SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-02-09, 10:13 AM   #31
Mej
Mega Poster

Default Re: Learner Legal SuperMoto

Last edited by Mej; 10-11-21 at 09:36 AM.
Mej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 10:13 AM   #32
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
...and i really need a new ipod...

sorry, that just reminded me of a section on Radio 4 where the presenter asked a woman if she and her family were having to change their lifestyles because of the economic downturn, and she said that they had had to stop importing expensive cheeses from france and cut their SkyTV package back to the cheapest package
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 10:14 AM   #33
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
I'm having to pay for everything for my bike! I did get the helmet and gloves for christmas though, and boots for my birthday. My parents refuse to 'help me out' with paying for the bike because they would rather i get a car.
Assuming your son has a job, then it's possible to pay for everything as long as he doesnt spend any of it. I've saved every penny i've been paid since november, and i really need a new ipod...
My lad has all the kit because I would never, ever take someone pillion without the right gear. He has ridden pillion with me since I passed my test 12 years ago.

If you've saved every penny you have earned since November, your mum and dad ARE helping you out big style by letting you live at home for free. (unless you have a sugar-mummy/daddy! ).

This thread is not about Jon's ability to pay for training / bike (although it has a bearing) but more about what bike / test to go for.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 10:17 AM   #34
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2UK View Post
I bought a YBR125 before i did my bike test, rode it for 3 months and sold it as i got bored. But did teach me a little bit about riding.

Problem with 125's is they are all well expensive, especially new.
Yeah this is what we are finding for the cost of a two/three year old 125 supermoto, he could have a decent K4/K5 SV! Several folks have made the point of getting bored with a 125 quickly.

Old 09-02-09, 10:19 AM   #35
Mej
Mega Poster

Old 09-02-09, 10:20 AM   #36
Mej
Mega Poster

Old 09-02-09, 10:33 AM   #37
Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
My lad has all the kit because I would never, ever take someone pillion without the right gear. He has ridden pillion with me since I passed my test 12 years ago.

If you've saved every penny you have earned since November, your mum and dad ARE helping you out big style by letting you live at home for free. (unless you have a sugar-mummy/daddy! ).

This thread is not about Jon's ability to pay for training / bike (although it has a bearing) but more about what bike / test to go for.
Yeah it's two different situations, i wasn't implying youre spoiling him
My parents said i don't have to pay to live at home till i work full time. I am 17 and still in college.

As for the bike, one of the reasons i chose the SV over a 125 was the price. You don't get a lot for your money with a 125, but they do hold their value more. Another reason i want to go for the SV is that i think i will be safer on the road with more than a CBT. I've already done my CBT, and god help me if i went out to get a bike now...
My advice would be to go for an SV on a restricted licence (i assume he is under 21). I made a thread or two about my situation and the majority of members said that the SV would be the better option, but there were a small amount of conflicting opnions.
Also, you would own the same bike which means you can help eachother out with maintainance, plus you know what it's like to own and ride an SV so you will know how suitable it is for him.

Edit: you don't have an SV anymore, but i assume youve owned one in the past.
Old 09-02-09, 10:43 AM   #38
speedplay

Dont forget though, he can do a 125 test and still get an sv restricted to 33bhp.

He would get the 2 years experience on a restricted licence but be on a big bike and its still the cheaper option over the DAS course.

*missed a page and then read the above post*

Last edited by speedplay; 09-02-09 at 10:44 AM. Reason: muppet.
Old 09-02-09, 10:43 AM   #39
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
As for the bike, one of the reasons i chose the SV over a 125 was the price. You don't get a lot for your money with a 125, but they do hold their value more. Another reason i want to go for the SV is that i think i will be safer on the road with more than a CBT. I've already done my CBT, and god help me if i went out to get a bike now...
My advice would be to go for an SV on a restricted licence (i assume he is under 21). I made a thread or two about my situation and the majority of members said that the SV would be the better option, but there were a small amount of conflicting opnions.
He is over 21 and can go DAS if he can afford it. It's a chunk of money in anyone's book to do DAS. If he went DAS I can see him getting a 400cc SM bike. His commute to work is over two of the best biking roads in N. Wales, so whatever he gets he will enjoy.

Quote:
Also, you would own the same bike which means you can help eachother out with maintainance, plus you know what it's like to own and ride an SV so you will know how suitable it is for him.

Edit: you don't have an SV anymore, but i assume youve owned one in the past.
Indeed, but rode it into a cliff so hardly a good role model!

Old 09-02-09, 10:44 AM   #40
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedplay View Post
Dont forget though, he can do a 125 test and still get an sv restricted to 33bhp.

He would get the 2 years experience on a restricted licence but be on a big bike and its still the cheaper option over the DAS course.
This is indeed the problem we are grappling with!