SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-12-10, 06:09 PM   #21
Cazza

Default Re: How do Asda do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Nearest Waitrose is about 50 miles away.
If I open my window and look down, I can see Waitrose. I call it "the larder".

I also have Tesco, Budgens and M&S food within 3 minutes' walk. However, we also have 2 butchers and 1 fishmonger within the same distance. Somehow they all stay in business, which I like.

London rocks.

Sorry to hear about your rubbish brekky Tim. Gives you another excuse to try again tomorrow though!
Old 28-12-10, 07:09 PM   #22
DSGMATT

Quote:
Thanks Matt, I had assumed it would have been somewhere in Cheshire or Alderly Edge way .

You have to agree though our local Asda is carp, priced and stocked for the Brookers who take their trolleys home with them. Pizza and curry counters yet no butchers, tasteless chickens at 2 for 6 quid etc.

I definitely get the feeling, they stock cheap and tasteless. Quality has been sacrificed on the alter of consumerism.

Yep - the meat is mostly horrid processed stuff - which smells funny from the packet and tastes just wrong. We started buying our meat from the farm shop on Sandy Lane - Delicious Free Range variety - Veg from Aldi and sometimes we go to Booths or M&S for a treat. Always welcome at mine for a free range bacon butty
DSGMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-10, 08:34 PM   #23
paiste

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersaw View Post
I tried to buy ham from Sainsburys recently and failed. Everything, including the deli counter, was either formed or reformed - and having done a spot of research, now refuse to buy either.
I always try to buy British too. I went to Asda recently to their "Deli" counter. Asked if any of their ham was british. Assistant on the counter shrugged her shoulder and looked at me like I'd asked her to explain the workings of the internal combustion engine

Fortunately we have a fantastic Butcher not too far away
Old 28-12-10, 08:54 PM   #24
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Tim,

Try Chadwick's Emporium in Standish.

They still slaughter and butcher the meat, make the sausages and cure the bacon on site. Local meat, local produce.

It's just down from McAvoy Guns, who I assume you know?

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-10, 07:15 AM   #25
timwilky
Mega Poster

I have eaten at Chadwicks, Pete. Was good food, but the place was freezing and flooded by a burst pipe.

Matt, so you rate the farm shop at Brindle then. I have been passed, but never been inclined to stop. I fly passed on my way to football. or desperate for the pub on the way home, might pop up there today
Old 29-12-10, 09:09 AM   #26
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
I am amazed, my local butcher is shut and I/wife felt like a full English to run the day right so off to Asda up the road.

Right just cooked/ate. How do Asda do it?

I am aware of "wafer thin ham", that meat subsitute of no content or substance pretending to be ham. But

Wafer thin bacon, translucent and so full of water, it is like tissue paper (with the same consistency) surely they should be done under the trades description acts for calling it "Bacon"?
If you wasnt tight you'd buy decent bacon.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-10, 11:04 AM   #27
timwilky
Mega Poster

Ian mate, having met me a few time now, surely you must realise the one thing I am not tight with is food. I like good food. I pay a lot of money for it and I enjoy eating it. I enjoy good restaurants, and am prepared to pay for quality. Value for money is not just price. but the right product at the right price.

I started this thread that because my butcher of choice was closed, I compromised for convenience and regretted it. My cousin was pork butcher and a few on the forum have sampled his wares. Particualrly if they have eaten pork pies in Skipton. The pigs walked in downstairs and were carried out upstairs, they used everything but the squeek. That is how I like my meat, to know where it has come from, who has fed it and on what. My Lamb always came locally delivered by the farmer who bred it etc. My veg I buy from off the moss at Leyland etc.

We can produce damm good food in Britain, why then do we import junk from Denmark and Holland, dodgy tasteless chicken out of Thailand etc.
Old 29-12-10, 01:50 PM   #28
Viney
Mega Poster

Reels Tim in.

Still life is too short for cheap n nasty bacon.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-10, 02:14 PM   #29
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Tim,

Do you go to the Hoghton Tower market?

Next one is the 19th January I think.

There's a few overly expensive tat stalls, but lots of local farmers have stalls selling their meat. Good bread and pie stall too!

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-10, 10:01 PM   #30
DSGMATT

Matt, so you rate the farm shop at Brindle then. I have been passed, but never been inclined to stop. I fly passed on my way to football. or desperate for the pub on the way home, might pop up there today

Yes - very much so - not just for the grub, they sell the formentioned meats and also good Veg too. Owner has around 32 acres total - we shoot regularly in season and he is very approachable for quad fun with a select few
DSGMATT is offline   Reply With Quote