SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-04-12, 07:58 PM   #21
AZZ3R

Default Re: Knee sliders .. whats the point ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitty View Post
Saved a front end slide once at mallory
Thats what Moto Gp riders use it for aswell or so I've read.

I find hanging off the bike alot more fun, I have friends that have never got there knee down & been riding 25+ years. & he's still faster than I'll ever be!

Getting your knee down isn't the fastest way around the corner, but if you want to get your knee down. Or hang off your bike. So be it, IMO.
Old 22-04-12, 08:01 PM   #22
NTECUK
Mega Poster

I think Paddy was more pointing out the hang off whilst the bikes upright merchant.
Personalty I feel happier hanging off the side a a bit but always catch my toe sliders.
Need to work on that
Old 22-04-12, 08:04 PM   #23
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Peg got his knee down once........when somebody finds it, can they reattach it to his leg please

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-12, 08:12 PM   #24
svrich

Mine stop the leather getting scuffed when I'm checking my tyre pressures. There's nowt fancy about my riding
Old 22-04-12, 08:25 PM   #25
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
I think Paddy was more pointing out the hang off whilst the bikes upright merchant.
Personalty I feel happier hanging off the side a a bit but always catch my toe sliders.
Need to work on that
How upright is your bike on sweeping roundabouts?

I hang off somewhat excessively when I ride, it's not actually to get my knee down my body/sv650 dimensions don't seem to allow it unless I lunge down uncomfortably mid corner, it's just the phycological comfort it gives me; less lean angle and I also seem to think if there's something unexpected round the bend I'm already in position to crank the bike right over which is always nice to have up your sleeve as well as' brake like hell'. I do it in textiles and jeans, I'd prefer people to think I was a spaztic rather than a showoff/**** rider but ho-hum I can't really help what people think. I'm comfortable with the above fact and it doesn't bother me, just the thought of someone random coming up to me and making a jibe...well if I was overly sensitive I may try concentrating on not riding like that on the way home & maybe end up in a bush.

Last time me and a mate played 'swap riding styles' I almost ended up over a wall which was not too funny. Watching a harleydavidson rider with his knee inches from the floor overtake a gixxer and then continue to stay on the righthand side of the road for the next mile was a bit more humorous

Last edited by Dave20046; 22-04-12 at 08:27 PM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-12, 08:56 PM   #26
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
How upright is your bike on sweeping roundabouts?

I hang off somewhat excessively when I ride, it's not actually to get my knee down my body/sv650 dimensions don't seem to allow it unless I lunge down uncomfortably mid corner, it's just the phycological comfort it gives me; less lean angle and I also seem to think if there's something unexpected round the bend I'm already in position to crank the bike right over which is always nice to have up your sleeve as well as' brake like hell'. I do it in textiles and jeans, I'd prefer people to think I was a spaztic rather than a showoff/**** rider but ho-hum I can't really help what people think. I'm comfortable with the above fact and it doesn't bother me, just the thought of someone random coming up to me and making a jibe...well if I was overly sensitive I may try concentrating on not riding like that on the way home & maybe end up in a bush.

Last time me and a mate played 'swap riding styles' I almost ended up over a wall which was not too funny. Watching a harleydavidson rider with his knee inches from the floor overtake a gixxer and then continue to stay on the righthand side of the road for the next mile was a bit more humorous
Dave, again, you just described my riding style and 'thoughts' almost to a T.

I think sometimes, people forget riding a bike ie riding styles are/should be a personal thing. The is no one/set way of 'doling it' . There are the 'basic set guidelines', which can/are then interpreted a host of different way....to reach a common goal.

We are not all built(or even wired haha) the same way so you have to work out the best way that works for you...whilst keeping the 'basics' in mind.

It's a bit like the '70%/30%' or whatever mantra , when it comes to braking. It doesn't matter how you do it(how do folks even measure the percentages lol) provided you are able to stop quickly and safely, in the shortest distance possible...for any particular set of circimstances.

Put another way, you can give me all the figures or even tell me you only use the front brake blah blah but if I'm still able to stop quicker than you, even when you are theoretically using the most efficient ratio of front to rear, then you are still excrement compared to me ...who's got it right now then

If I could ebven attempt to pretend I could teach anyone anything, my best advice would be, "Train yourself to be dynamic thinking biker" . Watch, see, listen, etc....plenty of lessons to be learnt from even the most unlikely(seemingly) of sources but ultimately, you are the only one that can find 'your balance' ....
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us

Last edited by 21QUEST; 22-04-12 at 09:00 PM.
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-12, 09:14 PM   #27
Lozzo

For some people it's achieving 65mpg, others it's hitting 186mph, and for us blessed few riding gods who can manage it, it's getting our knee down

He does it because he bloody well can, and that's all the excuse he needs.
Old 22-04-12, 09:44 PM   #28
Bluepete
Mega Poster

I tried, oh God, how I tried!

Round and round knee down roundabout I went on my trusty SV.

Toes we scraped, poo was passed, urine was taken, but to no avail.

My knee sliders remained as virginal as a very white, prudish thing!

Now, I'm firmly in the "don't want to" camp.

Put it this way. Have you seen how high a Tiger 1050 is? To get my knee down on that would require dislocating my hip and knee and abandoning all hope of surviving!

I enjoy riding how I have been trained. I'm not the fastest, and I know a big bloke sitting bolt upright on a tall bike hooning about the place looks daft, but I'm happy with my progress.

If I had the chance on a sports bike would I try?

Hell yeah!

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-12, 09:55 PM   #29
DJFridge

On a track, I might give it a go. Road surfaces round here? Half of them are so uneven, your knee slider wouldn't slide - it would bounce. And that's the good bits. You'd have to be mad to try because you'd just end up with a dislocated kneecap.
Old 22-04-12, 10:43 PM   #30
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Those of you coming to AR 12 will get the opportunity to indulge.
But as stated is a personal thing .plus one part of the route your going to feel like a mot GP god even if your on a 125.