SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-02-11, 08:37 PM   #31
Lozzo

Default Re: Increasing foreign aid.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
Malta?
The Maltese don't muck about with illegals. There have been stories of fishermen ramming immigrant boats outside of territorial waters and leaving the illegals to fend for themselves or head back to where they came from, and those who do make it to the island are mostly interned in a large detention centre until being deported or repatriated (which my cousin has the contract to make the fences for).

There's none of your liberal, wooly, yoghurt weaving sentiments over there... thank god.
Old 28-02-11, 08:41 PM   #32
Specialone

Exclamation Re: Increasing foreign aid.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
And also to add the spending of 17billion on the Birmingham - London high speed rail link.

Bit off topic, but can we afford this at the mo?

Do we need it - Midlands folk let me know?
Simple answer, probably no !!

But do we need new bus lanes and the road works that have been going on through the elmdon / NEC trading estate by brum airport?
4 fecking buses an hour, so they put in a bus lane on a 40 mph dual carriageway for less than 1 mile, not even that busy on there, will be now when the roadworks have finished and 1 lane open to cars
Will anymore people use public transport? Will they feck, will the bus companies put anymore buses on? Will they feck !!

Any investment on the rail network can't be bad can it, gets people off the road I guess, rather spend the money on improving existing network than add to it.
Old 28-02-11, 08:43 PM   #33
orose

Quote:
And also to add the spending of 17billion on the Birmingham - London high speed rail link.

Anything that allows people to get out of both London and Birmingham to civilisation quicker probably deserves a humanitarian prize...

More seriously, we do need to invest in our railways - I'd like to see more electrification and rolling stock updates personally, but that's because that's what I use every day.
Old 28-02-11, 08:46 PM   #34
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
The Maltese don't muck about with illegals. There have been stories of fishermen ramming immigrant boats outside of territorial waters and leaving the illegals to fend for themselves or head back to where they came from, and those who do make it to the island are mostly interned in a large detention centre until being deported or repatriated (which my cousin has the contract to make the fences for).

There's none of your liberal, wooly, yoghurt weaving sentiments over there... thank god.
lets be fair though Malta is ermm well tiny so they cant let to many people in.

whats the size of Malta?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-11, 08:54 PM   #35
speedplay

I really shouldnt comment on this as there's not a soap box big enough for me to use and I'll only get a rant on.

Government......
Old 28-02-11, 08:59 PM   #36
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Simple answer, probably no !!

But do we need new bus lanes and the road works that have been going on through the elmdon / NEC trading estate by brum airport?
4 fecking buses an hour, so they put in a bus lane on a 40 mph dual carriageway for less than 1 mile, not even that busy on there, will be now when the roadworks have finished and 1 lane open to cars
Will anymore people use public transport? Will they feck, will the bus companies put anymore buses on? Will they feck !!

Any investment on the rail network can't be bad can it, gets people off the road I guess, rather spend the money on improving existing network than add to it.
To true

Quote:
Originally Posted by orose View Post
Anything that allows people to get out of both London and Birmingham to civilisation quicker probably deserves a humanitarian prize...

More seriously, we do need to invest in our railways - I'd like to see more electrification and rolling stock updates personally, but that's because that's what I use every day.
Yes, I think that most peoples gripe with the trains is not enough space on them.

We should have upgraded the rail networks ages ago, but sucessive govenments (Tory & Labour) have failed to invest enough in railways
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-11, 09:38 PM   #37
Bri w

Quote:

Its so the immigrants can get to Brum quicker

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-11, 10:29 PM   #38
Balky001
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri w View Post
Its so the immigrants can get to Brum quicker
They get free rail travel too??
Old 28-02-11, 10:38 PM   #39
Specialone

No the rail link is to send the immigrants TO London, not receive more
Old 28-02-11, 10:44 PM   #40
metalmonkey

So we are giving away all this money to other countries, if the Uk needed help would they give us money to help us out?

As for infrastructre yes lots of money needs to be spent on the roads are a mess, public transport is mess, the national grid ect...thought I suspect any savings made will be used to line pockects of rich not us those in power do not care about anything but themselves and their bank balance.