SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-01-10, 05:06 PM   #31
fastdruid
Mega Poster

Default Re: New Track Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
Do you only ride at cadwell to be fair it is fairly easy to run rings around a big 1000 on a smaller bike at cadwell, for obvious reasons.
No just that's where I've done the majority of my trackdays, most of my blagging of other bikes and also the only place I've properly crashed (I don't count ending up bolt upright buried to the axles in the kitty litter as a crash )

Oh and the youtube footage was from Donington anyway.

Druid
Old 05-01-10, 08:38 PM   #32
Wester

I was told when taking my ACU licence that the best thing you can do to introduce yourself properly to the track is to get yourself a friendly bike. Not a rip snorting god knows how many bhp monster that will rip you limb from limb half the time, The case in point being a friend of the instructor who bought a tuned up 750 and then wrapped it round a barrier.
When he eventually got his confidence back, he hopped onto a standard 750 a friend lent him, knocked 2 secs of his laptimes and took it as a lesson learned.
In my short racing life I've not yet left Mallory park which is an ideal circuit for small bikes anyway, But I've found my little 400 to be more than enough to teach me right from wrong. My main race bike is a 72bhp tuned ZXR400, and in capable hands able to lap mallory in 57-58 seconds. I've managed to tuck into 1min 2secs on it after about 2 full days of tracktime (1 trackday and 2 race days) and each time I've been out I've knocked laptimes down by two seconds or so after each day.
You were at mallory park when I high sided my wet bike on my first time out in the wet, and It has kind of knocked the wind out of my sails a bit but I'm still going to race and get back out as I still can't find anything nearly equal to the feeling of lining up on a race grid and firing off the line, But the way is littered with an awful lot of people that have spent an awful lot of money to ride, Binned it and decided it wasnt for them.
So even though I've blabbed an awful lot about myself, I'll offer you what I think is the best advice i can give and the reasons why:

1. Don't get a litre bike - There is a reason there is a huge amount of 600 and minitwin rookie classes, they are a great place to start and I honestly feel you will learn an awful lot more on a 600 than a 1000, and if you do make a mistake, I honestly think the 600 will be a little more gentle with you.
2. Don't spend too much money on your bike - Keep an eye on Motoforum.net and E-bay for a pre-injection/steel framed 600, You should be able to pick something up between £1000-£1200.
3. Be prepared to catch the bug and sell everything you own to fund a habit. Tis worse than heroin.

If you ever want any info on race stuff, acu licence etc send me a pm and I'll be more than happy to have a chat, or I'm sure we'll probably bump into eachother at mallory again. Failing that there are plenty of other lads/ladys on here that can help.
Old 06-01-10, 06:52 PM   #33
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wester View Post
My main race bike is a 72bhp tuned ZXR400, and in capable hands able to lap mallory in 57-58 seconds. I've managed to tuck into 1min 2secs
impressive
Old 07-01-10, 02:41 PM   #34
Tim in Belgium

600 if only UK/short tracks.

750 AND road legal if Spa and Nurburgring as well.

Job jobbed
Old 07-01-10, 02:47 PM   #35
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Stuff
Lot of good points in there. Thanks for the pointers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neio79 View Post
600's are better on the track than 1000 IMO. will let you know how i get on with the R1 on track compared to the ZX6. But 600's can lay more of their power down quicker without risk of highsiding etc.
I'll be interested to hear how you get on Neio. Let me know what the new Silverstone is like too.
Old 07-01-10, 02:50 PM   #36
Son of a beesting

So which would you choose for a novice trackdayer with at least a daytime MOT:

CBR600 <1999 - Cheap but might be higher mileage

SRAD 600 - Bit more expensive but better 'track' suited?

Curvy - About the same cost of a SRAD but might be newer.
Old 07-01-10, 03:42 PM   #37
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a beesting View Post
So which would you choose for a novice trackdayer with at least a daytime MOT:

CBR600 <1999 - Cheap but might be higher mileage

SRAD 600 - Bit more expensive but better 'track' suited?

Curvy - About the same cost of a SRAD but might be newer.
Depends how long you've been riding. If a while, then probably the SRAD.

If new to riding then the curvy IMO. They are easy to ride, and easier to get to the maximum potential, rather than the other two.
Old 07-01-10, 04:05 PM   #38
Berlin

Quote:
My main race bike is a 72bhp tuned ZXR400, and in capable hands able to lap mallory in 57-58 seconds.
Lats time I was up at Knockhill there was a white bike in front of me that I just could not catch and I was riding the bejesus out of my Gixer 6 that puts out 100 bhp at the rear wheel. I was trying so hard I actually got a stitch after three laps of trying to keep up!!

I pulled in to find out what the hell he was riding with such a small rear tyre and it turns out it was a very well sorted FZR400RRSP with a guy on it that must have weighed 6 stone in wet leathers. Christ he was quick!

Turned out the bloke I was standing next to on the pit wall was his spanner man and that was putting out about the same as your ZXR. with that kind of power you've got a very potent weapon.

Binky, I'd seriously look at an Ex Hornet cup bike. You can get them in full racing trim and fully sorted for around £1500 and there's no fairings to replace when it goes down the road. Very easy to make them road legal again too.

The GSXR 750 SRAD is going to be split next week so last chance before it end up in pieces on Fleabay.

C

Last edited by Berlin; 07-01-10 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-01-10, 04:31 PM   #39
Son of a beesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky View Post
Depends how long you've been riding. If a while, then probably the SRAD.

If new to riding then the curvy IMO. They are easy to ride, and easier to get to the maximum potential, rather than the other two.
Thanks for the info.

I have had a license for about 2 years and have been commuting to work for about 6 months (about 300 miles a week).

So an SRAD??
Old 07-01-10, 04:54 PM   #40
N8te rider

I'd also like to get into racing next year. From reading the posts it seems skill and body weight has a big part to play when racing. Want to go CSS this Aug/Sep to improve as I'm still novice.