SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-01-08, 09:29 PM   #21
busasean

Default Re: Police policing the police demonstration

my brother and his wife are kent plod. they are looking at emigrating to Australia next year as both are so disilusioned with the uk. (brother is retraining as a plumber, his wife is retraining as a teacher) they both earn bloody good money, and both really dont give a toss about the money as they are leaving anyway.

what annoys me is that the pay rise would go to an independant body if a figure could not be agreed. this happened and yet the goverment still try to get out of paying. it is wrong.

However,....... i have no sympathy or support for the police. now they can be treated with the same contempt that the majority of the public are. as for the fact that they cant go on strike, tough! whats changed? when you join the job, you know you cant strike. if they dont like it, vote with their feet and leave.once they no longer have the protection of a warrant card and come into the real world of less job security, being fleeced by goverment (in all jobs), **** courts, and a very out of touch police force driven by figures and ppi's. then perhaps they might start listening to the public. (more the senior ranks)

Last edited by busasean; 23-01-08 at 09:34 PM.
Old 23-01-08, 09:35 PM   #22
northwind
Mega Poster

When they joined the job, they knew they couldn't strike but that there were safeguards in place to prevent that being exploited. That just changed...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-08, 09:42 PM   #23
busasean

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
When they joined the job, they knew they couldn't strike but that there were safeguards in place to prevent that being exploited. That just changed...
true...
Old 23-01-08, 09:53 PM   #24
gettin2dizzy

I started work at 7am today, didn't leave until after 9.
I don't get overtime, - it's a part of EVERY job nowadays.
Old 23-01-08, 09:57 PM   #25
busasean

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
I started work at 7am today, didn't leave until after 9am.
eh?
Old 23-01-08, 10:01 PM   #26
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
I started work at 7am today, didn't leave until after 9.
Was this sarcasm, or are you actually justifying the conditions you work in by telling yourself everyone else is the same?
Old 23-01-08, 10:09 PM   #27
ASM-Forever

39% pay rise over the past 10 years and as i understand it a pretty decent pension.

Not much to complain about IMO.
Old 23-01-08, 10:31 PM   #28
northwind
Mega Poster

Is that 39% above inflation, or 39% gross? If it's the latter, it's nothing much to shout about.
Old 23-01-08, 10:45 PM   #29
ThEGr33k

No offence but the police have it easy at the moment. If you want to look at what is WRONG look at the army, true they are mantal to join the army BUT im guessing 95% of them joined before iraq and afghanistan so if you want to know who got crewed by labour...

Oh and then there is pay, Police is on about 20-23K out of training? Army ?15.5K. They probably wont make over ?20K for 4-5 years, by which time they might have spent nearly 2 years in action, real action with VERY real risks of being shot/blown up/otherwise injured daily. No overtime either, so if you work 100+ hours in a week (which does happen!) then tough luck mate, doing it for the queen. Then there is the pension...

I respect that the police think they are getting done but lets just put it in perspective... Police have it cushy.

Im in the RAF which is a little better than the army but not by much. I have always respected the police as people even if I dont really respect some of the laws they have to hold up, but this is kinda taking the pi$$ imo.
Old 23-01-08, 10:48 PM   #30
grh1904

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM-Forever View Post
39% pay rise over the past 10 years and as i understand it a pretty decent pension.

Not much to complain about IMO.
The 39% figure is a little bit fudged, that actual figure as quoted by the BBC today is from an officer on joining 10 years ago to what that officer actually earns today. An officer joining today starts on £21,009 p.a., and then gets an annual increment on the anniversary of joining every year for 10 years. It takes 10 years of service (with achieveing a suitable annual report every year) to reach the top of the PC's pay scale.

Therefore an officer who joined 10 years ago is probably on about 40% more now than he was then, but look at it from the perspective of an officer who had 10 years service, 10 years ago, and now has 20 years service. Compare his/her rate of pay from then to now. I've just worked it out at 15 point something percent.

Yes we do get a good pension but we pay for it with 11% contributions. On my latest pay slip my pension deductions were £277.48 for one month, that equates to £3329.76 p.a. That means in 30 years (the max time that I can pay into my pension fund I will have paid in £99,892.80).