SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-02-11, 01:15 PM   #31
AndyBrad

Default Re: HOW MUCH?! - I'll Give it a go myself thanks

get yc to do it for ya. would give him some practice now hes got a car license and will soon be dismantling 4 wheels as well as 2

good luck chap.
Old 23-02-11, 01:40 PM   #32
Owenski

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819 View Post
I would seriously consider getting someone to do the belt for you.

If it takes an experienced mechanic 4 hours to do it, it will take you 8 or more, I speak from bitter painful experience.

Sure I got th job done but fek me I wasted a lot of time.

Now you have bought the belt and tensioners etc etc they may only charge £200, Look at it as £200 of insurance, after all of the car was free, and you in total spend £500 on it thats better than spending £300 on parts and killing th engine isnt it?

Do the rest yourself but give yourself the piece of mind and reassurance by getting a garage to do the belt, it will be worth it.

£500 for car that if it lasts a year is still cheap motoring... and what happened to the honda?

I know what your saying, I thought the same thing about how long it will take and because I'll need to read a chapter for ever spanner turn I do I've allowed a whole weekend for the work.

I'll have done most of the work whilst doing some of the other checks so I may as well do the lot. Eg I'll be doing the valve clearences after checking the valves arnet already bent so will have to strip most bits to get that far then I planned on checking the compression at the plugs so may as well change the plugs. The filters etc are nothing in the scheme of what I've got planned.

I have however decided to not get the brake stuff, decided to leave that for another day as if I do kill the engine then I'll have wasted money on the brake parts.

Honda has been sold now to a work mate, made £200 on what I paid for it which I spose covers the cost of MOT and Tax I had to get while I owned it. After all the Megane work is done I should still come out with a car and about £200 which is pretty awsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Where's the fun in that?
Exactly, besides Im sure you'd all love to read the thread titled
"why you shouldnt attempt a timing belt change on your own car".
Old 23-02-11, 01:42 PM   #33
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Just be careful and apply tippex. Worst you can do is get lost and decide you need to get it towed to a garage.
Old 23-02-11, 01:44 PM   #34
Owenski

lol I asked on the megane forum for any essential tools to complete the job and tippex was the first response on there too lol.
Old 23-02-11, 01:50 PM   #35
Viney
Mega Poster

Im a pretty experienced car mechanic and there are only 2 jobs i get done by a mechanic. Clutch and timing belt. I have attempted both jobs in the past on various cars and they have always taken far far longer and involved a lot of hassle.

However i could change a clutch in an old style skoda in 50 mins flat and that included removing the entire engine and gear box.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-11, 01:58 PM   #36
Owenski

If time is the only concern then Im not concerned (if that makes sense), I've allowed 2 days to get the work.

Im not experianced at car mechanics and Im not brilliant at bike stuff but Im confident in if I take my time and read the haynes to the point that I actually understnad every word and process fully then I shouldnt have an issue. Quite honestly I spent less time studying for my structural engineering exam last year than I have for this timing belt swap. (and yes I passed my structures exam).

My main concern is getting to the point where Im checking the values, and I find them bent if that happens I've already wasted a lot of money before even starting.

Last edited by Owenski; 23-02-11 at 02:00 PM.
Old 23-02-11, 01:59 PM   #37
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Not like you actually need the car either since you have a motorsickle and your missus has her own car
Old 23-02-11, 02:01 PM   #38
Owenski

Yeah that is a bonus, its not an essential mode of transport for me currently.

My other concern is the bloody ebay items not turning up in time.
Old 23-02-11, 02:05 PM   #39
svtomo

its not hard just need to be methodical with it, as i said before time the engine up with your kit before touching anything else and it will be fine, i can do them in just over an hour now, mind you iv done loads. spark plugs are normal size, only the clio 1.2 16v have small 1s.
Old 23-02-11, 02:15 PM   #40
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

oi matt, you want some leeds ring decals? and some xenon style foglights? I could prolly install a 12" sub and throw in a free bassline house CD

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote