SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

2007 Annual Rideout Discussions & info on the 2007 SV650.org's bigger & better annual rideout.

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-07, 10:49 PM   #21
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

we did that on the north meets south-

it worked well.
Old 12-02-07, 12:49 PM   #22
PBx

I love the passes, but I think that they might not be quite the right thing for an AR route. The other point is that they are at the opposite side of the lakes. They might however be great for a run on the Sunday?

If people do want the lakes then how about focussing more on the East? How about blasting up to Bowness (there is a pretty large bike park and overspill should be do-able) then A592 south -> Newby Bridge-> Penny Bridge -> Torver -> Coniston -> Ambleside ->up the struggle to Kirkstone-> Patterdale -> Pooley Bridge then back down the A6?

If not the lakes then a nice shorty is up to Sedburgh (or Hawes) then Kirby Stephen ->b6259-> Appleby->Orton->Shap->A6->Kendal->Kirby Lonsdale for the Bridge.

On second thoughts Appleby in June is a bad plan because of the fair!

Anyway my 2p

Last edited by PBx; 21-02-07 at 07:06 PM.

Old 12-02-07, 01:38 PM   #23
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarko5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
So there's only a ride-out on the saturday?
What about Sunday? Nobody going to hang around for another quick blast?
Or Monday for that matter...
So of us will have a 300+ miles ride home, so i doubt it.

As for Amarkos route... all well and good, but you havent been on a AR! 180 miles is too long.

It needs to be simple, as in not a huge amount of turns/Junctions or too many very narrow roads. Its difficult getting 20 bikes to stay togehter let alone 60+ bikes. always that to take into mind.

Yes there might be hundereds of amazing roads, but we only ned a few, sort of strung togehter, and NO Motorway
Ohh but i have mr Viney

if you wants a shorter route then a shorter route you shall have, one thing though your gonna be travelling 300 miles to see exceptionally little of the lakes if the route is to be 120 miles.

pity the other site at sykeside or the one near penrith wern't suitable as the campsite your at eats up 50 or so miles (there and back) before you hit the lakes
I know you have, i was pulling ya leg. Anyway, id dont want to see the lakes, i voted for a south Wales ride
Old 30-03-07, 08:21 AM   #24
Baph

Default Re: ride-out route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiff Wichard View Post
its a bit akin to takin a novice skier down a black run isnt it..

we do have to accomodate to the more newer riders.. and maybe build in a 20 mile "loop" like rictus said - for the good riders- fast riders etc.. to go off and play while the scenic riders like me have another brew.

and chocolate cake.!
Quiff, you've just seen from last weekend that I can be quick. But in all honesty, on the AR, I think I'll be joining you for a brew & a bite. Can't be bothered with all that racing around lark on roads I don't know.

Of course, if I'm in the mood for a blast on the day, you can forget what I just said

I reckon the loop idea is a definite good one, gives folks the choice.

Old 03-04-07, 03:26 PM   #25
glade

Any chance of someone showing the rideout route on google earth like in this month's bike mag???
Old 15-04-07, 02:20 AM   #26
northwind
Mega Poster

I'll be around for a few days on one end or the other if all goes according to plan... I take Viney's point but to me, the fact that it's a few hundred miles to get there is all the more reason to make the most of it once I'm there. So I figure on doing them passes...

But everyone's exactly right, the AR ride has to be reasonably short, reasonably straightforward, and contain no roads'o'doom. I took a mixed bag group of riders out a while back along a route that we use up here quite often that has 2 real bas-assed roads and frankly it was not smart. Both of the 2 challenging roads were optional extras but everybody ended up doing them, and tbh there were a few people well out of their depth. It was, to be quite honest, luck that got us through the day with no accidents, because nobody wanted to admit they were biting off more than they could chew, either to themselves or to anyone else. That's no good... And the last thing we want on the day is a crash, however minor.

(incidentally, Jenni, if you're reading this and thinking "Is he talking about me", then no I'm not)

Also, we can't put people off the ride. The day before or the day after there'll be plenty of time for pass bagging, at whatever speed you choose. Half the point of the AR- maybe more than half- is the social gathering, it just so happens to be based around a rideout.

All IMO of course.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
Old 29-05-07, 07:46 PM   #27
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

we do have to accomodate to the more newer riders.. and maybe build in a 20 mile "loop" like rictus said - for the good riders- fast riders etc.. to go off and play while the scenic riders like me have another brew.

and chocolate cake.!
Old 31-05-07, 02:29 PM   #28
Gordon B

Quote:

and chocolate cake.!
Gotta say, this loop idea works for me. Like the idea that you can just drop in and drop out at any time through the day. And always up for brew and cake....

Also means you can ride with different people throughout the day as well, so if you fancy a blat you can have one, but if you want to 'ooh' and 'ahhh'
at the countryside thats also possible.

G

Old 31-05-07, 02:38 PM   #29
Baph

+1 for the loop idea. Not sure where my previous post about it has dissapeared to. Maybe it's pulled over for a bit to stuff its face with cake.

Old 31-05-07, 02:48 PM   #30
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:

and chocolate cake.!
I think that will detract from the spirit of the annual rideout 100%, a bad idea. IMHO of course.

Has a route actually been draughted yet?
Closed Thread