SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-04-07, 06:11 PM   #31
gettin2dizzy

Default Re: Triumph Street Triple

its certainly a good engine! check this out
http://www.motorbox.com/static/upl/t...7493-100-f.wmv
Old 05-04-07, 07:16 PM   #32
$tevo

Is oil consumption still an issue with this engine? Someone from Bike mag managed to trash one through neglecting daily oil level check - it got through 1.8 litres in 3000 miles
Old 05-04-07, 09:10 PM   #33
Jelster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tildo View Post
Is oil consumption still an issue with this engine? Someone from Bike mag managed to trash one through neglecting daily oil level check - it got through 1.8 litres in 3000 miles
3000 miles without being run in, a number of track days and being totally abused. That's the other side of the story, apparently.

Old 05-04-07, 09:19 PM   #34
northwind
Mega Poster

Modern bikes aren't generally that sensitive to running in in the short term, though... Then you have the other magazine test bike that spat a valve, for PB, where Triumph are blaming everyone else but themselves.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-07, 08:15 AM   #35
Jelster

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Modern bikes aren't generally that sensitive to running in in the short term, though... Then you have the other magazine test bike that spat a valve, for PB, where Triumph are blaming everyone else but themselves.
But as another magazine put it... "Why is it only EMAP magazine riders hat have the problem ? There's was fine, and I honestly think these "long termers" get really abused. Triumph have said that it may use a bit more oil than some other engines, but I spoken to people with them and they don't have a problem.

Old 06-04-07, 01:05 PM   #36
northwind
Mega Poster

It's definately not just EMAP Triumphs that use oil, I've heard it from a few owners and from a Triumph dealership... The only guy I know personally with one took to carrying a bottle of oil around with him for a while But he did say it settled down and now only drinks quite a bit, instead of loads... He probably ran it in too gently if anything, it was only once he got out of the run-in period that it fell. Running in badly tends to lead to more oil loss than running in hard I think- glazed bores, badly seated rings.

This is a guy that owned a boxer BMW, so he's not exactly new to thirsty engines. But he'd not hear a word against the bike despite that, and I can't blame him
Old 08-04-07, 01:34 PM   #37
arenalife

This is the only thread I can find in a search so I'll add to this one! The Street Triple launches in a couple of weeks and expected otr price is 5.5k, that's a good chunk below the 675. Similar price as the new Hornet really, or GSR600.

I can't wait to sit on one, feck knows what I'll do if I want one though, aaargh!
Old 08-04-07, 02:56 PM   #38
northwind
Mega Poster

It interests me I won't buy one, I think it's a wee bit of a mess now they've actually built it, but if it and the Shiver can lead a quality middleweight resurgence then it's all good.
Old 10-06-07, 11:44 PM   #39
$tevo

Between the two I think I prefer the Shiver but worried about Aprilia's reliability and finish. Mate at work had an RS125 fall apart from underneath him over one winter. Triumphs get mixed reviews over their finish too, don't they? No BMW naked either is there?

As nice as all these bikes are, I think I'm still having too much fun on my K5 naked to get something supposedly (or in fact) better. My only gripe is that it sometimes gets unsettled going into bends but then I'm a porker - I'll probably spend some energy getting it suspended for my mass. Not a fan of motorways on bikes anyway so most of my fun is had on A roads at legalish velocities which the SV is very happy at.
Old 15-06-07, 04:34 PM   #40
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
It's definately not just EMAP Triumphs that use oil, I've heard it from a few owners and from a Triumph dealership... The only guy I know personally with one took to carrying a bottle of oil around with him for a while But he did say it settled down and now only drinks quite a bit, instead of loads... He probably ran it in too gently if anything, it was only once he got out of the run-in period that it fell. Running in badly tends to lead to more oil loss than running in hard I think- glazed bores, badly seated rings.

This is a guy that owned a boxer BMW, so he's not exactly new to thirsty engines. But he'd not hear a word against the bike despite that, and I can't blame him
What's the difference between running in badly and running in hard? Surely running in badly is running in hard? I've heard some people simply don't bother with running in new bikes and so pass on the likelyhood of reliability problems to the next owner. What about a running in business? Would be great to be paid to run in bikes. All new and shiny.

I really fancy either of the two 675s but I really don't think I could afford the daytona. I'm hoping the street triple will be enough of a bike for me. Anyone know of any reasonable trackday insurers?