SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-06-08, 08:30 PM   #21
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Body Armour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
That just about sums up Dainese and AlpineStars gear tbh.
Is it really that bad? Seems overpriced but I would usually expect "you get what you pay for"

So far from what I've tried, halvarssons is excellent and belstaff does what it says on the tin
Old 26-06-08, 08:37 PM   #22
MavUK

HMMM Interesting reading that PDF...

Interesting though the Dianese back protector there has less protective material than the one I have even though it costs more (then mine is 6 years old)... It says foam padding only!!! Mines honeycomb! Is the wave a 'cheap' Dianese product, or have they gone backwards (seems odd).

Seems I have a lot more research to do... (like finding a dealer for the Held over here for one!)

What do you class as comfortable BTW? My back protectors a nightmare off the bike, walking is not nice. But on the bike I don't even know it;s there...

A very confused Stu...

Last edited by MavUK; 26-06-08 at 08:42 PM.
Old 26-06-08, 08:45 PM   #23
St0rmer66

I bought the Forcefield from intobikes.co.uk, but I don't know where you would go to try one on! They deliver worldwide though. I just guessed at a medium for me but if it doesn't fit I'll change it (problem is I'm tall but skinny). I guess sending it back would take quite a lot longer for you over there.

The Knox contour would be fine if I had bought the one without the coccyx protector on I think, but it can't be removed. It's terrible off the bike and only good on the bike if I stay upright (i.e. not leaning off the bike like I do). Hoping the Forcefield will be much better (review seems to say so).
Old 26-06-08, 09:50 PM   #24
northwind
Mega Poster

Forcefield is really the one to buy, it offers superior protection and it's comfortable and flexible. Cheap, too, for what it is. I can't see any real justification to buy anything else these days.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-08, 11:12 PM   #25
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Forcefield is really the one to buy, it offers superior protection and it's comfortable and flexible. Cheap, too, for what it is. I can't see any real justification to buy anything else these days.
+1 on that (actually +2 cos Vixis just got on as well)

Oh and I just got the armoured trousers and shirt to go with it - even better effect than the 8-pack my Icon jacket gives - its Super hero time

Now just to go build some leather and chainmail armour that will go over it for LARPing in...............

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-08, 07:43 AM   #26
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavUK View Post
Interesting though the Dianese back protector there has less protective material than the one I have even though it costs more (then mine is 6 years old)... It says foam padding only!!! Mines honeycomb! Is the wave a 'cheap' Dianese product, or have they gone backwards (seems odd).

A very confused Stu...
I have one the dianese wave 13's like below, its super comfortable and offer more protection than the knox or anything else I tried on which was most available, it was £100 but it fitted and felt the best so i spent it.

It has a cloth layer then half inch of meshed honeycomb effect then a felixble hard plastic layer......not just foam, not sure why they say that.

Try them all on and see how they feel, I wouldnt just accept anyone on here criticism of something they have probably never even tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavUK View Post
What do you class as comfortable BTW? My back protectors a nightmare off the bike, walking is not nice. But on the bike I don't even know it;s there...
Comfortable to the point you dont know its there even when its on, but when its not on you know its not.
Old 27-06-08, 08:17 AM   #27
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
Try them all on and see how they feel, I wouldnt just accept anyone on here criticism of something they have probably never even tried.
My mesh + armor shirt is really comfy, but that doesn't mean it's going to offer good impact protection. That's hard-shell armor backed with foam.

Anyway based on the test in the mag a while ago I'd say forcefield or halvarrsons track, same product, slightly different shape. Get one of those if you can, however there's no point buying an uncomfortable one as you won't wear it.
Old 27-06-08, 08:41 AM   #28
Lucas

I did have a dianese wave for 3 months, nice and cool on a hot day (the honeycomb effect letting air through)

but because of the had plastic, it feels stiff under leathers, quite restrictive, sometimes digging into my low back and sides of shoulder blades when I lean forward

The one massive drawback for me is that the dianese wave is it is only designed to take one impact! as the honeycomb deforms to absorb the energy it doesn't reform. Meaning the safety of the unit is compromised for further uses! This makes it a very expensive disposable back protector...

I sold it on e bay and got a forcefield L2 pro, don't notice it much once it heats up and molds to your body, very comfy and non restrictive. It does feel warmer when compared to the honey cone effect. O, its reusable too

Quote:

Last edited by Lucas; 27-06-08 at 08:45 AM.
Old 27-06-08, 08:41 AM   #29
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Anyway based on the test in the mag a while ago I'd say forcefield or halvarrsons track, same product, slightly different shape. Get one of those if you can, however there's no point buying an uncomfortable one as you won't wear it.

Dont believe everything you read in the papers they say......brands pay magazines to give them a better write up than others proven fact, the niave would only believe otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
but because of the had plastic, it feels stiff under leathers, quite restrictive, sometimes digging into my low back and sides of shoulder blades when I lean forward
Never noticed it, pure comfort for me, hence why people should try them all as people body shapes are different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
The one massive drawback for me is that the dianese wave is it is only designed to take one impact! as the honeycomb deforms to absorb the energy it doesn't reform. Meaning the safety of the unit is compromised for further uses!
Sorry :S, does that mean you buy a solid helmet that doesnt offer as good protection, just so that you can use it more than once after a big accident?

Last edited by G; 27-06-08 at 08:47 AM.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-08, 09:22 AM   #30
Lucas

Quote:
Never noticed it, pure comfort for me, hence why people should try them all as people body shapes are different.
+1

Quote:
Sorry :S, does that mean you buy a solid helmet that doesnt offer as good protection, just so that you can use it more than once after a big accident?
All helmets are designed to be disposable after one incident, while most back protectors are designed to be reusable and offers equal or better protection for around the same price

Last edited by Lucas; 27-06-08 at 09:26 AM.