SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

Old 30-03-09, 05:25 PM   #3341
philbut

Default Re: The TV Mini Mehga thread.

Ah ok. if you disconnct the live wire(s) from the battery and then bridge the gap with a multimeter set to read current. With the bike and all electrics off it should be a tiny reading, something like 0.1A or lower - probably less as you don't have an alarm. Much more and you have a drain somewhere. You can then try disconnecting components individually and read again to see what difference it has made.
Old 30-03-09, 05:46 PM   #3342
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbut View Post
Ah ok. if you disconnct the live wire(s) from the battery and then bridge the gap with a multimeter set to read current. With the bike and all electrics off it should be a tiny reading, something like 0.1A or lower - probably less as you don't have an alarm. Much more and you have a drain somewhere. You can then try disconnecting components individually and read again to see what difference it has made.
Seeing as I had total electrical failure I just went out to check the main fuse. It was ok. I then put the volt meter across the starter solenoid. It read 13.1 Volts. Turn the ignition on and the reading dropped to zero. This has indicated to me three things. Firstly the main fuse was not blown. Secondly, the battery is not being drained at all. Thirdly, I am still no wiser as to the nature of the fault apart from in it was me that put it there.
Old 31-03-09, 11:10 AM   #3343
Sosha

Well I'm with you on point1.....
Would still check what current it's pulling before going further.
Old 31-03-09, 11:18 AM   #3344
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbut View Post
I will have a go at this tonight. I will start be just disconnecting the battery to see if I have a drain. But considering I have no electrics what so ever but still got a reading of 13.1 Volts, I would have thought that was indication enough that nothing has drained the battery. But then like I said, I am a numpty with electrics.

Anyway,

How's the new bike Sophie?
Old 31-03-09, 11:32 AM   #3345
Warthog

She picked it up now then?
Old 31-03-09, 11:43 AM   #3346
Stig

That's the rumour.
Old 31-03-09, 11:49 AM   #3347
Sosha

Froze to it on the way back from colchester.
Old 31-03-09, 12:04 PM   #3348
philbut

eh, Colchester. i went there once, got lost on the way to a breakers and then the barstuard didn't have the part after all - I have not returned since!
Old 31-03-09, 02:47 PM   #3349
Warthog

I am bored. Got my bike fixed up though, and I am riding down to see Dan on Friday so woo! Turns out my brake lever was bent too, so I can't reach it ias well which was also subconciously annoying me. I have bent and tightened and straightened everything back out now and it feels a bit better.
Old 31-03-09, 02:48 PM   #3350
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
I am bored. Got my bike fixed up though, and I am riding down to see Dan on Friday so woo!
Watch out he doesn't land one on yer chin.