SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-05-08, 07:08 PM   #31
Wayluya

Default Re: Having Doubts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toypop View Post
Feeling pressured, wondering why you are doing it etc etc

Heard that before from people on here but those that have passed their CBT then gone out and crashed twice on their first ride.

I would ask you as I asked them - why are you riding? Why do you want to ride? Are you doing it please someone or because you really want to do it personally?

If it was the latter then you would be keen to get out there and practise with no worries. Think carefully before proceeding.
Yeah, you need to think whether it is something you actually want to do. Had a couple of G/f's I have tried to teach to ride - they gave it a go, and none ever fell off, but hearts not really into it. I soon learned not to bother!.......but looking back a Gpz750 Turbo maybe was a bit intimidating as a first bike - even if not as fast as it sounds.

Otherwise IMO you have 2 different problems 1) is to get road confident and 2) is being able to ride an SV650.

As you have a 125 already (and presumably you are fairly ok on??!!) just keep on practicing until you are very road confident. If the 125 is not really working for you either on the road, then simply going bigger to an SV650 will not be the cure.
Old 13-05-08, 07:13 PM   #32
Rhiwbina_Squirrel

As a lot of the others have said, I'd consider why you're doing your CBT. If it's because you want to do it then go for it. The only advice I can give is to just relax and think positively. If you think about failing you're more likely to make mistakes. Just think "I will not make a mistake" and ride naturally and safely. You'll do fine.

Best of luck

Alex
Old 14-05-08, 01:50 AM   #33
monkey

Sorry I haven't read the whole post so apoligies if I'm repeating someone.

When I did my CBT I only had a Lambretta which was off the road. I had the choice of a CG125 or a twist and go (at the riding school), so as the gears are different on the Lambretta I chose the twist and go. If there's one available why not use that to pass the CBT and then have loads of practise with Mr 24-7 on some quiet roads afterwards.
Old 14-05-08, 11:09 AM   #34
Wayluya

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyakimonkey View Post

When I did my CBT I only had a Lambretta which was off the road. I had the choice of a CG125 or a twist and go (at the riding school), so as the gears are different on the Lambretta I chose the twist and go. If there's one available why not use that to pass the CBT and then have loads of practise with Mr 24-7 on some quiet roads afterwards.
Me Scooter is a Twist and Go - and is a complete no brainer to ride (that's why I love it!)......the downside was that it took me a while to get used to no Clutch lever and instead yanking hard on the back brake lever!.....but soon got used to it .....

...until 7 years later I bought the SV!.......on the SV I was pulling the Clutch lever in slowly when trying to brake and on the Scooter I did a couple of "gear changes" using the back brake lever ......but yer soon get used to stuff.

If being on the road is the problem (confidence) then IMO a Twist & go is a great idea.....and these things can really shift in a urban environment
Old 14-05-08, 11:14 AM   #35
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Do you not require a CBT done on a geared bike to ride a geared bike?
Old 14-05-08, 11:37 AM   #36
monkey

You may have to now but you didn't when I done it, which was about 6 years ago.
Old 14-05-08, 11:41 AM   #37
AndyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyakimonkey View Post

Might be wrong here but I thought passing a CBT on a moped type thing only let you ride a moped type thing (on L-plates), not a bike with gears?
Old 14-05-08, 11:48 AM   #38
AndyW

As to the CBT itself, I took mine 2 years ago(ish) now. Instructor was a little worried about my control in traffic so I got to go out with him solo, while another instructor took the 2 others on the CBT out.
I've been driving a car for 20+ years so traffic didn't worry me, and found it much easier than in the car park where we had been practising. Did better than the two who went out with the other instructor apparently (one of whom had previously past his test but lost his license for being a very bad boy and was having to re-test).
Old 14-05-08, 12:04 PM   #39
Mogs

It is a pity that the hardest part of riding a bike is the slow stuff, which obviously has to be mastered before the faster and easier stuff. You have now done this so the rest will be easier.

Please be careful on your selection of quieter roads, because drivers often pay less attention on these. A nice big empty car is best, or an industrial estate on saturday pm or sunday with lots of open junctions with good visibility.
Old 14-05-08, 12:55 PM   #40
mrs mousetrapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs24_7 View Post
Just feel scared about going out on the road. What if I stall or can't figure out what im doing and get stuck in the middle of the road?! (I think too much!!)

Feel a teeny bit pressured into doing it but if i don't do it now then i guess I never will.
I stalled all the time on my CBT, as long as you stay calm you will be fine!
I passed my CBT 4 weeks ago and now have my first bike (Yammy YBR) and am soooo pleased that I went for it at the ripe old age of 32!
For me the main thing was sheer stubborness as I was the only girl in the group and as my instructer made me do everything first I was determined that I was going to be just as good (if not better!) than all the guys there!

I really can't recommend it enough, I went for my first proper ride out last weekend and loved it, did a little bit of traffic work and then headed off on some country roads for a bit more general practice! Not only did I manage to get up to a whopping 55 mph (I screamed quite a lot ) but I cheekily nodded at the bigger bikes on the road and got nods back!!
I have to admit though that mousetrapper played quite a large part in my confidence as he rides behind me and watches my back!

Sorry to ramble so much but as a complete novice it really is great fun and hope that you decide to try again!