SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-07-06, 09:51 PM   #31
MattTheLoony

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsick
No, he's right. The value of the src attribute must be the same as the full name of the file. The actual extension is irrelevent, so long as they are the same.
Not wishing to teach my granny to suck eggs, I know you were trying to keep thinks simple but.

Errrr. Not quite, the extension tells the web server what to do with the file. You don't write the mime encoding stuff into a HTML file but when the web server presents it ,there are encoding headers dictated by the file type. Similarly a file does not need to be html content, it could be php, perl or an application. The server must know what to do with it and this is dictated either by the file extension, presence in a cgi directory etc.
I know this has been hashed out but what I said is still right. Frames don't care about the extension. The web server obviously has to send the right mime type otherwise the browser won't know what to do with it and will most likely try to download the file. And in the simplistic way that I meant it, care even less whether it is .htm or .html, unless the web server is being particularly picky and not set up for one of them.
Old 28-07-06, 11:21 PM   #32
Ping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip
Right I am back home now - turns out that the Dreamweaver software is insisting on the leading slashes for the linked pages - if I remove them they stay away until I save the frameset, when it puts them back in! Cheers! So now I am having to do all the work on the site, save it all and then manually edit the HTML to remove the slashes and voila it works perfectly!

I am wondering why its insisting on them now as I pulled up a test site I did a while ago and it has them missing?! Even wierder!

Anyway, main thing is I have got to the bottom of it so I can carry on - thanks to everyone for your kind help - especially Queen Ping
Do you use the 'site' functionality? If so that could be what's messing things up. I'm a bit 'old skool' and tend to just create a new blank page, hand code everything (although you can still use the design mode) and upload with an ftp package (I use cuteFTP). Probably a waste of Dreamweaver technology but for me it cuts down on these types of problems since I can't be @rsed to learn the package inside out . I guess in the case of your frameset you could create a new frameset in 'file/new'... MIGHT stop it from trying to rewrite all your links...?

Failing that you could look into the way it handles sites and try to switch off any controls that mess with your links...