SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 15-01-07, 04:44 PM   #31
Tim in Belgium

Most days I'd set off between 8.30 and 9.30 although it was occassionally later, depending on how long it took to eat breakfast, pay for hotel, pack the bike up etc, but by the enfd of the week I was in a nice rhythm.

I'd then ususally ride for a bit until some time mid morning and stop for something to drink, like coffee and possibly some cake etc. Would also stop for lunch and then possibly another stop in the afternoon for coffee/cake. Alongside these were fuel stops, camera stops and pee stops. I usually rode until 4.30-5.30 in the afternoon/early evening to loom for accomodation. I usually had a rough idea of what town to aim for by the end of the day but if I was ahead/behind schedule I'd just stop where I felt like. I tried not too push it just for the distance as I knew I had a spare day at the end of the week if need be.

As for long stints before, most of my ride outs since starting were 3hrs+ as it took about an hour to get to decent roads from where I used to live. I had also done a bank holiday weekend trip to the Vosges, a day trip to the UK and back (including track day), and a round trip from Leuven to Oxford for a BBQ, so had done a few miles before but nothing out of the ordinary.
Old 15-01-07, 05:04 PM   #32
Jelster

Default Bump

*Bump*
Old 15-01-07, 05:14 PM   #33
Jelster

In the Alps you shouldn't realistically plan for more than about 250 miles/day unless you have to. Riding on those roads in summer is harder work than you think, and what may only be 50 miles on a map can be hard going if it's a 2000m climb and back down again. Obviously, through all the tight bends, your average speed goes down and you need to stop to take on water and just have a break.

If you start at 9:30 and expect to be at your hotel by 5pm you'll be in trouble, it always seems to take longer than expected So, about 250 twisty'ish miles is about right, more if you're fit and used to it, less if you're a wimp.

I always take too much, but I have got into the habit of changing in the evening and riding in the same top the next day (unless you spill dinner or beer on it) and take some washing liquid. I can get away with 3 tee shirts and 3 sets of undies for 10 days, washing them as soon as I get to the hotel. Chain lube is a must, and if riding in a group, you can spread the essential tools between you so you don't all have huge tool kits (same with security - 1 chain to 2 bikes).

Don't forget you're talc, best thing to put on your skin before a hard day in leathers... It works and it's good...