SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 08-02-09, 10:50 PM   #21
hob

Default Re: Building your own website

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
I wasn't commenting on the choice of application. It was the label of "coder" that concerned me.
he he

Old 09-02-09, 05:21 AM   #22
urbane1

My website is hosted with Homestead by Intuit (who make Quickbooks). It comes with a website builder, free email addresses, and ftp file storage, and costs about $24.00/month.
The site builder is easy to use, and the ftp storage is really useful as an off-site server, or for file swapping with other consultants
Old 09-02-09, 08:07 AM   #23
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hob View Post
Indeedy, but there is nothing inherently wrong with dreamweaver.

Microsoft Front Page on the other hand
They must have improved it by a huge amount since I last looked at it.

Used to produce the most HIDEOUS bloated HTML there was.

I could do a page identical to one it farted out in that was half the size - which was important @ 56kbps.........

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 08:12 AM   #24
Samnooshka

I have used 2 galleries in the past, the one i am with now and by far the best non commission charging website www.ifp3.com you pay a yearly subscription. The other site i had before i switched over to the ifp3 one was made in flash but my old gallery still works but looks carp in comparison to my new one That was done in gallery1.

http://samnooshka.com/gallery/main.php - my old one
www.samnooshka.com - my new one.

Unfortunately i had a hard time finding a website that i can host my photos on without paying a commission for any photos sold.

Last edited by Samnooshka; 09-02-09 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-02-09, 08:51 AM   #25
Jabba

If you want to maintain your site yourself the use a CMS system that allows you to plug in a photogallery and other useful stuff.

Take a look my site (run for a social group/charity) - it's built with xoops and is open-source and free. The photo gallery is based on Coppermine.

You'll need webspace with php and a MySQL database.

PM me if you have questions.
Old 09-02-09, 09:06 AM   #26
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
Notepad - Oh dear..........
+1

What is wrong with vi?

OK, I use a couple of IDEs for coding on a PC
Eclipse/Oracle Jdeveloper and visualstudio. But after coding since well before buggy bill started in his garage, I can honestly say I have never used notepad. for PHP I use ultraedit. I got a licence key with a magazine about 8 years ago and still use it. it handles hex/ascii and can even cut/past columns

I have a reseller account with 5quidhost.co.uk, they offer some excellent services and can quickly establish accounts with unlimited MySql databases, coppermine and gallery for photo hosting, php, blogs cms including joomla, mambo, xoops etc.

Last edited by timwilky; 09-02-09 at 09:20 AM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 09:10 AM   #27
Dave20046
Mega Poster

I'm sure we're all helping out the OP loads
Old 19-04-09, 09:40 PM   #28
mikeSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsWRCsixtythree View Post
I am setting my self up as a sole trader as a photographer - I currently do it as a hobby.

I would like to keep costs as low as possible to start with but would like a website so I can display my images etc on and give the usual basic details about what i'm offering.

So my question to the org. is can anyone recommend something for me to build my website with i.e dreamweaver etc.

Thanks
Possibly wordpress with a gallery plugin. VERY versatile. - try to get a hosting package with fantastico deluxe included... it allows wordpress and other scripts (inc. some gallery scripts) to be installed quickly and with little fuss...

Also, wordpress is free software.

Always go for a hosted version of wordpress, rather than the free .wordpress.com sub-domain site you can have.

PM me if you need any advice.
Old 20-04-09, 01:01 PM   #29
Mike2165

I'm using publisher for my website, does the job, wasn't hard to create. Should be finished soon and uploaded
Old 20-04-09, 01:21 PM   #30
keith_d
Mega Poster

One of my mates helped me configure Coppermine (http://coppermine-gallery.net/) to display my photos from Brands Hatch. (http://www.photos.crets.org.uk/index.php?cat=6) It's based on PHP and CSS, so it's customisable. I'm hoping to get a tutorial on how to customise for myself sometime soon. You could easily put this behind your main page to serve up the galleries.

As a general thought, be sure to pick a provider who allows plenty of space and bandwidth without racking up extra charges. 1Gb sounds like a lot, but decent high-res photos use lots of space.

Just my thoughts,

Keith.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote