SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-08-09, 03:06 PM   #31
fastdruid
Mega Poster

Default Re: My first off/accident!! - Miss my bike already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Who told you that balls? Frames maybe expensive can't think of much else for the curvy. I got new forks, front wheel , cam cover plastics, mirrors, indicators and tank from a breaker. Then just bought some head bearings and renthals from a shop.
At new prices I'm not that surprised. I don't know about the SV but a mag some time ago got a honda dealer to add up how much a CBR6 would be to buy in bits and ISTR it was something like £36k!!!

Also remember that the slightest scratch will mean a part will be 'replaced' while still perfectly usable.

Druid
Old 22-08-09, 03:27 PM   #32
thulfi

yeeh what Druid said...I think the place are quoting original parts from suzuki for anything that has altered in the slightest way since the accident...

I like how you sorted your bike out Druid, but unfortunately, without the labour know-how from my part, it's not going to be so cheap, as I will at some point fork out for someone to do the work for me.

Anyway, I'm off to see my bike on Monday. Gonna take some pics, get a list of all that needs replacing - (urgent or cosmetic) and let you guys know.

Thanks for the help.

(I just dont know how Im going to last months without a bike. Everytime I get in a car or public transport I just wanna shoot myself. Miss that freedom of 2 wheels)!
Old 22-08-09, 03:46 PM   #33
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Get a local .orger to sort it for you for a couple of pints.
Old 22-08-09, 03:57 PM   #34
metalangel

[QUOTE=thulfi;2012539]I like how you sorted your bike out Druid, but unfortunately, without the labour know-how from my part, it's not going to be so cheap, as I will at some point fork out for someone to do the work for me./QUOTE]

Yeah, that's why I'm just gonna buy a new bike instead of trying to repair mine. Wouldn't have a clue where to start and certainly wouldn't want to think I'd fixed it up only to go out and have it fall apart around me and finish me off! I try not to think about it (loved it, only had it five months) but I don't have much choice.

Sorry to hear about the crash btw, absolutely gutting but at least you're alright and have lived to ride another day!
Old 22-08-09, 06:23 PM   #35
thulfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
Yeah, that's why I'm just gonna buy a new bike instead of trying to repair mine. Wouldn't have a clue where to start and certainly wouldn't want to think I'd fixed it up only to go out and have it fall apart around me and finish me off!
yeeh its looking like that for me as well mate..

I hadn't even got over my 'honeymoon period' with my bike, and its taken away from me. It's easier not to think about it, but unfortunately, most of the time I can't help BUT think about it!!..

even see it in my dreams, lol!
Old 22-08-09, 06:25 PM   #36
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

So stop being a girl and learn how to fix it
Old 22-08-09, 07:09 PM   #37
thulfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
So stop being a girl and learn how to fix it
no way, why didn't I just think of that from the start!..

tho seriously, im going into my 4th year doing medicine at uni - not much spare time to do much really - which includes going from being a guy who can just about perform basic safey checks to a man who can rebuild a motorbike!!
Old 22-08-09, 07:30 PM   #38
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Thulfi, if the frame is straight then getting you back on the road with begged, borrowed or bought....bits will be easy. Honestly these bikes come apart and go back together really easily and as YC said, you'll soon sus it all out with a little help. Firstly where are you based (appreciate you are at Uni, how long before you're back there and have you got a garage/somewhere to keep and work on the bike.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-09, 08:02 PM   #39
thulfi

hey Red Herring,

well I'm studying in London. My bikes being held at Sudden Impact in Essex. I'm off on holiday in a week with the family until the start of my new term in September.

I'm also gutted because I don't have a garage to store my bike. I live in London Bridge in a flat with mates. London's not the best place for garages/storage. My bike used to just be left outside on the street under my watchful eye from the window up top.

If I had the time and physical space I would probably give it a shot myself, even as a complete newb. But lack of both makes it a tad harder unfortunately!

(and I will find out on Monday if the frame is straight, fingers crossed!)
Old 22-08-09, 08:21 PM   #40
metalmonkey

Could you not keep the bike at your parents house?