SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-06-15, 09:32 PM   #331
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Default Re: Top Gear is back

He's enthusiastic about classic cars so that's a good thing.
Like his bbcR2 show so good luck to him.
Old 16-06-15, 09:45 PM   #332
otaylor38

I like him. I enjoy his morning show on radio 2

Cant understand why some people dont seem to like him tbh
Old 16-06-15, 09:47 PM   #333
L3nny
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Top Gear stopped being about cars a long time ago. Most people who watch it probably don't know any more about cars than where their ignition key goes in.

It's an entertainment show nowadays, not a motoring programme but the format needed revamping so it'll be interesting to see how they do it.
Fair point, I suppose getting someone in who already has broad mainstream appeal and isn't likely to punch someone is the safe move. I suppose I was being unrealistic hoping they'd make it more about cars.

It will be interesting to see how they do it.

I can always geek out to Chris Harris on cars, Harry's Garage and Jay Leno on Youtube in the mean time
Old 16-06-15, 10:33 PM   #334
DJFridge

I wish Chris Evans all the luck in the world with this. I don't know if he's the best person or not, but I certainly never came up with anyone better. The most annoying thing is that House Of Cars (or whatever they call it) is going to end up on Netflix where I can't watch it. I'd happily watch both Top Gear and Clarkson, Hammond & May doing their thing given the chance. Even when it was rubbish, it was an order of magnitude better than X Factor and the like.
Old 17-06-15, 07:29 AM   #335
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I got increasingly fed up with Top Gear being about stunts and egos rather than cars. But for me TV ended when good old Delia stepped out of the kitchen and started making shows showing us her football team and famous friends in a Jamie Oliver/Nigella 'look at my great life' style. I can't stand all that. Just show me how to cook or tell me about the car, I'm not interested in how great you think you are.

I guess I'm just a grumpy old woman who listens to In Our Time on Radio 4.
Old 17-06-15, 09:34 AM   #336
NTECUK
Mega Poster

I though the specials were fun.
It's not exactly car reviews But entertainment and lately that is how top gear went.
But yes lots of shows (Bear Gyrill s the island, shead and buried). Are entering if a little contrived too.
Old 17-06-15, 10:02 AM   #337
ClunkintheUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
He's been re tweeted saying he would never do it, how people can be persuaded eh?
I never believe anything until its been officially denied.
Old 17-06-15, 10:13 AM   #338
ClunkintheUK

I quite liked a lot of the top gear stunts as a way of testing cars. Like the fiesta landing craft, did actually show that you can fit four big blokes in it, and that it would work in thr countryside where you get a bit of flooding sometimes. The off road caravan test, did actually show that the cars have enough oomph to pull a trailer pretty well, and enough weight to balance it, also useful if you are going to tow a biek trailer. Yes in terms of information a long term driving test is a little better, but for using the cars for a few days and pushing it a little more to find out its weak points faster, they are actually a pretty good idea I think.

The tests of "A porsche for under two grand" or "rear wheel drive for a grand" or "car to take you to manchester and back for under a hundred quid" are, I think, more relevant to a lot of people's driving than a normal driving test of a renault modus. A lot of people buy thier cars second hand, with a budget and something like "I want a convertible". Again they are trying to push them harder to break them in a shorter period, to give an idea of how robust they would be in the longer run.
Old 28-06-15, 05:59 PM   #339
Ch00

TOP GEAR TONIGHT 8pm till 9.15pm

Last one with the current/former/past/old team (Depending if your watching on Dave!!)
Old 28-06-15, 06:00 PM   #340
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default Top Gear is back

Saw the ad and thought it was repeats! Is it on 2?