SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-03-10, 11:48 AM   #3111
Purplevamp

Default Re: The running thread!

I have invested in a knee strap to help with the sore knee. I am an overpronator and i think its because of this problem that i have a sore left knee.
I have done some reading on it and it looks like thats why its sore
I will give it a try and see how it goes.
I rested it all day yesterday and its gym night tonight with no impact excersises so i think i should be ok. I am going to wear a knee support anyways just to help support it a bit.
Old 01-03-10, 12:35 PM   #3112
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplevamp View Post
I have invested in a knee strap
I went through a serious 4 week period last year during marathon training that gave me exactly the same problem. I got it sorted, trained properly, adjusted my stretch routine etc.

In hind sight I would say that 99% of the problem was down to doing too much too soon so take care how fast you allow your running enthusiasm to carry you.

If you havent already, get your gait analysed at a decent running shop with the right kind of video equipment and knowledge. I ended up replacing my running shoes as a result.

The knee straps help but dont get to rely on it, it may mask a problem that still needs sorting out. Above all, rest it.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-10, 01:03 PM   #3113
Purplevamp

Righto, Thanks for that. I did have my running gait analysed and got better running shoes, but this was before i did any road running. Si i didnt really know how my legs/knees were going to respond to it, and where i would feel any niggles.
Now i know a little bit more it would be worth going back again and then i would be able to explain where im haveing problems.
I have to admit i probably have done too much too soon. Im so eagre , thats my trouble lol.
Old 01-03-10, 02:19 PM   #3114
sarah

Six beautiful sunny miles this lunchtime
Old 01-03-10, 09:04 PM   #3115
Tim in Belgium

2 1/2 hour LSR tonight, absoulutely starving now, i have eaten loads of nut filled pasta with chilli sauce and about half a packet of frozen peas. I'm now baking a banana with a snickers in the middle, I hope it replicates that BBQ effect!! Then it'll be bed, I'm an hour ahead here in Clogland.

What do you lot eat & drink for your post run cravings?
Old 01-03-10, 10:24 PM   #3116
Amanda

Just thought I would let you know how I'm getting on. I know in comparison to you guys preparing for marathons and stuff I'm small fry but it also might give hope to others who want to start out......

Day 8 today of beginnner training. Been using that www.halhigdon.com/beginrunner/plan.htm and today was the first time we did bang on 30/30 exactly text book. Walk to start, walk to finish and run/walk in between. Each day seems to be getting easier and not so puffed out and red faced by the end of it. Got another 22 days to go then on to the 5k training for the Race For Life in June.

I have done the RFL before but walked it with friends, this time I plan to run it all and after today it actually doesn't scare me anymore.

So, anyone looking to start running I would recommend that site as was recommended to me. I think its spot on. x
Old 02-03-10, 01:44 PM   #3117
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
Just thought I would let you know how I'm getting on. I know in comparison to you guys preparing for marathons and stuff I'm small fry but it also might give hope to others who want to start out......

Day 8 today of beginnner training. Been using that www.halhigdon.com/beginrunner/plan.htm and today was the first time we did bang on 30/30 exactly text book. Walk to start, walk to finish and run/walk in between. Each day seems to be getting easier and not so puffed out and red faced by the end of it. Got another 22 days to go then on to the 5k training for the Race For Life in June.

I have done the RFL before but walked it with friends, this time I plan to run it all and after today it actually doesn't scare me anymore.

So, anyone looking to start running I would recommend that site as was recommended to me. I think its spot on. x
Nice one

I'm using the beginners marathon Hal Higdon plan for my London marathon training and it's really good.

Just been for a sunny six miler and a paddle in the sea
Old 04-03-10, 07:33 PM   #3118
Tim in Belgium

Going to do a 30k race on Sunday as my LSR, got a guy to pace me so it will be interesting, I need to make sure I don't try and race/go faster than I should (which is quite slow!).

I'm trying to pick up my natural cadence on my shorter runs, it's easy to slip back into my LSR pace on runs over 50 mins if I don't concentrate. It seems to be paying off and becoming more natural to run at a faster pace with very little extra effort.
Old 04-03-10, 07:40 PM   #3119
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post

I'm trying to pick up my natural cadence on my shorter runs, it's easy to slip back into my LSR pace on runs over 50 mins if I don't concentrate. It seems to be paying off and becoming more natural to run at a faster pace with very little extra effort.
I need to do that. How do you do it?

Two sixers and and eighter so far this week, all at lunchtime so I got to enjoy the sun by the seaside

Got a 16er planned for Saturday. I think the main challenge may be to not get lost!
Old 04-03-10, 07:57 PM   #3120
Tim in Belgium

Last edited by Tim in Belgium; 04-03-10 at 08:00 PM.