SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-07-12, 05:31 PM   #31
Bluefish

Default Re: What's your price limit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkyp View Post
Steady on i only asked, been friendly on here so far , By the way what kind of trap was it under ?
Trap, Tarp, same thing. And 5k ish, probobly
Old 17-07-12, 06:41 AM   #32
Dicky Ticker

New and shiney costs money as soon as you throw your leg over, where as tweaks and polish can save you loads of dosh and look just as good. It is nice to have a new bike and hopefully trouble free for 2 years but alas that isn't always the case. I had more trouble with my SV,new in the 2 years I owned it than I have had with my secondhand Triumph in 8 years and four times the mileage. Perhaps it is just luck but it has put me off buying new again.
The other thing that surprises me is the amount of people put off because a bike has mileage on it. Mileage means that the bike is being used and not sitting in a garage drying out and seizing up,so providing that comes with a good service record and a little crud that is no big effort to clean up,you can end up with a very good bargain bike. Not everybody's way but my preference
Old 18-07-12, 07:23 AM   #33
timwilky
Mega Poster

My limit for a shiny 0 miles would be about 9k. But would I actually pay. No fecking way, until I can honestly say I am better than the bike I have will I pay out for the vanity of something shiny in the garage.

The wife has told me to trade in the little gixxer for a new 750. But I am riding so infrequently I cannot justify it. Now if it ever stops raining I will probably change my mind.
Old 18-07-12, 08:32 AM   #34
Dicky Ticker

Oh====how the rich and affluent live
Old 18-07-12, 12:48 PM   #35
Small Clanger

I'm not rich or affluent. I just run a business that is profitable and thriving in spite of the fact that this country in general, and the building trade in particular, are on their ar-e. I make no apologies to anyone for showing a profit @ the year-end, that's what motivates me.

And I pay tax on that profit whether I leave it in the business, change the Land-Rover, stick it in a 0.000001% savings account or draw it as a bonus and waste it on motorcycles.
I work long hours and this, obviously, affects the value I put on my leisure time.

At the moment I'd put my limit somewhere between the £12k 848evo Corsa, which I'm considering, or the £15.5k Panigale, which I'm definately liking but definately not considering.
Costly ones have been the 'Glide @ around £15.5k-ish and the GS's @ around £12.5k to £13k specced up.

Years ago when I was struggling with a mortgage I would have bought a cheap bike and spent my spare time tinkering, and hat's off to anyone who does/can.

Fortunately though, through a combination of hard work and good luck, I can afford shiny new bikes and cars, but part of the reason I can appreciate them is that I was brought up on a sh-te council estate in Pontefract, son of a Featherstone miner.

As I said above, IMO it's down to the value you give your leisure hours.
If you think you've earned and can enjoy a Speed Triple, a FireBlade, a GS12 or a Road King then get one, you only live once.

F-ck 'em all.

Having said all that. Appointment with accountant soon to find out tax bill for 2011/12 so the only thing I might be considering could be assisted suicide.

Last edited by Small Clanger; 18-07-12 at 04:14 PM.
Old 18-07-12, 01:21 PM   #36
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Clanger View Post
Having said all that. Appointment with accountant soon to find out tax bill for 2011/12 so the only thing I might be considering could be assisted suicide.
Yeah....just had my appointment for the year just gone, far too much money going to HMRC, would have bought a nice second bike

Triumph and Suzuki owner
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-12, 01:42 PM   #37
cF^

Whatever I can sell the last bike for + a little bit more
I love hunting for bargains though. Got my Rap with all its expensive mods and 17k miles less than the SV for £200 more than I sold the SV for.
If I was looking to buy something else the most I'd spend would probably be 2.5-3k and then it'd have to be something special. Part of the fun is finding the diamond in the rough!