SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-10-09, 11:18 PM   #21
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Default Re: What Tyres To Put On? Sticky Tyres.

I'd go for Pirelli Diablo Rosso in your situation:

http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&sou...y21fCGbiXPHiJg

Didn't like Michellin PP 2CT's at all. Standard Qualifiers are good, but the RR's are much nicer.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30

Last edited by lukemillar; 19-10-09 at 11:23 PM.
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-09, 08:20 AM   #22
timwilky
Mega Poster

As a Rosso user I of course recommend them. However the Pirelli UK website does not list them in SV sizes. How annoying your New Zealand one does.

Then again not having an SV any more, it doesn't really affect me. Beyond making my recommendations to current SV riders look silly.
Old 20-10-09, 09:08 AM   #23
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
As a Rosso user I of course recommend them. However the Pirelli UK website does not list them in SV sizes. How annoying your New Zealand one does.

Then again not having an SV any more, it doesn't really affect me. Beyond making my recommendations to current SV riders look silly.
It's probably US actually! We won't get those tyres for a few years yet Don't see why they wouldn't get supplied in SV sizes in the UK though?
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-09, 10:41 AM   #24
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

I can't praise the Michelin Pilot Road 2's enough. Great tyre, dual compound. sticky enough for stoopid antics and excellent life.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-09, 01:48 PM   #25
CheGuevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Race take offs make more sense for what you want to do.
+1. I think I paid ~£40 for my current set with plenty of tread left. They might not be worth those last few seconds in a race, but I ran them at a track day over the summer and they stuck like poop to a shag carpet. And at that price it doesn't matter if they last a long time.

Probably not the best in very cold or wet weather though - but just ride accordingly.

Last edited by CheGuevara; 20-10-09 at 01:49 PM.
CheGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-09, 02:29 PM   #26
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Nah, I had some dragon SC pros and they were the same, brilliant when warmed up but not much fun when it was hammering it down.
Old 20-10-09, 03:27 PM   #27
Steve_God
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheGuevara View Post
+1. I think I paid ~£40 for my current set with plenty of tread left. They might not be worth those last few seconds in a race, but I ran them at a track day over the summer and they stuck like poop to a shag carpet. And at that price it doesn't matter if they last a long time.

Probably not the best in very cold or wet weather though - but just ride accordingly.
Very true... I was using some Supercorsa Pros commuting through winter last year and bejesus did that get scary at times!!!
(I had plenty of tread left from the summer and was too tight to get them changed until they needed to go)
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008
Steve_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-09, 03:33 PM   #28
NedSVS

I used Supercorsa Pro's for over a year, (used race tyres in SC1 & SC2 compound) but went off them when I had a big slide on the Cat & Fiddle. I wasn't going fast and this is the problem - they only work well when warm. They therefore encourage you to perhaps ride faster than you should, and in cold weather they are almost impossible to get warm without pushing on real hard.
I'm currently running Avon Viper sports which I like a lot, but am greatly dissapointed that they look like I'm only going to get 3500 to 4000 miles out of them. But I do like them so much I'm considering some of the new dual compound VP2 version.
NedSVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-09, 03:59 PM   #29
Dave20046
Mega Poster

any avon storms users done the exodus to vp2s yet?
Old 20-10-09, 04:16 PM   #30
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Might do when I've killed these. But the SV is going to get some more interesting work done on it and the GPZ taking over commuting duty, so maybe I will put something sticky on SV.

Charlie13 has tried some.