SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-06-21, 09:02 AM   #21
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Boots with laces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
Call me an old fart but it was always one of those things you never did, ride in laced boots. I wonder if people still leave their bike in gear on the sidestand!
Agree with the first sentence. re #2 ...aren't you supposed to? I generally do, definitely if it's on an incline/decline
Old 24-06-21, 02:09 PM   #22
gadget

It's not just laces that can be a problem, I managed to drop my gsxr when the side stand lever caught in the velcro part that covers the zip, just as I put the side stand up and went to raise my foot to rest on the peg the lever part of the stand somehow got caught in my boot and after a second or two of panic ... over it went, breaking a mirror and scuffing up a bar end. No real damage but an audience of about 30 people at a bike meet didn't help with the total embarrassment. It wasn't the first time the boot had caught in the side stand but it was the first time it made me drop my bike. Needless to say ... the boots were sold pretty much immediately, never had boots that were so much of a hazard tbh. I now put my boots inside my leathers/ trousers ... a'la Rossi!
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-21, 01:22 AM   #23
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
It's not just laces that can be a problem, I managed to drop my gsxr when the side stand lever caught in the velcro part that covers the zip, just as I put the side stand up and went to raise my foot to rest on the peg the lever part of the stand somehow got caught in my boot and after a second or two of panic ... over it went, breaking a mirror and scuffing up a bar end. No real damage but an audience of about 30 people at a bike meet didn't help with the total embarrassment. It wasn't the first time the boot had caught in the side stand but it was the first time it made me drop my bike. Needless to say ... the boots were sold pretty much immediately, never had boots that were so much of a hazard tbh. I now put my boots inside my leathers/ trousers ... a'la Rossi!
I had a Triumph Bonneville T100 and the footpegs were in such a position that they caught your legs/trousers/boots when taking your feet off the pegs !
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-21, 07:05 PM   #24
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
I had a Triumph Bonneville T100 and the footpegs were in such a position that they caught your legs/trousers/boots when taking your feet off the pegs !
Only reason for having the zips/velcro on the 'inside' of the boots .. imo is in case of an off, they're less likely to come/tare open if they are largely protected by being on the inside of your calf! That doesn't help with the velcro flap being snagged by the propstand or pegs when on the imside but if using lace up boots ... which I have done in the past, I always tuck the laces in after tieing as many knots as I can to shorten them first. Probably overkill but it's what I do for peace of mind.

Last edited by gadget; 25-06-21 at 07:07 PM.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-21, 09:28 PM   #25
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
Only reason for having the zips/velcro on the 'inside' of the boots .. imo is in case of an off, they're less likely to come/tare open if they are largely protected by being on the inside of your calf! That doesn't help with the velcro flap being snagged by the propstand or pegs when on the imside but if using lace up boots ... which I have done in the past, I always tuck the laces in after tieing as many knots as I can to shorten them first. Probably overkill but it's what I do for peace of mind.
Not overkill at all. I now tie multiple knots so there is hardly any loop exposed, but it is a pain untying the laces !
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-21, 09:50 PM   #26
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Agree with the first sentence. re #2 ...aren't you supposed to? I generally do, definitely if it's on an incline/decline
It has always been de rigeur in my book to leave it parked in gear
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote