SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-06-12, 12:01 PM   #21
femaleacid

Default Re: looking for advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post
Well, if you slam your brakes on chances are you'll wind up sliding down the road after that anyway but if you manage to avoid that you can stop quicker and with more directional control.

I'm not trying to get at your BF or suggest my spur of the monet decision sare any better (They're probably worse) but the law on going into the back of someone is pretty black and white for a reason.
Didn't think for a second you was getting at my BF

I think it's one of those on-the-spot descisions and he's not had an accident since. Touch wood.
It's a very hard one to figure out about the law and who's fault is who's in this sort of situation I guess.
Old 14-06-12, 02:06 PM   #22
Spank86

Ok, that was supposed to say "spur of the moment", not sure how it became monet when I dont even have a spellchecker or predictive text.
Old 14-06-12, 02:14 PM   #23
femaleacid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post
Ok, that was supposed to say "spur of the moment", not sure how it became monet when I dont even have a spellchecker or predictive text.
I've only just realised that it said that!
Old 14-06-12, 05:37 PM   #24
craig dow

hi all and thanks for all your comments , i know it was his fault as said you are surpose to give pleanty of stoping distance between you and the vehicle in frount , and if you hit it then you were to close full stop , he has been driveing for four years so he wont lose his licence , but will cost him, with fine , and to replace his van , as wont get much back off insurance , and then his insurance will be sky high , but hope he will have learnt now ,
thanks again , and i do agree if i was going to hit the back of something i think i would let the bike go and try and slide on road then go in the air , but then i think thats a normal reaction , hope im never in that situation , but iv only passed my bike test 8 weeks ago so lots ahead of me yet , but with my age i think it might help ,
any way thanks again , and i hope you all stay safe out there ,
Old 14-06-12, 05:38 PM   #25
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig dow View Post
hi my son was comeing out to mine to do some work , and he went through a 30 speed sign , new tar on road and work going on , and a woman in frount missed her turning and slamed on her brakes and son went right into the back of her , police wasnt going to do any thing , but my son said he was doing 40 as its usaly a 60mph road , but the copper said its a 30 so they charged him son said he never seen 30 sign and after that there is 3 nattion speed signs on that wee bit of road and they wernt coverd up , has he got a case as i would of thought they should of been coverd just a thought , but sure he will lose the case as he went into the back of her , what do you think ???

IS THAT YOU JOE MARCON?... Stop it.

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-12, 05:44 PM   #26
Spank86

Does anyone else with more experience than me want to chime in on the laying it down debate?

I was always told it was a very bad idea as it removes all control and increases stopping distance as well as guaranteeing damage to both yourself and bike but I have no practical experience at it,
Old 14-06-12, 05:44 PM   #27
Messie
The Teacer
Mega Poster

Here, a gift
some full stops for you to use. Oh and some
;;;;,,,,,
just for good luck
Old 14-06-12, 05:51 PM   #28
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by femaleacid View Post
For starters, this is the EXACT problem my boyfriend had!

It was wet through on the road just driving down the main road, somebody infront slammed their breaks on for no reason whatsoever so obviously my boyfriend had to just throw his bike on road otherwise he wouldn't of gone over the car. So he dropped his bike and the bike skidded down the road which then clipped the persons bumped and unclipped it out of place (which could of been repaired within 2 minutes)
His bike was mangled, his sife and front fairings were binned, his forks were bent and the radiator was screwed.

As this went through insurance, the persons in the car claimed whiplash, car repairs - almost everything.
YET my boyfriend had to pay out.

Pretty ridiculous if you ask me because slamming your breaks on in front and knowing fair well theres a bike behind you is a stupid if you ask me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
Sorry, but if a kid/dog/deer runs out in front of me in my car I'm going to slam on the brakes, no matter who is following me. The person following owes me a duty of care to ride/drive accordingly and be able to stop.

It was probably an accident management company inflating that claim but that's the way it works now, right or wrong. Making it even more important to keep your distance.
More likely to be some scumbags, scamming your BF's insurance company, especially as they'd claimed for wiplash
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-12, 05:56 PM   #29
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
Don't talk to the police. (ok so its US based but food for thought)

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

so, totally off topic from the original post, but I just got a thorough schooling on the 5th amendment & I'm only 20 mins into SK's video. Awesome david, thank you very much, Rob is back from being on holiday tomorrow so willl have to sort out london town beers etc.

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-12, 05:59 PM   #30
femaleacid

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
More likely to be some scumbags, scamming your BF's insurance company, especially as they'd claimed for wiplash
That's what I thought, it was ridiculous claiming for that stuff when the bike just clipped the bumper. It could of been clipped in within a matter of minutes.

Also, my boyfriend saw a woman trade places with the man in the drivers seat so I think what happened was that she wasn't insured, swapped places and it was then claimed on the man.
The only thing I don't get is they slammed on, for no reason whatsoever, and there was a small baby in the back of the car! If my boyfriend would of slammed through that back window then imagine the harm.

I suppose it could be argued from apposed sides.