SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-08-13, 09:58 AM   #21
Dipper

Default Re: The Law and Cycling

Dave you've spent too much time in law school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabteacake View Post
Bit random but why don't cyclists have to take a theory test. I saw something on here I think about someone calling for better training for drivers to help prevent accidents involving bikes.

As opposed to any pillock buying a bike from Halfords then cycling home whilst weaving all over the road and not understanding any road markings
I agree with this partially, there are big misunderstandings on both sides for which training and education would help. In my opinion part of the test for motor vehicles should include content on understanding the limitation of other vehicles and how to behave around them be it lorries, motorbikes, milk floats, etc. for cycling maybe compulsory training while at school would be a good idea.

Despite this I would still go back to my original point of proportion, there are plenty of motorists who have done their theory and driving test who still drive badly and do many of the things cyclists are accused of on a regular basis, the difference is a cyclist doing these things generally only put themselves at risk and mostly will be no more than a nuisance, however someone in charge of a ton and a half of metal.......

Going back to the OP perhaps applying all the rules of the road to cyclists could be considered as trying to apply gun laws to peashooters?

Most of Europe has this proportional view when it comes to civil claims, the driver of the larger vehicle has a duty of care to those more vulnerable road users, it is something that is being proposed in the UK too I believe.
Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13, 11:15 AM   #22
MarkB852

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon70 View Post
rules of the road are rules of the road, no matter what you are riding - that said...

there is the highway code which states how to behave on the road, ie stop at zebra crossing, speed limit etc...

fines can be dished out for things like:
using a mobile phone while riding a pedal bike
drunk on your bike (riding dangerously)
running a red light
riding on the pavement
riding on the wrong side of the road
riding the wrong way around an island

getting told off for things like:
going past the traffic light so you can get off first at the lights (that's in front the the white line)

now breaking these CAN get you fined & points (on your licence if you have one) if bad enough - that said you could get banned from driving/riding a motorcycle but you would still be allowed to ride a bike... go figure!

well look what I found here....

and this...

cyclist fines...
Strangely enough there are laws about loud piped and small number plates but I don't see much about that on this forum...

Mark
Old 13-08-13, 04:04 PM   #23
ClunkintheUK

Interesting reading. I knew about the drink cycling one. May have made use of that myself on occasion, a bit merry but I could still cycle in a straight line.

The speed limit one is useful to know. Richmond park has a 20mph limit, but its pretty easy to break it most of the way round. I have gone for an overtake a few times only to have the car swerve at me, knuckles dragging out the window, shouting "The speed limit's 20".

I did think you could get points on your drivers license for RTA on a bike.

Also I don't think cyclist training would go very far. Without licensing it difficult to make it mandatory and there is currently loads of info and training out there.

Part of the problem though is that it can be very difficult to learn from your mistakes. Mistake in car = dent to the wallet most likely. Mistake on pushbike = likely never to cycle again, either can;t or give it up as too dangerous. This is born out if you talk to cycle commuters in London. Those that cycle within the rules of the road etc. tend to have had an off but I have heard many times from cyclist who jump lights "What harm does it do" or similar, so clearly have never had to pick bits of road out of their hands.