SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-05-13, 10:03 PM   #31
stuR

Default Re: Best insurers for mods?

No i will be well into the minuses by then. I have no receipts for parts as they were all fitted by the previous owner. Its not the bike payout that concerns me, just that if i get into a claim that is 50/50 or my fault(not that i intened to) i dont want my insurer to be able to wriggle out of it because of my undeclared mods. I dont know if this is possible, seems likely with a theft as addons increase desirability but i see no reason it would make a difference on a crash, but ive heard insurers will use any excuse.
Old 19-05-13, 05:35 PM   #32
stuR

Out of curiosity to how much my addons added to my premium i did a quote with and without the adds and it was the same price (well with mce but just using that as an example to test it out, i wont be going with them if i can help it..)
So it seems its only the cowl and paintwork that bump up the cost/make me uninsurable on the comparison sites.
tpo=£417
tpft=£437
fully comp =£589

If i calculate the payout of an accident with fully comp, if i write the bike off i will get at max probably £1200. But then i need to takeaway £550 excess, £170 extra for insurance paid out to get fully comp, £??? extra for the next few years of insurance, more than likely alot! This seems to outweigh getting fully comp...do you recommend just having tpft incase it gets nicked? As i understand it if i had an off that was only involving me with a third party only policy i would just not declare the accident? Im slightly unsure on where you stand in that case
Old 19-05-13, 08:19 PM   #33
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Yeah single vehicle accident just say nowt. You (your insurers) are still liable for your damage to the road surface, road furniture, hedges, gates etc so if at all possible GTF out of the area

If it did get nicked, they'd probably want proof of price of add ons. If someone knocks you off you can claim for the add ons (though you're better off claiming for OEM parts as they're usually more expensive anyway and easier to explain).
Old 19-05-13, 08:21 PM   #34
stuR

Righty. So given that in the event of a claim im going to lose out in the long run, it looks like tpft is my best bet. Cheers all
Old 19-05-13, 08:27 PM   #35
TheRuffellator

+100 for not touching mce, big bunch of nobs! Wicked quotes accept all my mods and haven't changed my premium at all, might be worth a poke
Old 01-08-13, 10:12 PM   #36
stuR

So its time to get some insurance on the beast. Rang carole nash today, and they cant seem to quote me over the phone with the bodywork mod. They may be able to sort something out with the underwriter, but seeing as their quote for a totally standard bike was £900, i dont think ill be using them.

This leaves me with http://www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk/modi...ike-insurance/ to try on saturday, and if they cant insure my bike with the aftermarket paint then im gona have to the the fairings back to standard.

Even with the body as standard, not many people want to insure me on go compare, and althought everyone has said mce are ****e, they are £420 with £550 excess.

I dont see the point insuring my bike for £720+ with bikesure/bennetts on a £400/£750 excess respectively when its only worth £1300.

Anyone got any other options i can try if the link above cant sort me out? Or mce nobs + standard fairings it is lol

Last edited by stuR; 01-08-13 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-08-13, 10:15 PM   #37
DJ123
Mega Poster

Ebike. They were good with the mods on my SV.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-13, 10:21 PM   #38
stuR

Cheers Job ill give em a shout on saturday also..
Old 01-08-13, 10:23 PM   #39
DJ123
Mega Poster

Online company. It allows you to select all different mods. Very quick easy quoting online

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-13, 10:27 PM   #40
stuR

aha ill give it a try now then..whats a full unrestricted bike license, a?

They will insure me with the paint, but for £780. Not really worth almost double my isurance costs just to look flashy! May end up going back to standard and seeing if i can sell the fairings i reckon

Last edited by stuR; 01-08-13 at 10:39 PM.