SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Are you:
A public sector worker who supports the strike? 12 16.44%
A public sector worker who is against the strike? 6 8.22%
A private sector worker who supports the strike? 16 21.92%
A private sector worker who is against the strike? 31 42.47%
Someone who couldn't care less. 8 10.96%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29-11-11, 08:27 PM   #21
krhall

Default Re: Strike day tomorrow!

I need another option, I am a public sector worker who is losing a days money tomorrow, but not because I am striking because my kids school is closed and can't afford to get them looked after a child-minder!

The rest of the PS need to get real, everyone is suffering and we all need to make sacrifices - it isn't nice but do we want to be like Greece?
Old 29-11-11, 08:38 PM   #22
Stenno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy H View Post
As for why put up with it? Because there are numerous other companies in the same industry going bump because of the current situation, and it's a job. Don't fancy applying for any more jobs with 50 applicants for each position.
I agree that there isn't always room for pay increases etc. But Union's are well armed with the facts of how a business is doing and with information from within the same sector.
Union's have to be sensible and build strong relations with the business involved.

As for the public services, it's one thing having pay freezes (reductions based on inflation) but to start toying with pensions is outrageous. If that doesn't get someones back up enough to strike then I don't know what will.
Old 29-11-11, 08:42 PM   #23
thefallenangel

I agree with the strikes. Until the ministers put the cuts on the fat cats in london with millions the rest of us won't follow suit.

If a company director of every bank takes a pay cut of £1million a year thats got to be another 200-300 nurses in work
Old 29-11-11, 08:45 PM   #24
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenno View Post
...rather than let them be taught by the scabs not striking.
Is that kind of insult really necessary? People have a right to strike just as they have a right to go to work. I cant afford to skip my days pay, doesnt mean I dont sympathise with the protest.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-11, 08:50 PM   #25
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
As for the public services, it's one thing having pay freezes (reductions based on inflation) but to start toying with pensions is outrageous. If that doesn't get someones back up enough to strike then I don't know what will.
Which is where the Private Sector went wrong by allowing their pension pots to be raided, so they not worth what they should be

Or was it the Government who allowed it to happen.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-11, 08:51 PM   #26
Stenno

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymo View Post
Is that kind of insult really necessary? People have a right to strike just as they have a right to go to work. I cant afford to skip my days pay, doesnt mean I dont sympathise with the protest.
I mainly mean those who join a Union as some kind of insurance policy but won't support the strikes. Or those that aren't Union members but will quite happily take the pay rises and working rights each year that the Unions fight to achieve for their members, whilst slating the Unions.
Old 29-11-11, 08:55 PM   #27
Stenno

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymo View Post
However if you can't afford to lose a day's pay, good luck paying increased pension contributions.

Short term pain, long term gain.
Old 29-11-11, 09:00 PM   #28
metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Which is where the Private Sector went wrong by allowing their pension pots to be raided, so they not worth what they should be

Or was it the Government who allowed it to happen.
It was Brown who raided the pensions, sold the gold and said were doing fine. What does he care he is loaded it won't affect him.
Old 29-11-11, 09:08 PM   #29
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:
However if you can't afford to lose a day's pay, good luck paying increased pension contributions.

And I respect that this is a persons individual choice, it should not be forced on anybody. It is my decision if I want to attend work during a strike, I am not a union member for the very reason that I do not wish to strike.
Old 29-11-11, 09:10 PM   #30
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:

Those of us not in the public sector already have increased pension contributions.