SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-11-06, 04:56 PM   #21
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipMac
She doesnt know a terminal from a ducks @rse.
How about this?
I can't see no picture in your post Filipe (excuse the double negative, and I haven't quoted the img URL just in case it starts working later).

I know what it is from the URL, but can't see it.
Old 10-11-06, 04:57 PM   #22
philipMac

Quote:
Quote:
How about this?

Jaysus Filipe. So, even the ducks are hairy round your neck of the woods?
Does it get very cold in Portugal in the winter or what...
Old 10-11-06, 04:58 PM   #23
Filipe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph
Quote:
Quote:
How about this?
I can't see no picture in your post Filipe (excuse the double negative, and I haven't quoted the img URL just in case it starts working later).

I know what it is from the URL, but can't see it.
Weird, it does show up here, might be the cache. I'll re-link to the thread instead, thanks for the warning.
Old 10-11-06, 05:04 PM   #24
timwilky
Mega Poster

TBH, I have been using *nix for about 15 years, started on things such as SunOS and Apollo and having come from a VAX environment CLIs were my normal tool. Once you get to about your 5th operating system, it is a bit like languages, the next one get easier as you see similarities. Although the first thing I ever did in *nix was to re-create my usual VMS commands by aliasing scripts to the VMS command etc.

I even bought an EDT clone for SunOS/Solaris as vi was such a pain in the bum.

Things are a lot easier these days as people no longer really need to build custom kernels. etc.
Old 10-11-06, 05:08 PM   #25
northwind
Mega Poster

See, with windows all you have to do is click everything till something happens, and if nothing happens reinstall it. Dead easy. But with Linux, you have to be able to type.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-06, 05:08 PM   #26
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky
I even bought an EDT clone for SunOS/Solaris as vi was such a pain in the bum.

Things are a lot easier these days as people no longer really need to build custom kernels. etc.
I know the issues you had with vi, trust me, it was a standard error. Usually described as PEBKAC!

Custom kernels, yes, aren't needed, mainly due to the fact kernels now work on a modular basis, so you can plug any module you like in there, most of the time you don't even need to reboot. Though that's mainly for customised drivers, and the masses wouldn't really need to bother with it (unless doing the NTFS mod for a dual boot obviously)
Old 10-11-06, 05:10 PM   #27
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
See, with windows all you have to do is click everything till something happens, and if nothing happens reinstall it. Dead easy. But with Linux, you have to be able to type.
The whole point of a GUI is that you click, not type. You click on icons to launch programs. Heck, even insert your favourite USB pen drive, and it'll pop-up a window showing you the files, without you having to tell it to (unlike windows, which asks you what you want to do with it - that pi$$e$ me off!). Then you just click the files, and they open in their appropriate application.

Oh yea, and by default, most distro's use single click to open, which can be a little off putting at first if you're used to double clicking, but I never did like double clicking, waste of time & effort.
Old 10-11-06, 05:13 PM   #28
philipMac

Old 10-11-06, 05:19 PM   #29
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
The whole point of a GUI is that you click, not type. You click on icons to launch programs. Heck, even insert your favourite USB pen drive, and it'll pop-up a window showing you the files, without you having to tell it to (unlike windows, which asks you what you want to do with it - that pi$$e$ me off!). Then you just click the files, and they open in their appropriate application.
And that's exactly what the Linux people tell the Windows people. Then the Windows people, suckered in by the impossible-to-resist temptation of an OS that doesn't use more resources than your biggest application, they install it, they get a command line, and they end up asking SV650.org how to open a Windows manager
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-06, 06:59 PM   #30
philipMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
Quote:
And that's exactly what the Linux people tell the Windows people. Then the Windows people, suckered in by the impossible-to-resist temptation of an OS that doesn't use more resources than your biggest application, they install it, they get a command line, and they end up asking SV650.org how to open a Windows manager
And they we are back to wyrness's remark, freinds dont install Debian .
With Ubuntu you do get a win manager. Everything is **** easy. Seriously. To install almost any app made takes four clicks. System->Admin->Synaptic->name of app you want. Install. Next please.

My wifes Ma is no hacker. She knows almost nothing about computers, but she uses her Linux box, without assistance without difficulty.

BUT people have to insist in going on about how they rule the CLI interface and scare everyone else off Linux.

I will say it again. My wifes Ma knows *nothing* about computers. She uses Linux everyday without any problem. She doesnt have to worry about security, firewalls, etc etc.

Here endeth the very boring sermon.