SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-03-07, 10:15 PM   #21
Baph

Default Re: Other bikers who sneak up behind you..

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
I got this alot when I had my scooter - i guess L-Plates means "scare the ****e outta me, I'm only a wobbly scooter rider".
Personal stand point:

When I see L plates, that's good for a "got to slow down, I remember what I was like back on L's, they already wobble in a straight like, no need to make them wobble into me!"

Kids on scooters are seen as dangerous in my eyes & get given more of a wide birth than WVM's!

When I'm behind someone, I'll purposefully change my road positioning so that I can see their visor in their mirror. That way I know that if they bother looking behind them, they'll see me. Not everyone uses mirrors though (suicidal bu**ers!)

When I was on the CG125, wearing L plates. I had the ultimate overtake. On the A5, nice twisty section, serious lack of confidence. Taking it easy, looking more in the mirrors than I was looking forwards, expecting someone to come from behind me. Then a massive engine noise, seriously screaming, high revving. Then it's gone. What the....??!?!?!

The only thing I can conclude, is that it was a low level training flight from RAF Valley, and bu**ger me did it s*** me up!

I remember that experience everytime I'm behind someone. I'm not going to cause anything similar to that, ever.
Old 11-03-07, 10:25 PM   #22
Demonz

i get this all the time - when im in the volvo...

...Im usually more annoyed at myself i didnt spot them earlier in my mirrors though - be it in car or on bike.
Old 11-03-07, 11:00 PM   #23
Beenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmonsta View Post
i get this all the time - when im in the volvo...

...Im usually more annoyed at myself i didnt spot them earlier in my mirrors though - be it in car or on bike.
Volvo: nown: Type of well made Swedish car sold on safety; often found at the front of slow moving traffic. Mirrors optional usage, indicators optional usage. Alternatives, Jaguar saloon, Camper van, farm vehicle, Tank

Sorry could not resist.
Old 11-03-07, 11:29 PM   #24
Baph

I actually got accused of hiding behind someone in their blind spot today.

Shame that I'd been following him for about 10miles before he bothered looking in his mirrors, then shat himself because I was in high-vis & thought I was a bike cop

I love weekend warriors (his mate backed me up, and had seen me just before I actually joined them)

Last edited by Baph; 11-03-07 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-03-07, 11:40 PM   #25
PeterM

I have to fess up to scaring the crap out of a friend on a ride when passing them. I was a good 3m away but they were playing with another bike overtaking one another (just got their '04 650n). I was trying to resist the temptation but it got all too much and decided to play too.

They were impressed that they were doing 160km/h and then crapped their daks when a yellow roar went flying past. She admits that she wasn't looking in the mirrors or expecting me, we still have a chuckle over it almost 2 years later.
Old 12-03-07, 07:36 AM   #26
K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
I love weekend warriors
Hey, back off the Weekend Warriors - we're not all twots you know...

... not all 24/7 riders are angels either.
Old 12-03-07, 08:04 AM   #27
ivantate

No reason to pass so close though, I also let the riders in front see me before I pass them. Self preservation really as I know that I tend to swerve around in the lane a fair bit depending on the road, wind, how I feel etc... .

Is it safe to assume anyone on a Gixer will pull a move when coming up behind an SV?
Old 12-03-07, 08:43 AM   #28
Bluewolf

Last edited by Bluewolf; 06-04-11 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-03-07, 08:50 AM   #29
timwilky
Mega Poster

Whilst I have found on certain rides with mates, that people I know are behind me suddenly decide to go for it and blast past. I do think that if you are surprised by an overtaking bike then you may not be doing all the observations you should.

Don't fault a rider for overtaking you. Fault yourself for not knowing he was there. When ever you consider any manouvre also consider is the guy behind may also be wanting to overtake. Am I actually impeeding the progress of the guy behind? etc.

Yes there are some who buzz you, simply to goad you into taking them on. But these are normally the Richard Heads with more bike than ability. don't let them goad you.
Old 12-03-07, 08:59 AM   #30
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by K View Post
Hey, back off the Weekend Warriors - we're not all twots you know...

... not all 24/7 riders are angels either.
Sorry miss