SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-11-06, 02:54 PM   #31
Mogs

I don't understand these lights, that's the original ones as posted by kwak.

I've printed the images out and will pose the question to my IAM observer on Sunday, with a bit of luck they will fox him
Old 21-11-06, 04:12 PM   #32
Jabba

I've been looking at this (i.e. Kwaks original photo) for a couple of days and talked it through with the guys here in the office. The more we look the more confused we get.

The pictures are not that clear, but am I right in thinking that the right-hand set of lights, presumably for the traffic in the right hand (dedicated right-turn) lane, has four lights - red, amber, round green and right-filter green? Also, I'm also assuming that the right-turn is a simple 90deg right into a single side road. If all this is correct then I offer the following comments:

Given that the right-lane is is right-turn only I cannot see how it is possible for both the red stop-light and the green right-filter arrow to be alight at the same time.

Come to think of it, I can't see the need for both the right-filter arrow and the normal go-light on this set of lights. One or other, preferably the former, but not both.

I can also see how WVM is thinking the way he is; if the right filter arrow is alight then there should be a red stop-light for oncoming traffic, but there couldn't have been or Kwak would have stopped.

If all of the above is correct then both insurances companies should be asking so questions of the local authority with responsibility for the lights. Are there lots of accidents/near misses here? If not, why not?

Best of luck getting things sorted, Kwak
Old 21-11-06, 06:42 PM   #33
TimTucker

Kwak, a clearer and/or closer photo of those lights would help, but I'm pretty sure that what looks like the "green filter" light hanging below the level of the three lights is, in fact, a white arrow on a blue background, indicating that the lights above it a for the right-hand turn lane only.

Is this the junction where the van turned right into your path? Or did you turn right here and get clobbered by the van?
Old 21-11-06, 06:54 PM   #34
TimTucker

Managed to find your post about the accident.

From what you wrote there, I presume that you've taken the photos from the direction that the van approached the junction?

Going on that basis, I guess he's seen the main green, but not the red for the right-hand lane, and turned right into your path. Or presumed that because the left-hand set of lights is green he can turn right, if his path is clear (which it obviously wasn't).

You say you saw all greens as you approached the junction, which means that there must have been a red on the right-hand set of lights.

The difficult thing will be proving that he has turned right on a red, and is in the wrong, to the insurance companies. Witnesses are what you are going to need.
Old 21-11-06, 07:26 PM   #35
kwak zzr

my solicitor is trying to trace a van which i remember being on the road at the same time as me, he might be able so shed some light on this my solicitor is also talking to Wolverhampton council about these lights to see if anything was reported that day as it stands Ive not no witnesses and a bike insured TPF T
Old 21-11-06, 07:26 PM   #36
kwak zzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattSV
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr
i'm happer now tho ive just collected my new ride
Did you get the SV1000?
Sure did.
Old 21-11-06, 07:30 PM   #37
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTucker
Kwak, a clearer and/or closer photo of those lights would help, but I'm pretty sure that what looks like the "green filter" light hanging below the level of the three lights is, in fact, a white arrow on a blue background, indicating that the lights above it a for the right-hand turn lane only.

that's what i thought as said a clearer picture would be useful if you can do it
Old 21-11-06, 07:32 PM   #38
kwak zzr

will do that next time i'm passing that area.
Old 21-11-06, 09:39 PM   #39
the_runt69

couple of sets of lights round my way now have a straight on arrow, you get the green light when you can turn right.

H
Old 22-11-06, 07:58 AM   #40
mattSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTucker
Is this the junction where the van turned right into your path? Or did you turn right here and get clobbered by the van?
That was exactly what I thought aswell - a close up photo of the lights (similar to Laws?) might help.
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote