SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-02-16, 04:18 PM   #3031
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
This.

The dog is unwell so nobody at Trev Towers is getting any sleep as we're having to keep checking she's ok.
Poorly dog here as well, he had us up 4 times during the night as he needed to go out
Old 03-02-16, 04:34 PM   #3032
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
Avanced Stop Lines. Push iron boxes.
Motors can't can't move into the box.
But if you you sat in the Que and the lights change your not allowed to go past the second line.
Tapping on my window, spamming off "car's ain't allowed 'ear". Just shows that lycra lout cyclists don't know what they're doing.
ASLs are generally really badly designed things too. Most of them have two solid white lanes and no dashed entrance section so technically according to highway code even cyclists shouldn't move forward into them either, even though that's what they're there for. Also in addition they usually have a left hand side of road feeder lane into them encouraging cyclists to go down left hand side of queuing traffic to get to them, including down the left or HGVs or other big blind spot vehicles. Which is a big no no as they can easily turn left across you when lights go green.

They're often one of many examples of bad infrastructure (inc. things like cycle lanes located right up against parked cars to encourage cyclists to ride in the "dooring zone") that cycle instructors have to help people unlearn to use and relearn how to use with a dose of common sense and questioning.

I trained as a cycle instructor and half the things you're taught to teach is to do with helping people identify when they shouldn't use cycle infrastructure. It's a bloody minefield and one that's not easy to help school age kids (learning "Bikeability") understand.

In answer to the original gripe though, yes any vehicle is permitted to be in the ASL if passing through diuring green and it turns to amber / red. In fact better to stop in it on amber than to cross the second line as red appears and chance pulling across on red.

I personally have no problem with motorbikes filtering to the front and entering them on red either. Of course I'm biased as I ride both. Any increased presence and visibility for anyone on two wheels is a good thing.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-16, 04:39 PM   #3033
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.me...-of-the-month/

Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-16, 05:01 PM   #3034
AJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
I think I have seen that in the flesh and I think it is in Kilmarnock, Scotland - where most of my family is from.

Also agree with your points about poorly designed cycle infrastructure. It generally causes more motorist/cyclist conflict than it even solves. I often don't use a section in Glasgow as it is in the 'door zone' and because I am not in it motorists feel it's fair game to 'punishment pass' me all along there. Spose that's my gripe for the day!
Old 03-02-16, 05:30 PM   #3035
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Arrogant Big heads.

Go jump in the feckin sea!!

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 03-02-16 at 05:33 PM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-16, 08:42 PM   #3036
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev B View Post
Sorry NTECUK,I must fall into that group cos I don't know what they are,never mind understanding them,should I..?
Well if you have any were you go Yes.
Hears the rules. And yes you can get points
http://content.met.police.uk/Article.../1400018009433
Old 03-02-16, 10:11 PM   #3037
Red ones
Mega Poster

Bikers on big bikes who leave their feet sticking out and about 10mm off the road when they filter through traffic.

Are they afraid they might wobble? Do they want to whack their feet on the cars their passing? Haven't they learnt to pick their feet up yet?

If your on a BMW 1100 at least pick your bl**dy feet up, otherwise get back on that scooter you had last week.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-16, 10:31 PM   #3038
Trev B

Read,digested and fully understood mate.simple really but like anything else it will have anomalies that surface for many reasons,ignorance(as in my case),general bad driving,and everything in between.But,as a non cyclist and without upsetting anybody,the actions of many cycle riders needs to go under the microscope,we bikers are vulnerable but the Lycra gang even more so.no offence as I used to cycle myself !!!
Old 04-02-16, 08:53 PM   #3039
Bri w

Someone, foolishly, moved to Aberdeen. Does it ever get above freezing this far north? And what day is summer booked for this year?

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-16, 09:12 PM   #3040
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri w View Post
Someone, foolishly, moved to Aberdeen. Does it ever get above freezing this far north? And what day is summer booked for this year?
I made the same mistake. I want out

Summer was October last year so who knows this year. Don't book anything
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote