SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-10-08, 09:39 AM   #21
xXBADGERXx

Default Re: Just had this on Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
like the bible then???

23 skidoo

LMAO , Don`t get me started on religion man , I worship the God of Tarmac every day of the week and will never go to a church on a Sunday to do a bit of "Clappy" for Jesus .
Old 05-10-08, 11:33 AM   #22
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Yeah, I'd sooner have my heart warmed by a true story, personally.
+1

Sadly the world isn't like that .. it is full of people trying to get something from the next man ...

I am surprised it didn't end with a "so give me $10 to give to Shay so I can buy him a baseball bat ..."

And we all know exactly where that would be going!!! .... but what worries me is how many saps would cough up??

If you want to warm your heart, don't read false or even true stories ... go out there and make someone else's life better* ...

As a little footnote:-

... Send this post to 5 of your friends and give me $5 or you will be hexed!!

*that bit I am actually serious about! .. there is only one person that can spread the love - that will actually mean anything ... and it is you!!

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 05-10-08 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-10-08, 11:38 AM   #23
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S;1644547[SIZE=1
.. there is only one person that can spread the love - that will actually mean anything ... and it is you!! [/SIZE]

aww blues nice after all

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-08, 11:57 AM   #24
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
aww blues nice after all
Its a bit like love, seeing people in love in a film can give you a warm feeling inside {depens voice} - if you are a pu55ey ...

But how does that actually rank to being in love?

Seeing someone win a race/match/game/contest gives you a buzz ...

But how does that actually rank to winning a race/match/game/contest yourself?!!?

Hearing a story of someone helping someone can give you a warm feeling ...

But how does it compare to actually helping someone!?!?

My original objection was not the story itself, but the fact it was a chain letter ... therefore negating any 'niceness' that might have been contained in the story and lets face it threw any validity of it being in any way true straight out the window

... it was some w4nker pulling at sappy peoples heart strings to some devious end ... be this simply to clog up bandwidth, be it to source valid email addresses, be it to somewhere down the line make some money ... and there is not a single thing that is nice about that!

... is seeing a paedophile giving a child a sweetie - heart warming or is it actually really disturbing!?

I am not cold hearted, I can just distinguish between the real and BS

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 05-10-08 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-10-08, 05:51 PM   #25
silverelephant

Whether it's true or not I thought it was a lovely story. I get loads of these kinds of emails and I don't mind, sometimes they brighten up a long boring work day. What I can't stand is the ones that say if you don't send this to 20million people you'll die tomorrow. I just delete them, and I'm not dead yet
Old 05-10-08, 06:24 PM   #26
Baph

Now, I'm shocked, and astonished. Not because of the story, but because this is the second time today I'm going to agree with Blue_SV650S!!

Before I start, and I'll attempt not to rant too much, I'm coming at this from the perspective of having a mentally disabled child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
FFS its a chain letter, how dumb are you?!?!!
+1.

Quote:
Do you actually believe it is a true story?!!?
Nope, it's been around longer than I care to remember. It's always about a baseball game, but I'm not sure if the names have always been the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXBADGERXx View Post
Does it matter , it`s a nice and heartwarming "Story" , pretty much about people being nice to each other ..... and to those less fortunate .
A fairytale then.

Quote:
Yes it matters! ... the fact is it isn't a nice story ... that it was written with the intent of being a chain letter ... there is nothing nice about chain letters ... they are there to be destructive ...
+1. The very fact that the people who kick start chain letters picked this subject, purely because they know the emotional response that will ensue, f*&£s me off no end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMC View Post
Taking things far too seriously fella. The story may or may not be based on true events, but the source doesnt really matter, neither does it being a chain letter.
You may think it's taking things too seriously, I think it's exploiting the very real, and difficult situation millions of people around the world are forced to go through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i liked that story... from a personal point of view..

my wife became disabled last february after having a brain haemorrhage and burst blood vessel all at the same time.. she used to be the life and sole of party's (you couldn't shut her up) to now being dysphasic and lost the use of her left arm and leg...
so yes the above post may be a story.. but if you are the type of person who that story dosent touch ... then i think that you are probably the type of person who is so self obsessed that you would not hold a door open for anyone.. manners dont cost nowt and you would not believe the amount of ignorant muther fuc*ers out there.. try taking someone in a wheelchair out shopping for a day... it changes your prospectus on life...
Bibio, you have my sympathies. I know full well about the "ignorant so and so's" as you put it (and I edited a little). I've also done my bit as a kid, helping out disabled people (and at one time was qualified to teach BSL).

That story does touch me, just in completely the opposite way it does you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
Ugh. Schmaltzy American claptrap.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Yeah, I'd sooner have my heart warmed by a true story, personally.
+1. I have a fair few, just that there's no hope of me ever typing or even recalling them verbally, purely because I'd turn into a blubbering wreck & loose the ability to either type or talk.

Quote:
Sadly the world isn't like that .. it is full of people trying to get something from the next man ...
+1. There are some exceptions to the above, but those are very few & far between.
Quote:
If you want to warm your heart, don't read false or even true stories ... go out there and make someone else's life better* ...
+1.

PS. Badger, no offence taken by the post you made, it's good to be able to discuss this subject from time to time.

Funnily enough, a very similar situation to the one described in the OP has happened to my son, and more than once (just the same group of kids). Sometimes they bully him, sometimes they're more kind than even I can imagine. I think that's the hardest part for my son, not knowing where he stands. This story only tells you half the tale.

Soapbox, dismounted.
Old 05-10-08, 06:38 PM   #27
xXBADGERXx

No offence taken Baph , as I have stated , it was the feeling behind the "Story" that prompted me to post it , just to make people think . I knew I would get ripped a new one for posting it but I went ahead anyway . I have given my example of help I have given to others . In fact I have way too many "Helping" stories and have worked with disabled and under-privelaged kids in my time . Some kids from East London had no hope of anything on a course I was helping out on , all they had to look forward to was Gangs and a life of violence . Quite a few of them went on to undertake an Apprencticeship after some "Guidance" from myself in my own little way ........... Imagine a Drill Sergeant delivering you the honest and horrible truth of what your life could be like , that was my style . I was stopped a few years later by one of these kids . He had his own Plumbing business and shook my hand , I was perplexed until he reminded me who he was ........... "you were the guy that said `do you kiss your mum with that mouth`after you heard me swearing" , I knew exactly who he was and he told me that some of the other kids had enrolled and gone on to better things . Job done I reckon

I`ve spent time in Ayr in Scotland taking Disabled children Abseiling off a tower , hard work having a kid strapped into a chair on to your Harness . Them looking at you with fear and having to reassure them they are very safe , then leading them down to safety . I forgot how many times I had to go back up the tower and take the same kids down again . One guy said "Why are you spending time there when you could be having fun elsewhere on this course?" , I replied "I can do this any damn time I like mate , they can`t" .
Old 05-10-08, 07:04 PM   #28
silverelephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXBADGERXx View Post
I`ve spent time in Ayr in Scotland taking Disabled children Abseiling off a tower , hard work having a kid strapped into a chair on to your Harness . Them looking at you with fear and having to reassure them they are very safe , then leading them down to safety . I forgot how many times I had to go back up the tower and take the same kids down again . One guy said "Why are you spending time there when you could be having fun elsewhere on this course?" , I replied "I can do this any damn time I like mate , they can`t" .
Way better than the op and not a chain email in sight!