SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-05-09, 06:34 PM   #21
Bluefish

Default Re: fish tailing like mad

Good job you haven't sold the Virago yet
Old 04-05-09, 06:36 PM   #22
Alpinestarhero

Following on from tazdaz's reply, do you "blip" the throttle on downchanges to reduce the risk of the rear tyre loosing grip?

Inspect for any oil leaks, chain lube fling onto the rear ture etc. You say the problem also happens during cornering - is it more prominent through either left turns or right turns?

I'm going with tyre pressures at this stage, but there could be a slim chance its the rear shock. How old is the bike, and its milage?
Old 04-05-09, 06:39 PM   #23
davepreston

waiting for mate with tpg
it might just be me but right turns are really scary
15000 on the bike its a 99
Old 04-05-09, 06:43 PM   #24
ophic
Mega Poster

taken into account the weather? not being funny here - we've some good dry spells followed by a load of rain - this will make the roads very greasy.
Old 04-05-09, 06:46 PM   #25
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepreston View Post
waiting for mate with tpg
it might just be me but right turns are really scary
15000 on the bike its a 99
Check the right side of both tyres. Check the rear brake is not binding aswell? With those miles and that age, the rear shock will be a bit tired but shouldn't be giving those problems, I'd think you can rule it out
Old 04-05-09, 06:48 PM   #26
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazDaz View Post
If you knock it down a few gears whilst on the front brake, if the revs happen to bounce high enough it may spin the wheel up a bit which can feel weird.
Whats driving the wheel in that scenario ?

How do you spin the wheel in the direction of travel ( which is what I think you are impying ) when the throttle is shut and no fuel is being admited to cylinders to burn to move the bike forward.

Cant see what you're getting at...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-09, 06:51 PM   #27
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post

How do you spin the wheel in the direction of travel ( which is what I think you are impying ) when the throttle is shut and no fuel is being admited to cylinders to burn to move the bike forward.

Perhaps he means that the decelaration of the rear wheel is too great...low gear + high rpm = lots of engine braking, eeeeek
Old 04-05-09, 06:59 PM   #28
TazDaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
Perhaps he means that the decelaration of the rear wheel is too great...low gear + high rpm = lots of engine braking, eeeeek
Obvisouly this could be nonsense, I'm not an expert or owt - just I thought this was one of the reasons racers use the rear brake quite heavily!

If you're hooning down the road, apply the front brake so the weight is on the front, but at the same time knock it down a few gears which will cause the revs to shoot up. Won't this cause the rear to try and spin quicker than the front???
Old 04-05-09, 07:14 PM   #29
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

If it is just happening on right handers I'd check the wheels are aligned as has been already said.
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-09, 07:15 PM   #30
sam anon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazDaz View Post
Obvisouly this could be nonsense, I'm not an expert or owt - just I thought this was one of the reasons racers use the rear brake quite heavily!

If you're hooning down the road, apply the front brake so the weight is on the front, but at the same time knock it down a few gears which will cause the revs to shoot up. Won't this cause the rear to try and spin quicker than the front???
No, the revs only rise on downchanges as the engine is then being driven by the rear wheel. The engine will only rev as much rear wheel makes it rev, so won't spin up the back.

The engine braking can overcome the rear wheel and lock it up though, as editted.

As has been stated, I'd look at head bearings, tyre pressures, and all the swingarm pivots.

Last edited by sam anon; 04-05-09 at 07:19 PM.