SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-09-11, 02:32 PM   #31
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Default Re: Warming up the engine?

Wait until the temp gage spits out a figure before I ride it (I think 20-23 degrees C), don't use too many revs until 40 degrees or so and wont cane it or accelerate hard until it is up around the 70-80 degrees C.

Regards

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-11, 10:58 AM   #32
Matt Lund FTW

Cheers Ralph, i'll keep an eye out for one!
Old 08-10-11, 04:33 PM   #33
AZZ3R

On most carb bikes they say around 40-1min of full choke and then easy off to no choke before getting the revs above 6k.

I think you need to have one of these things atleast once and you'll know all about them when or if you buy a carbed bike.

E.g if you never ride in the snow and one day get cought out in the snow you'll s*it yourself becasue you won't know how to handle the situation. (<- if that makes sense)

If I were to buy a FI bike I'd still let it idle for about 40-1min just to let the oil sink and circulate before riding.

TBH, if you can afford the Bike, Insurance + Tax I'm pretty sure you can afford to lose 40p(Max) in fuel.
Old 08-10-11, 06:57 PM   #34
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

It's not about the fuel, it's about the best way to warm it up... which is by riding it gently. Only stand there warming it up until it will tick over by itself.
Old 08-10-11, 07:26 PM   #35
AZZ3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
It's not about the fuel, it's about the best way to warm it up... which is by riding it gently. Only stand there warming it up until it will tick over by itself.
Reason why I stated fuel in my first post was I read eailer on in the pages that someone moaned about losing fuel while it was ticking over. so I made a point about it.

Also, with the FI bike i'm sure you don't get a choke so either way id still let it idle for around 40-1min just so all the oil is running.
Old 08-10-11, 08:13 PM   #36
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZZ3R View Post
Also, with the FI bike i'm sure you don't get a choke so either way id still let it idle for around 40-1min just so all the oil is running.
Please can you explain why the oil would need 40 seconds to 'run', and where it is running to and from?
Old 08-10-11, 08:30 PM   #37
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
The SV doesn't have a choke either, it's got a cold start lever/idle enrichment.

Well if you think about what the "choke" on SV does (I'm guessing you don't know), it richens the mixture and opens a small passageway to let a little more air in.

Whereas an FI bike, obviously has no choke. It has a map which says it must add more fuel when cold, and operates the secondary throttle valve to press a lever on the main throttle cam to let more air in. The upshot being a faster, rich idle. Sound familiar?
Old 08-10-11, 09:37 PM   #38
AZZ3R

Quote:
The SV doesn't have a choke either, it's got a cold start lever/idle enrichment.
Yes the Curvy model does have a choke lever a cold/start lever is also known as a 'choke'. (Read The Manual) Let me quote something. "This Motorcycle has a choke system to provide easy starting when the engine is cold." (So yes it does have a choke)

Quote:
Well if you think about what the "choke" on SV does (I'm guessing you don't know), it richens the mixture and opens a small passageway to let a little more air in.
I'm 'Guessing' you don't know how to read I said nothing about the choke opening or closing a 'small passageway' so why you stated that I don't know. (I know how the choke works I've ridden a carbed 2T for 2years.)

Also your wrong, it doesn't allow more air to get in it reduces the air flow allowing more fuel to be burnt, thus making the engine fire quicker than usuall. ("Cold start")

Quote:
Whereas an FI bike, obviously has no choke. It has a map which says it must add more fuel when cold, and operates the secondary throttle valve to press a lever on the main throttle cam to let more air in. The upshot being a faster, rich idle. Sound familiar?
Also why your 're-quoting' me I don't know, I orignally said I'm sure the FI bike doesn't have a choke, why you call it a choke on the FI bike but not the carbed I have no idea. before replying read what I said.
(I'm not trying to sound arsy atall, just your putting it across to me asif you think I don't know, yet you don't know me atall, or anything on my biking knowlage for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Please can you explain why the oil would need 40 seconds to 'run', and where it is running to and from?
Ok I might be slightly exaggerating on the 40seconds, but it states in the manual " Allow suffucuent idling time after cold engine start to allow lubricating oil to reach all critical engine components" 'To me' thats more than 20seconds, Yes 40 seconds may be abit too much.

Last edited by AZZ3R; 08-10-11 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-10-11, 05:07 PM   #39
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Also your wrong, it doesn't allow more air to get in it reduces the air flow allowing more fuel to be burnt, thus making the engine fire quicker than usuall. ("Cold start")
Have a look in an SV carb and come back to me on that one.

FI has no choke either, it has a fast idle and idle enrichment, which does exactly the same thing as the carb un.

How exactly would reducing air flow allow more fuel to be burnt?

Last edited by yorkie_chris; 09-10-11 at 05:09 PM.
yorkie_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-11, 05:12 PM   #40
-Ralph-

I think we need a shovel.