SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-10-07, 09:38 PM   #31
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Default Re: the longest commute

Back in the 80's we had a controller in our company who lived in the states, 'commuted' for his shift cycle.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-07, 10:33 PM   #32
phil24_7
Mega Poster

can manage my commute in about 2 minutes at 7 in the morning, only got a couple of miles to go!

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-07, 10:38 PM   #33
Sideshow#36

I do 36 miles each day. 18 e/w And on the bike they are an absoulte pleasure.
Old 03-10-07, 02:27 PM   #34
mary

Last term I was commuting 14 miles to work - no distance but it was from hammersmith to hackney down the Euston road and it was a nightmare! I used to spend a lot of time looking wistfully at the bus lane (when i wasn't trying not to get taken out by the general traffic)... Having said that it was a darn site quicker than public transport.
mary
Old 03-10-07, 03:40 PM   #35
Red ones
Mega Poster

29.8 miles each way mainly on the A1(M). Just about the limit of what I would accept - I could only do the additional 6 miles in to the City if I had a guaranteed safe and free bike park.

I did some work with a guy whose home was in the UK, the office was in California (and yes - he was office based). I bumped in to him one day soon after i thought I needed to call him. I asked what he was doing so near home - he was on his way to the office from a meeting in Tokyo! (Great guy and really does fly teh zillion miles for a coffee and chat if it means his work is easier!!)
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-07, 04:06 PM   #36
Grinch

Let me do the math... right 1 year and six months at a 130 miles a day. Less weekends, and lets say 7 weeks holiday, plus 2 weeks sick. So...

(52 + 26 -9) * 5 = 345 Days

So times that by the distance. 345 * 130 = 44850 miles

Oh thats alot... Plus ontop of that I was traveling for 3 hours a day, So I lost 1035 hours of my life just getting to and from work. Meaning I lost 43 and bit days of my life....

How depressing.
Old 03-10-07, 04:17 PM   #37
Ceri JC

On the subject of commuting, I saw an interesting philosophy program where Alain De Bottan looked at what makes people happy. He reckoned the unhappiness brought by a long commute never offset the increase in happiness due to increased wages/a better job further afield. Mind you, he seemed to be basing this on cagers and poor sods waiting for trains. I wonder how different it'd be if he was looking at bikers? I don't mind my longish commute (170 round trip), but I rarely have to do it more than once a week and it's often split over two days. I have done it on consecutive days, but it's a killer and I could never do it full time. I'm actually looking at new jobs at the moment and am wondering about where I should draw the line distance-wise. I'm not prepared to move, but I am prepared to commute a bit further to offset this, but I don't think I could face much more than 100 miles per day (never mind afford it). Ideally, I'd like something I could do on 40mph roads all the way (10-12 miles away) so I could get a cheap 250cc winter hack for and keep running costs down.
Old 03-10-07, 04:41 PM   #38
Pedro68

Ok worst commute I have ever had to do ...

Bristol -> Sheffield (181 miles and bo||ocks to what Google maps thinks about journey time - they've never had to do this at 2pm on a Friday afternoon! 3 hrs 10 mins MY AR$E ... it would regularly take me 5 HOURS).

The above is the first leg of the journey (where I would go to collect my kids) followed by:

Sheffield -> Wallasey (87 miles and Google seems to have got it right this time, or at least my journey was made outside of rush hour by this time, and so 1 hr 45 mins was about right)

This was my Friday night commute (every 2nd Friday actually) for about 6 months.

Then on Sunday night the route was ALMOST reversed, but with an extra stop at the gf's ...

Wallasey -> Sheffield (87 miles) - drop kids off and then onto gf's
Sheffield -> Heathrow (171 miles) - see the gf and then Monday morning ...
Heathrow -> Bristol (104 miles) and back to work

Worst part was the 5 hour or so journey on a Friday afternoon to go pick the kids up ... M5/M42 was just grid-locked most of the time.

So my commute's these days ain't so bad
Old 03-10-07, 05:23 PM   #39
TEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
i'm sure i've got this one covered. Awake at 1, leave at 2, drive 340 miles to work arriving at half 7 i'm knackered!
So its not really a commute then
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
i've been staying in a pub during the week back on thursday evening though after a 10 hour shift