SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-07-15, 04:18 PM   #31
Ch00

Default Re: Northern Ontario Adventure, with bears and moose

Sounds like a top trip!
Old 28-07-15, 04:29 PM   #32
Nutsinatin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Lee View Post
There's a noticeable flat spot on the rear tire. I wish I would of measured the tread depth before leaving. Currently at 8500 km, the centre of the tire seems to be worn down aproximately 1mm. Is that good/bad?
On my PR3's I was bald in the middle at ~8000 miles (~13000 Kms I think) but with all your luggage and straight lining that's not bad - the BT21s this bike came with would have been bald by 5000 miles (~8000 Km) if I hadn't punctured the front so using that as a comparison you're pretty much on the money with the OEM tyres from my experience.

As for the heel plates I've worn through most of the coating on mine in ~7500 miles so they look a bit naff at the minute. But on my old bike after 20,000 miles the heel plate were polished from all that wear and looked great. There was no maintainance either as the more I rode the more they polished

Great adventure!
Blue K9 Pointy #2 - Nearly at 120,000 miles!
Nutsinatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-15, 12:22 AM   #33
Terry Lee

Quote:
After a thorough inspection and cleaning, I discovered some more wear marks on my formerly pristine SV. In addition to the tailpiece marks, there's an oxide smear from one of the fuel bottles
Hah, restored to the best of my abilities. A couple grades of scotchbrite pads on my hand drill and a finish polish with a cotton wheel and red compound and the hinge pin marks disappeared.

A little aluminum coloured spray bomb paint squirted into the cap and applied with a swab on the heel plates.

The abrasion marks from the top luggage box didn't penetrate the decal. I'll either find another one or stick a flag decal here.

When I did a walk around last night as I was leaving work, I discovered the license plate light not functioning. I had replaced the original with a flat high intensity LED when I modified the rear fender. I had carefully weather proofed it except for a shrink tubed little lump on the positive wire. I didn't realize there was a tiny circuit board inside that took a lot of moisture on the first two days of the ride. It corroded and failed. I found these little LED post lights that double duty as plate fasteners. Problem solved.

The only issue remaining is the worn tires. I tried some spray on tread restorer and it just made a sticky mess and left black marks on my garage floor...

Just kidding
Old 31-07-15, 10:31 PM   #34
Bibio
Mega Poster

i can see the problem with your tyres... you are only using the centre. you need to find more corners.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-15, 03:26 PM   #35
Teejayexc

Quote:
Opposite to what happens when you stick your hand out an airplane window, sticking an arm out causes the bike to turn in the opposite direction. I'm going to have to ponder the physics of that one....
Same principles as counter steering I assume ?

Great trip report btw, and *respect* for a man of your age doing those sort of miles/km
Teejayexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-15, 03:36 PM   #36
Terry Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teejayexc View Post
Same principles as counter steering I assume ?

Great trip report btw, and *respect* for a man of your age doing those sort of miles/km
Yeah, I figured those "physics" out during a quiet moment. You're correct, the added drag to one side causes a slight lean/counter steer action resulting in a turn opposite.

I prefer to be referred to as a "tough old fart". My long suffering wife of 34 years has other colourful choice words.
Old 01-08-15, 05:01 PM   #37
Teejayexc

Quote:

I prefer to be referred to as a "tough old fart". My long suffering wife of 34 years has other colourful choice words.
Lol. We refer to gents of a certain age as TOGs...

Tired Old Gits
Teejayexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-15, 05:43 PM   #38
Terry Lee

Quote:

Tired Old Gits
"Git is a mild pejorative with origins in British English for a silly, incompetent, stupid, annoying, senile, elderly or childish person."

Well then, I'm mildly offended. My wife is laughing hysterically!
Old 01-08-15, 05:48 PM   #39
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:

Tired Old Gits
Or just Old Gits

Like me
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-15, 01:11 PM   #40
Terry Lee

I finally compiled hours and hours of video footage from my helmet cam and have a 1400 km leg compressed down to 20 minutes. I estimate the resulting apparent speed is around 480 km/hour. Disappointingly boring. I thought the effect would be more captivating. Oh well...

I've since transferred the mega sized Micro SD to my laptop for extra storage. I should be able to store a lot of boring videos
YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.