SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-01-09, 07:52 AM   #21
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Help im losing oil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
A lot of it seems to depend on how the motor is run in, and general tolerances from the factory.
The motors are built well, everything depends on the run in - for every engine that's broken by not being run in carefully enough, there are a thousand that never make full power and use oil all of their life due to being babied when new.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-09, 08:56 AM   #22
Learningcurve

Default Re: Help I'm losing oil (Actually it's my bike that's losing oil).

Hiya, are you saying dont be too careful with it during run in, otherwise it could use lots of oil in the future?

Im interested cos im running mine in at the moment. I dont "baby it" too much. I do load the engine up a bit, and use up to 6000 revs when i can as the manual recommends.

Should I be giving it more beans to help it bed in better?
Old 28-01-09, 09:09 AM   #23
Alpinestarhero

Engine running in has caused some division. Some swear by the book, others say that you should, or can be, be harder on the engine than the manufacture may suggest. From what I've read, the problem lies with the pistons "sealing" against the bores during initial run-in. Modern oils are so good, that if you are too gentle, then there will always be a thin film between the new piston and new bore, hence they'll never sort of "rub" against each other to creat a good seal (am I right so far?). By being a bit more confident and brave during the run-in period, or at least not being a wimp, then you allow the pistons to work against the bores and everything forms a tight seal, through which no oil can escape (or very little oil).

Have I explained this correctly?

However, despite what I've said, it dosnt mean you can buy your new bike and go thrashing it from brand new - my dad knows of a guy who went through two brand new ZX-6R's in about 2000 miles (on each engine) because he thrashed it from new (lotsa throttle, redline etc) and destroyed the engine.

Alf's Motorcycles didn't give him a third one, he had to pay for it

Learning curve - my dad did the same thing with his GSXR when he got it new. He kept at the top end of what the manufacture recommended (when he could) and his bike hasn't ever "lost" a drop of oil (GSXR750 k6).

Matt
Old 28-01-09, 09:15 AM   #24
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learningcurve View Post
Should I be giving it more beans to help it bed in better?
I think you have the right idea. Just ride the bike normally and you'll be fine, dont baby the engine and dont go competely bonkers with the revs.

I was told by the dealer not to baby my motor when I ran my GSXR in. Just make sure its warmed up properly before you open the throttle on it and I'd also make sure the first service at 600 miles is done to.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote