SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-10-12, 07:57 PM   #21
nikon70

Default Re: Collision whilst filtering - advice?

Just been outside, bolted a make shift brake pedal to the existing broken pedal, zip tied the indicator up and polished off the superficial marks.

Oh and bolted the exhaust back on too...

At least I can still ride it to work tomorrow.

How the feck do you replace that brake pedal thing looks a complete **** to do!

Last edited by nikon70; 01-10-12 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-10-12, 08:03 PM   #22
svrich

I think you'll be lucky to make a successful claim. It sounds like a difficult situation to portion blame to, without insurance it will be harder.
Try White Dalton, they were very good for me and generally have good feedback, although I know of a few that haven't had such good service.
Old 01-10-12, 08:06 PM   #23
Spank86

I don't think you could manage a claim against the truck driver.

Even if you could prove that whatever flash or wave he made really was a "I'm letting you out indicator", it doesn't take away the cyclists responsibility to manoeuvre safely, anymore than if a car had hit him when travelling normally in the other direction.
Old 01-10-12, 08:09 PM   #24
nikon70

I will probably end up small claims and use that filtering letter, unless white dalton can magic something up.

I really don't want to get screwed by my bike and car insurer for something as I can see was not my fault.
Old 01-10-12, 08:24 PM   #25
alfa.rbt

I know I'm not helping here but funny enough I've nearly was in the same situation! luckly I've managed to stop (zx6r brakes are really god). Really feel sorry for you and hope you will manage to get on top of that.
P's I hate cyclist's (most of them), they don't indidcate, go through red lights and doing all sort of stupid things and geting away with it.
Old 01-10-12, 08:39 PM   #26
nikon70

Oh I wish I could have just stopped.

The last email from his was "I simply cannot afford to pay to repair a motorbike for an accident that wasn't my fault"

Well according to the filtering letter it was his fault!
Old 01-10-12, 08:40 PM   #27
Spank86

Speak to a solicitor.
Old 01-10-12, 08:46 PM   #28
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

If it helps, I have a set of stock rearsets powder coated black, that are undamaged save for the powder coating being slightly worn away on the heel plates. I also have a number of spare indies, with a full set of clear lenses.

Might be worth you posting the parts that are damaged/need replacing as it'll be cheaper to fix up to keep you on the road now. If your claim is successful, you should still get new parts or cash equivalent to replace the damage.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-12, 08:48 PM   #29
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

agree with spank, if the accident wasn't his fault then why would he offer to pay?

i have found that most of the time they are polite a courteous because they dont want you to get anyone official involved and settle outside of official'ness. You'll find next that if you notify him of solicitors involvement or insurance companies their attitude will change.

go to solicitors and they'll steer you in the right direction, as heartless as it sounds i am a firm believer in screwing people for everything you can when it comes to accident claims ect but then that only because i have been screwed over so many times. My last claim ended up with me loosing wages with time off work as well as other expenses and all i was guilty of was legally driving at the speed limit to my parents house for my mums birthday.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-12, 07:21 AM   #30
victor_meldrew

Sorry, but how do you not get any witnesses ? I thought you were filtering between stationary traffic presumably with drivers in - did none of them see the accident !? Truck driver ?
Without witnesses your going to end up with 50:50 at best (your word against his), unless he has witnesses to uphold his point of view ....
Always try to get the name and address of a witness .. not always easy I know, however when you are trying to make sure cyclist doesnt leg it, and get his details...