SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

EuroTour An area to discuss potential European trips, and to ask advice about long distance touring.

Old 31-05-10, 07:46 PM   #21
littleoldman

Default Re: Route Napoleon / Stelvio Pass / Black Forest

Never used sat nav and don't need it in uk (in car or on bike) as most of the time on the bike I don't care if I get lost afterall its another new road. Have traveled Europe in the car with wife n map no probs. What sat nav do you guys n gals use . I have many questions such as how do you work the touch screen when with gloves on I've got fingers as big as cows tits. Regards Mal
Old 31-05-10, 07:57 PM   #22
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

I don't have a fancy bike specific one (but I do want one). Just a normal garmin that I put in the clear window of the tankpad. You can still press the buttons when it's in there, just not very easily
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-10, 08:06 PM   #23
L3nny
Mega Poster

My mate has an all singing all dancing Garmin thing.

I never use a satnav, i just follow him lol.
Old 31-05-10, 10:37 PM   #24
Tilt

Your original route actually missed the stelvio pass which is in the park stelvio just to the east of where you were turning nort into switzerland for Davos.

The road from Nice to Milan via the Astis region is fun whilst topping the Alps but not great after that. There is a biking tour to the SE of Aup but its off your beat and the country side is very much hazlenut orchards and vinyards. Road North of Asti to Milan is a grinder.

Sat Navs help if your riding to a schedule. I use my GPS on my phone via audio only.

Re route s de grand alps

Briancon is a lovely place to stay (old town) if you want to split this or better still take the alpine route (from Nice) upto Chamonix (over night there) then cross to switzerland and take the Simplon Pass out of switzerland into the Italian lakes (overnight in Varrena ..beautiful) then head for Stelvio via St Moritz looping up into Austria Before striking out for the black forest.

Last edited by Tilt; 31-05-10 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-06-10, 12:30 PM   #25
L3nny
Mega Poster

Thanks Tilt, just the sort of advice I am after.

Does this route include all the places you said?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&so...,14.128418&z=6
Old 01-06-10, 09:57 PM   #26
Tilt

Nearly but that route seems very interesting. You will not make Chamonix to innsbruk in one day. certainly not using all thiose twisties.

At Martigny get on the auto route. Its the same valley the same views and its quicker than farting from one little Swiss village to another at 60 Km/hr. The prize is at the end ie Simplon.

If you leave early enough you may make Valsoldo (Lake Lugano) for lunch. We stayed there last year. There is a bikers cafe on the right as you enter town. or avery nice lake fron Hotel on the left in the middle of town (well its a big village really). Plus you buy food in Euros and not Swiss francs. The road to Managgio is fun if you had time the road south via San Fedele (and then up the lake side to Managgio is even more fun but I dont think you do have the time.

Your route after St Moritz is very technical and will slow you down. Plan on ending your day at or near Merano.

The next day take the motor way over/thru the Brenner and on upto Innsbruck then join your posted route. You show it joining the 309 (Deutche Alpine strasse) but its not the best bit (DAS is better to the east of where you join) and IMO the 199/308 is the better route to Immenstadt with some challenging twisties before you break out north of the lake for the run to the black forest. Go straight for Frieberg or somewhere centrally on the 500 (OTW to Frieberg)ready for the next day.
Old 01-06-10, 10:14 PM   #27
L3nny
Mega Poster

Thanks again. Was planning on taking 3 days to do that Route from Nice to Innsbruck, want to get to places mid afternoon so I have time to explore them before bed time.

With regards to going on the Swiss motorway, don't you need a special pass for that. Seems a bit of a waste of time buying one for only a couple of hundred miles.

Don't suppose you could quickly make a google maps route of what you just said for the Austria bit and post up a link. It's very difficult to plan a route to places I've never heard of and have no idea where they are.

Cheers mate.

Last edited by L3nny; 01-06-10 at 10:15 PM.
L3nny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 10:24 PM   #28
Ed

Think I'd best print off this thread and all the linkies too
Old 02-06-10, 04:52 PM   #29
jacksuzukisv650

i just come back from stelvio i wouldnt go this time of year it was closed all week .. last week . most of the passes was closed from avalanches..
Old 02-06-10, 05:08 PM   #30
L3nny
Mega Poster

Do you think it would be ok in late August?