SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-04-09, 01:21 PM   #31
scooby2102

Default Re: Building your own website

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
+1

What is wrong with vi?

am an ed man meself

oops, sorry for the derail, will keep an eye on this as well, quite interestingly differing views on how best to do it

Baph, your the resident guru on this kinda stuff, a guy in our office does all his stuff in .net and ajax but asked the question ref hosting it on his own hardware at home.

Apart from the obvious hardware/server issues, how would this work

He has a 2Mbit line and if his site is hanging off the end of it (disregarding all other hardware), if a user browsed to his site using another 2Mbit line, would that user be downloading pages at the fastest speed of the host server line (approx 500kbit upload) ???

The guy is trying to get his head round it but it kinda makes sense to me as (I think) technically his hardware is pushing data via the browser requests

hope this makes sense

Last edited by scooby2102; 20-04-09 at 01:44 PM.
Old 20-04-09, 01:25 PM   #32
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2165 View Post
I'm using publisher for my website, does the job, wasn't hard to create. Should be finished soon and uploaded
Publisher - oh dear (for consistency )

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-09, 04:57 PM   #33
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby2102 View Post
Baph, your the resident guru on this kinda stuff, a guy in our office does all his stuff in .net and ajax but asked the question ref hosting it on his own hardware at home.

Apart from the obvious hardware/server issues, how would this work

He has a 2Mbit line and if his site is hanging off the end of it (disregarding all other hardware), if a user browsed to his site using another 2Mbit line, would that user be downloading pages at the fastest speed of the host server line (approx 500kbit upload) ???

The guy is trying to get his head round it but it kinda makes sense to me as (I think) technically his hardware is pushing data via the browser requests

hope this makes sense
I only stumbled back across this ancient thread wondering what SoulKiss had to say about the title.

Hosting a server from home is OK if you're only doing websites, but for anything fancy, hosted servers are so cheap these days, there's little point paying your home electricity bill to run it.

Basically, hardware runs constantly, software running to receive HTTP requests & respond with data. That's all there is to it. If you want to know more about it, please stick up a seperate thread as I don't really want to derail this one too much.

Though I will say that I really wouldn't bother hosting from home on a 2Mbit line these days. The upload speed will be terrible.
Old 20-04-09, 07:31 PM   #34
Demonz

If your objectives are to keep costs as low as possible then why not use a public sharing site. They are mostly free and you will gain from the social networks you create. Flkr is a good example or even Facebook - why not? Just set up a business profile on here and then create your own one-page corporate site with your profesisonal contact information - link it back to to the Social networks... They are a great way of gaining support for business and the best form of marketing at the moment.
Old 20-04-09, 09:26 PM   #35
Kalessin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSV View Post
Possibly wordpress with a gallery plugin. VERY versatile.
+1.

I've built several sites with WordPress and it's great for clients who want to be able to update their site but who are not particularly web-literate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_d View Post
As a general thought, be sure to pick a provider who allows plenty of space and bandwidth without racking up extra charges. 1Gb sounds like a lot, but decent high-res photos use lots of space.
In my experience, providers who offer plenty of space and/or bandwidth without extra charges are likely to be cutting corners elsewhere, possibly in speed or service level. I have also recently seen a company who offered three levels of service: Home, Business and Pro. The guaranteed uptime was nearly 10% less on the Home plan than the Pro!

1Gb of space is a lot. Why would you have high resolution photographs online? They should be properly optimised for web use as they only need to look good on screen, to advertise the OP's photography service.

Anyway, there's no harm in starting small. Most providers will happily upgrade you, should you need it.

Full disclosure: I run a web hosting company, but since I haven't mentioned it consider me knowledgeable but not biased
Old 20-04-09, 09:55 PM   #36
lazymanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalessin View Post
+1.

I've built several sites with WordPress and it's great for clients who want to be able to update their site but who are not particularly web-literate.

In my experience, providers who offer plenty of space and/or bandwidth without extra charges are likely to be cutting corners elsewhere, possibly in speed or service level. I have also recently seen a company who offered three levels of service: Home, Business and Pro. The guaranteed uptime was nearly 10% less on the Home plan than the Pro!

1Gb of space is a lot. Why would you have high resolution photographs online? They should be properly optimised for web use as they only need to look good on screen, to advertise the OP's photography service.

Anyway, there's no harm in starting small. Most providers will happily upgrade you, should you need it.

Full disclosure: I run a web hosting company, but since I haven't mentioned it consider me knowledgeable but not biased
another +1 for wordpress.

Just get some cheap hosting and do everything with ready made open-source software, there's loads of free stuff out there that covers most angles.

I use Eclipse+PDT with a little Aptana juice for most of my work stuff, I try to avoid vim where possible.
lazymanc is offline   Reply With Quote