SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

Old 12-06-08, 03:33 PM   #31
flibble

Default Re: Any good bike electritions...??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester666 View Post
Where abouts in Staines is Black Dog?
They've just taken over Giffords of Staines and in process of opening shop.
139 Kingston Rd, Staines, TW18 1PD (01784 452489)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sosha View Post
Rubbish! Boo! Brings back distant memories of ragging a NC30 round a closed British gas carpark in a (failed) effort to find out what was up with it (seriously gummed carbs set up to run without air filter if memory serves)

Got stopped by the police pushing it home.
"Should have got a CBR" he said
"Nah girls bike...totally gutless" Brother said
"I've got the CBR" he said...

Yeah, totally rubbish and when I test rode it yesterday, some guy on a honda tourer stopped to help. Commented on being surprised it was having electrical probs being a honda... so briefly explained the dodgy diy electrics

So next update, have bought a wiring loom of fleabay for £24 so they're going to replace the existing one today. Hopefully hear from them later... all cutting bit fine for the rock. Hope everyone else is sorted by now...
Old 12-06-08, 07:14 PM   #32
Jester666

Cheers Flibble.

I was gutted when Giffords closed. Aparently the owner went bankrupt.
Old 13-06-08, 07:46 AM   #33
philbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by flibble View Post
They've just taken over Giffords of Staines and in process of opening shop.
139 Kingston Rd, Staines, TW18 1PD (01784 452489)

Yeah, totally rubbish and when I test rode it yesterday, some guy on a honda tourer stopped to help. Commented on being surprised it was having electrical probs being a honda... so briefly explained the dodgy diy electrics

So next update, have bought a wiring loom of fleabay for £24 so they're going to replace the existing one today. Hopefully hear from them later... all cutting bit fine for the rock. Hope everyone else is sorted by now...
Well i still have no rear tyre thanks to mark at ride-In not being able to get hold of a Z6! at this rate I'll be on the bloody ZZR (I've heard a top box adds at least 20mph on the track ).

Really hope the new loom sorts it - I'm sure it will. I know how frustrating it is, I eneded up just bypassing my SV "safety" switches for the track day cos they kept killing the engine mid corner - nice.
Old 13-06-08, 08:29 AM   #34
ogden
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbut View Post
Well i still have no rear tyre thanks to mark at ride-In not being able to get hold of a Z6! at this rate I'll be on the bloody ZZR (I've heard a top box adds at least 20mph on the track ).
Give FWR a call - they've always had whatever I wanted in stock - and if they've got one (or can get one), pop over to Kennington tomorrow. £89.99 for a 150/70 and they'll do a ride-in service.

http://www.fwr.co.uk/
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-08, 03:23 PM   #35
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbut View Post
at this rate I'll be on the bloody ZZR
Having seen the amount of oil that was covering your boot, I'd be mighty surprised (and a little worried) if your bike passed scrutinising. Unless that is you have fixed already.
Old 13-06-08, 03:27 PM   #36
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogden View Post
Give FWR a call - they've always had whatever I wanted in stock - and if they've got one (or can get one), pop over to Kennington tomorrow. £89.99 for a 150/70 and they'll do a ride-in service.

http://www.fwr.co.uk/
Better idea, spend a little more in time and money and go to Essential Rubber.

Wouldn't go near FWR after the reviews they have had, highlights including not re-fitting a front caliper correctly (fell off 20 feet up the road) and not being able to rivet a chain together properly (I was behind the bike that was done on when it failed)

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-08, 12:15 PM   #37
walkaboutandy

Fibble, are you sure the coils are OK? I've seen this on cars that cut out at high revs when the coil overheats and cuts the spark. How long does it take to start running again? Is the bike injected or carb'ed? Also how good is the battery and charging system? When the engine cuts do the lights/other electrics still work?
Old 14-06-08, 04:12 PM   #38
flibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkaboutandy View Post
Fibble, are you sure the coils are OK? I've seen this on cars that cut out at high revs when the coil overheats and cuts the spark. How long does it take to start running again? Is the bike injected or carb'ed? Also how good is the battery and charging system? When the engine cuts do the lights/other electrics still work?
Cheers for help, it's injected & battery's good. Bike's now running. Not really sure what the problem was...

As we needed to get it working for the rock, we ended up taking out the mess of wires along with the power commander. It really was a mess, wires hanging over the manifold, random wires cut, earthed, some soldered.. (there are no lights, indicators as it's a track only bike).

Inserted another wiring loom and its running ok in high revs (so far).... guess it may be either faulty wires/power commander/ignition box or wrong map. Will have to spend some time later in sorting these bits out and putting them back in