SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-06-13, 08:25 PM   #3011
Roberrrrt

Default The Cycling Thread

Also, do you clutter the bike with under-seat bag containing spare tubes etc and pump fixed to frame, or risk it and hope that if disaster strikes on Sunday morning that the on-site mechanics will respond quickly?

Being a tart I'm tempted to leave bike as bare as possible and photogenic / rule compliant as I can achieve. But I'd hate to have a DNF if anything goes tits up!
Old 28-06-13, 08:27 PM   #3012
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Cycling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipper View Post
I'll keep a lookout for you results on Strava.

I'm going to pop over to a local TT route in the morning and see what I can do over the 10 mile course, if I'm quick enough I may have a go in the week, I've never done anything like that before... so we shall see. Hall of shame will be up on Strava in the afternoon!
Do it, mid week 10's are great fun (sort of ) and a great way to start off.

Trouble is a lot of the local mid week 10's are full up of Wiggo wannabees, full TT bikes, discs wheels, aero helmets etc etc. But these guys don't enter open events where the results really count.

Don't be put off by these guys, its your own race
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-13, 08:27 PM   #3013
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberrrrt View Post
Gatorskin logo not in line with valve stem? Breaking the rules young man

( I'm glad its not just me that notices these things )

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-13, 08:28 PM   #3014
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
LOL
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-13, 09:50 PM   #3015
Owenski

Default Re: Re: The Cycling Thread

Quote:
Having had a few flats I've come through the conclusion it doesn't matter one jot where the valve is in relation to the tyre. Once the tubes out the bike you still need to search the bugger out.
That and I don't follow trends, trends follow me

FYI I'll have my mini pump, tube and tools on the bike, tools you can borrow but tube u ain't if you're nice to me I might try put in a second tube (provided you have one Lol).
I'm not worried about the extra weight/look nor the rules
Old 29-06-13, 08:03 AM   #3016
Roberrrrt

You my man are an out and out rebel
Old 29-06-13, 10:50 AM   #3017
Jackie_Black

Genesis Day One Review

Day One:
As some of you lot know I picked up my day one yesterday and this was my first chance to take it out for a spin. I was up early and fairly excited as new bikes are still great even at 35! I decided to do a few of my local roads and a few of my local off roads too, just so i could see what all this cross mallarkey is about. I intend to use the bike to ride 5 miles each way to work in my suit. It's mostly flat but has on and off road bits. I've chosen this as opposed to a road commute because cage drivers are lethal and i like taking the scenic route. I won't be a sweaty mess at work as i'm going to take it easy so it should be similar to walking levels or exertion.

Anyway I went out on some roads and the first thing you notice is the response from the bike, it feels ready to switch directions quickly and even though it's heavy it doesn't ride particularly heavy. The steel frame and forks seem to absorb everything when compared to my allez and it is a very nice place to be. After a few miles I stopped to adjust the seat and take a good look at the bike. It's at this point you notice a few things that may become problematic. Both wheels are bolted on and the complexity at the rear end is going to make punctures interesting!

I got back on and the newly adjusted seat made the ride all the more comfy. I then got to my first incline (its not really a hill). I thought i was in first spinning up it but in fact had 2 more gears to go, so I think this bike may be suitable for general touring use as first gear is quite low. In fact the range of gears feels like the little cog on the front of my allez but with a wider range at the back. I carried on the roads for a bit round the coast and then onto a bumpy tarmac path, the bike doesn't seem to like these and it was a rough ride which didn't make me confident for when i hit the trails later on in the ride.

For my pedal back inland i started along some of the wagon ways in the area and i was amazed at how well the bike went. Much better than the bumpy tarmac path. Off road it really rides like a 90's steel mtb and is a lot of fun. I even followed a guy along a track on a full carbon orbea MTB and he just looked at me like i was mental. So this part of the bike very good, which is lucky as most of my cycle to work is trails and paths.

Final thoughts after my 20 mile spin. First of all the hub gear. It was clicking and slipping a bit. I adjusted it as per the instructions (lined up the yellow lines) and then it was perfect, imagine if deraileurs were that easy. The shifts are seamless and you can change under power, and when stationary. Excellent. The disk brakes are very nice, plenty of power and its only a matter of time till these are on all road bikes, amazing stoppers. Finally the seat, its hard and not for me so will be replaced with another one from my extensive collection.

I need some mudguards and does anyone know of any puncture resistant 35mm cross tyres? dont was schwalbe marathons really as they weight a ton and are more road biased.
Old 29-06-13, 01:04 PM   #3018
Roberrrrt

Steel beads on new tyres are the devils work
Old 29-06-13, 01:41 PM   #3019
Roberrrrt

Hopefully link will work...

http://m1281.photobucket.com/albumvi...l?o=0&newest=1

Gatorskins fitted, cleaned and lubed, ready for tomorrow!
Old 29-06-13, 02:13 PM   #3020
Dipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Do it, mid week 10's are great fun (sort of ) and a great way to start off.

Trouble is a lot of the local mid week 10's are full up of Wiggo wannabees, full TT bikes, discs wheels, aero helmets etc etc. But these guys don't enter open events where the results really count.

Don't be put off by these guys, its your own race
Essex Roads TT Route, so Mav how do you reckon these guy's will react when I turn up as a guest on a Tifosi with mudguards, rack and Brooks saddle?
Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote