SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-07-09, 09:03 PM   #21
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Default Re: Italian Beef recipe (if you're not already bored with me posting these)

You calling my missus a hairy biker???

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-09, 01:50 PM   #22
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Default Re: Italian Beef recipe (if you're not already bored with me posting these)

Thanks guys and VT......maybe Mr. VT should post his recipe on the forum too. I don't do much baking, mainly cakes and bread, but would love a good treacle sponge recipe!
Old 26-07-09, 03:51 PM   #23
pookie

made the beef last night..mrs pookie very happy now..a very hearty dish and goes very well with a bottle of wine many thx GG .. I added some mushrooms that were around
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-09, 05:18 PM   #24
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie View Post
made the beef last night..mrs pookie very happy now..a very hearty dish and goes very well with a bottle of wine many thx GG .. I added some mushrooms that were around
Cool, glad you both liked it! The classic version has mushrooms so well done there....I just have to be in the right mood for mushrooms so left them out...lol.

Made an incredible soup last night. I'll be bringing a MASSIVE vat of the stuff to the AR, so might bring some disposable cups if people want to try it. Stretchie and I actually think it's one of my best inventions yet!
Old 26-07-09, 06:24 PM   #25
Von Teese

OMG, Im the same about mushrooms, if we get pizza and they are on there, I always swap them. I made my potato bake and rib-eye steak and courgettes and chips (proper fried ones) with garlic bread for supper last night and we had a choccy fondant with vanilla ice cream after.

Im going to try your beef one soon, just need to use up the stuff we have at the mo before the AR.

I found a really good recipe for a healthy curry, was going to make it tonight but Mr VT wanted roast pork with crackling and roast potatoes and broccoli au gratin and butternut so Im making that at the moment as he has been working hard building his Mum's landrover all day. I worked this morning but spent the afternoon with him weeding the front garden to keep him company and we ended up singing along to the chart show lol, so we are both knackered and starving now.

Hey I need to get that toad in the hole recipe off you and I will get him to write down the treacle sponge one for you...oohh hmm I think I know what we are having for dessert tonight lol! Yummy!
Old 26-07-09, 11:00 PM   #26
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Teese View Post
OMG, Im the same about mushrooms, if we get pizza and they are on there, I always swap them. I made my potato bake and rib-eye steak and courgettes and chips (proper fried ones) with garlic bread for supper last night and we had a choccy fondant with vanilla ice cream after.

Im going to try your beef one soon, just need to use up the stuff we have at the mo before the AR.

I found a really good recipe for a healthy curry, was going to make it tonight but Mr VT wanted roast pork with crackling and roast potatoes and broccoli au gratin and butternut so Im making that at the moment as he has been working hard building his Mum's landrover all day. I worked this morning but spent the afternoon with him weeding the front garden to keep him company and we ended up singing along to the chart show lol, so we are both knackered and starving now.

Hey I need to get that toad in the hole recipe off you and I will get him to write down the treacle sponge one for you...oohh hmm I think I know what we are having for dessert tonight lol! Yummy!
I put it on the toad in the hole thread...I'll go find it and PM to ya hun.
Roast pork is probably my fav roast. So much flavour and Pork is just the most underestimated meat IMO. Yes...it's the most popular and used meat in the world, btu that's because of bacon and sausages....I like the joints. Like a big pork shoulder, roasted for about 12-14 hours in a really low oven. I love the crackling too. There's so much you can do with pork, but if you get a shoulder and cook it too high and quick it'll be horrible and if you have a loin/fillet and cook it too long it'll be horrible. I think having bred and reared pigs for meat, I have a passion for good pork now!

All hail roast pork!

Tonight me and Stretch had one of our fav fast foods........pasta cooked and tossed into a pan of heated olive oil in which thinly sliced garlic has been cooked for 40-60 seconds, salt & pepper and finished with chopped fresh basil. Super simple but yum yum!
Old 26-07-09, 11:25 PM   #27
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntygiggles View Post
Easy....this is a fail safe recipe - ask Lily and Drew!

In a mixing bowl, put 4 ounces PLAIN flour (don't use SF), 4 whole large eggs, a pinch of salt and half a pint of milk (whole or semi). Whack it all in together and whisk the sh!t out of it...the lumps will disappear in no time, if you can, stick it in the fridge for 20 mins while you........

Put sausages in foil, wrap up and pop in the oven on a low temp (gas4/160c) for 20 minutes to part pre cook them.

Take sausages out of the oven, turn it up to Gas 7/220c and pour enough vegetable oil into your baking dish to just cover the bottom and place it into the oven.
Take the batter out of the fridge and give it a quick whisk, get the sausages ready and after 5 mins in the oven, the oil will be up to temp. Take the dish out, put the sausages in and pour the batter all over them and around them. Do this as quickly as you can and stick it straight back in the oven.

WARNING.....this is the best batter recipe for toad in hole or yorkshire puds and it will rise....A LOT, so make sure you put the dish in the centre or low oven and don't have any shelves above it. I've made this recipe countless times and the batter never fails to reach at least 6inches. Leave it in the oven at Gas 7/220c for about 20-30 mins or until the top and edges of the batter have gone a real deep brown.

If you want to make a nice onion gravy to go with it too......let me know!

There ya go hun. So far, Lily and Drew and Graciepants have made this. If you search "toad in the hole" on threads search, you'll see it and GP has put pics up. There are a few onion gravy recipes on there, but this is my fav and the one I use.

Two medium onions, sliced thinly. Put these in about 2tbsp vegetable oil in a deep, thick bottomed frying pan at least an hour and a half before you want to serve. Put the heat on pretty much as low as it will go and stir occasionally. Don't be tempted to turn up the heat or add sugar if you want to keep all the onion sweetness. Adding brown sugar is great to make them colour more quickly, but if you do it slowly, you only get the natural onion sweetness. Sugar isn't bad....just don't need it if you have time.

So.....after about an hour - 70 minutes, you'll have a small mass of super soft, deep brown caremelised onions, gorgeous as they are and this is great for an onion tart or as the base to French onion soup. For the gravy though, get a pint of chicken stock ready and stir in 1 heaped tbsp plain flour. work it into the onions so you have no lumps and allow it to cook for a minute, then adding stock a little at a time to prevent lumps and let the flour cook as you make the gravy. When all the stock is in, let it simmer for 10 minutes and add water if you want it thinner or raise the heat and reduce if you want it thinner. If you want, you can add a little fresh chopped sage a few minutes before serving as that really goes well with the pork sausages, but I prefer to let the onion hog the limelight as it were. I finish it by putting in a wee bit of butter and stir it through.

Timing wise, to serve at 7.30pm I do this:-

Onions on hob @ 5.00pm
Sausages in foil and into low oven & make batter @ 5.30
Sausages out and turn oven up @ 5.50
Oil in tin and in oven @ 5.55
Sausages and batter in hot oil and flour into onions @ 6.00pm

I'm babling........I'm tired and can't stop typing so I'm going now. Hope you enjoy however you make the onion gravy...there is no right or wrong way.....just the way you like!
Old 27-07-09, 07:01 AM   #28
Von Teese

Mmmmmmm yummy, thanks for that,Im going to make that tomorrow!
Tonight I'm going to do that curry, a proper curry evening, since I have a bit of time to do it, I love doing themed dinner parties...hehe!

Im on a rest day today so Ive got the whole day to myself, apart from riding the horses and cutting Mr VT's Dad's hair....and cooking of course.

By the way Mr VT's Mum and I are going to Costco on Thursday after I've finised work so if you want anything bought let me know and I will bring it to the AR for you.

Last edited by Von Teese; 27-07-09 at 07:03 AM.
Old 27-07-09, 11:12 AM   #29
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Thanks for the offer, but I'll be right ta. I tend to go and shop as I need....if I try and plan too much what to get, I end up getting carried away...lol.

What curry are you making? I LOVE making fresh curry!
Old 27-07-09, 08:36 PM   #30
anna
Mega Poster

I have also made your Toad in the hole. Didnt take photos as I was too busy stuffing my face!!! Nom Nom Nom

You were right though it does raise a LOT!
anna is offline   Reply With Quote