SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 10-02-05, 09:10 PM   #21
scooby2102

Right, thats me convinced, will check out their website then get signed up.

Thanks for the advice everyone
Old 10-02-05, 11:39 PM   #22
Tigerrrr.......

IAM = Institute of Advanced Motorists (not Motoring)

I already posted this a few months ago, but I did my IAM test through City School of Motorcycling (CSM) in Edinburgh.

The instructor was John Underwood, the school owner, (see yourbiketest.com) and I spent one full day with him (yes, ONE day). It was a Monday. I practised on the Tuesday and Wednesday on my own, then sat my IAM test on the Friday afternoon.

I passed. Not because I'm the best rider in the world, but because the standard of training from John was top class and it was 1:1 teaching.

Highly recommended.

I say forget all this 10 week nonsense. Get John to teach you. Same price (approx £90), a great guy and superb training.

Tell him I sent you!
Old 11-02-05, 12:08 PM   #23
DaBlackKnight

Default intresting...

just did another online quote there...

added that i have done the AIM course
(checking to see what price deduction is)

last year - £182.42...(3pft)

this years best quote, so far with same insurance company....

1 years no claim bonus....
lisence is clean.....(was clean over 2 years ago, but still had to decalre it!)
AIM completed.....

the quote was - £180.70 (3pft)

all those 3 positive things above only got £1.72 off?!!?
WTF!?!!?!?

DBK
Old 11-02-05, 02:15 PM   #24
Tigerrrr.......

What's an AIM course?
Old 11-02-05, 04:19 PM   #25
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerrrr.......
IAM = Institute of Advanced Motorists (not Motoring)

I already posted this a few months ago, but I did my IAM test through City School of Motorcycling (CSM) in Edinburgh.

The instructor was John Underwood, the school owner, (see yourbiketest.com) and I spent one full day with him (yes, ONE day). It was a Monday. I practised on the Tuesday and Wednesday on my own, then sat my IAM test on the Friday afternoon.

I passed. Not because I'm the best rider in the world, but because the standard of training from John was top class and it was 1:1 teaching.

Highly recommended.

I say forget all this 10 week nonsense. Get John to teach you. Same price (approx £90), a great guy and superb training.

Tell him I sent you!

how the hell did you get a test so quickly with a qualified iam examiner? there are only a few out there and none in the glasgow area or edinburgh area, the nearest guy is stirling at the moment? or is it just advanced training you did or are you a member of the institute. lots of people do advanced training but you dont become a member of the institute.

and knighty boy its not all about money its about being a safer rider.
Old 11-02-05, 04:45 PM   #26
Tigerrrr.......

Yes Nutty, I'm a member of the IAM (membership number 170**4) for car and bike, and also a member of the Edinburgh & District Advanced Motorcyclists group (EDAM).

I booked my test about four weeks before sitting it in May 2004. My examiner was a Sergeant Jameson from Lothian & Borders Police (I think).

I had my training with John Underwood on the Monday and sat my test on the Friday. Met Sergeant Jameson at the Newbridge roundabout and headed out to West Lothian. Test lasted about an hour and 15 minutes. He gave me a couple of points to work on, but said I was certainly up to the standard required for IAM membership.

One thing I remember him saying at the start was any traffic offence was an instant fail, especially speeding.

Cheers.

Grrr...
Old 11-02-05, 04:50 PM   #27
Scooby Drew

I can thoroughly recommend John, he is the greatest. He started on at me about advanced while I was doing my DAS and have done a days course with him. I have done numerous runs with him, that's where I got some of the route that we did last year to Berwick, he uses that for training. I even stick to the speed limit with him although I think I once saw about 65 when following him.

Quote:
One thing I remember him saying at the start was any traffic offence was an instant fail, especially speeding.
I failed my ROSPA for this but had a migraine and shouldn't really have been riding. My concentration was not really up to it and I hit a 30 zone @ 35 Tut tut...
Old 11-02-05, 06:38 PM   #28
scooby2102

Your all dead right ref John at CSM, did my training and test with them, did the CBT with John, excellent guy, his missus Pat (i think) is spot on as well, encourages you and fires you up even when having an absolute sh^te ride.

Think I'll do the IAM via John's school as I was going to do some advanced training with them anyway.

Incidentally, I found all the instructers really good during the training, cant remember most of their names but Colin was a really good instructor, it was him that advised me to do the test on the 125's as he was sure I would pass (kept dropping the GS500's !).

Anyway, as I said, will contact them at City School in Seafield as I hope to start pretty soon.

Will let you all know how I get on.

Cheers the noo
Scooby2102
Old 21-02-05, 09:57 PM   #29
scooby2102

Default EDAM - IAM...

Had a look at their website and received the application forms on Sat morning.

Dont know where best to sign up, Edinburgh or Glasgow(ish) although the Glasgow or surrounding area would probably suit better since work based there.

Any ideas anybody or has anyone done the test with the Edinburgh District chaps ?
Old 21-02-05, 10:06 PM   #30
Sponge

Scooby, when you thinking of doing the course?