SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 12-06-09, 10:07 AM   #31
petevtwin650

Default Re: Barmouth/Pwllheli

Might have been up for this but it's less than a week before we travel up to Scottyland, so need to conserve the tyres.
Old 12-06-09, 12:40 PM   #32
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevtwin650 View Post
so need to conserve the tyres.
Yes that's crossed my mind to! I should be ok though.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-09, 11:50 PM   #33
Cog Head

woop woop, i have a road named after me!!! and its a good one!!! whupeeeeeeeeeee!!!

it was an damn good road, id suggest going throuh snowdonia on the a5 dodging the walkers and sheep ****e, then go allong the almighty and legendary "Coghead road" down towards barmouth, then head back towards the a5 and then to bala, my old man knows an amazingly beautiful yet thrilling route back (slip and ya dead sort of road) then head towards shrewsbury and then to somewhere then split into out home going groups
Old 13-06-09, 05:10 PM   #34
DaveP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Yes that's crossed my mind to! I should be ok though.

You sure??
Old 14-06-09, 12:53 PM   #35
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
You sure??
Will have to see after the Barmouth ride.

Old 14-06-09, 02:31 PM   #36
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cog Head View Post

it was an damn good road, id suggest going throuh snowdonia on the a5 dodging the walkers and sheep ****e, then go allong the almighty and legendary "Coghead road" down towards barmouth, then head back towards the a5 and then to bala, my old man knows an amazingly beautiful yet thrilling route back (slip and ya dead sort of road) then head towards shrewsbury and then to somewhere then split into out home going groups
I can't work out your route, no wonder you got lost last time round

We'll start at Shrewsbury Services, A5 west to Knockin. This means to the end of the Nesscliffe bypass (about 10 miles from Shrewsbury, I guess) and turn left. Then just go straight on into the Tanat Valley, up a damn steep hill up the Berwyns (this might be the road you're thinking of, Coggie - there's a sheer drop if you misjudge things), over the top, and down the other side through a fantastic series of bends - there are two very sharp hairpins, be careful). The road comes out on the south side of Bala, so we turn right to go into the town - at the crossroads we will turn left and park up along the main street (plenty of room) and have a coffee at the Ty Coffy. 'Ty' does NOT mean 'tea'!!! It's the Welsh equivalent of the Cornish 'Chy' or the French 'chez' - no English translation, LP will correct me if I'm wrong on this.

We'll meet Skeetly and anyone else wanting to join at Bala here.

Then out the town, turn left onto Coghead Road A4212, NB North Wales Police are well aware that this is a fantastic bike road so we will doubtless share it with a few police bikes and cars, some unmarked. If you get nicked you have only yourself to blame and no we won't stop for you.

Turn right at Trawsfynydd and follow this glorious twisty A487 (I think)road into Porthmadog. NB this is the only road into the town - it goes across a narrow causeway, usually a long traffic jam. So we may need to filter. A number of board members have had filtering accidents recently so please please PLEASE be sensible, there are no prizes for getting knocked off. You must decide for yourself if it's safe to filter, don't simply follow everyone else 'just because'.

Through the town and on to Pwllheli. Fess up - I've not been to Pwllheli before!!!! Haven't had time to do a recce there so if someone else knows the place then that's great.

Back the same way through Porthmadog, and then we will take the toll bridge at Penrhyndeudraeth towards Harlech (it cuts off a long ride round) - 40p I think toll - and then we'll go down through Harlech (nice twisty road - narrow in places) and on to Barmouth for a stop. Suggest we park up outside the small funfair/amusement place on the sea front, there's a small cafe next to it.

Back from Barmouth to Dolgellau (beware hand held speed detectors in the 30 limits on this road), we'll hang a left onto the A494 back to Bala and then back over the tops to S'bury. Some might want to head off back from Bala up towards Corwen, and the A483 for Chester and all stops north.

That's about it. We'll do the normal marker system, although to be fair it's difficult to get lost and anyway I'll tell you where we're headed.

Hope for a day like today
Old 14-06-09, 06:34 PM   #37
glsuk1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
Back the same way through Porthmadog, and then we will take the toll bridge at Penrhyndeudraeth towards Harlech (it cuts off a long ride round) - 40p I think toll - and then we'll go down through Harlech (nice twisty road - narrow in places) and on to Barmouth for a stop. Suggest we park up outside the small funfair/amusement place on the sea front, there's a small cafe next to it.
Last time I went through that toll (one of Luckypants' NW runs, I think) I didn't have any change and when I flashed a £20 note the guy just waved me through. OK, it's not a great deal of money but still, 40 pence is 40 pence!

It's a bit of a pain that toll, taking your gloves off and rummaging around for the change. Might be an idea that the 40p's (or whatever it is) are collected beforehand and given to the leader so he/she can just hand over the lot?

Shame I can't join you for this one but I've already made other plans. If metcheck.com are correct then it looks like the sun will be cracking the flags so fingers crossed everyone.
Old 14-06-09, 07:44 PM   #38
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsuk1970 View Post
Shame I can't join you for this one but I've already made other plans.
Change em!
Old 14-06-09, 08:15 PM   #39
glsuk1970

Don't tempt me, Ed!!

The last MM had some brilliant roads that I've never ridden on despite them all being on my doorstep and the route for this Saturday looks brilliant, too.

Besides, there'd be a couple of mates I'd be letting down if I backed out now and that's not good. If it wasn't something we'd been planning for a while I'd seriously consider it cause I'm genuinely gutted to be missing it. Don't suppose you can postpone it for a fortnight?
Old 14-06-09, 10:19 PM   #40
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
40p I think toll
( It is 60p per vehicle now) WRONG!!! Oooops thinking of wrong toll!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsuk1970 View Post
It's a bit of a pain that toll, taking your gloves off and rummaging around for the change. Might be an idea that the 40p's (or whatever it is) are collected beforehand and given to the leader so he/she can just hand over the lot?
I have paid for everyone as I was first bike then collected the money at the lunch stop on the last two NWR rides.

Last edited by Luckypants; 15-06-09 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Was thining of wrong bridge