Ride to or develop a system 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21-07-07, 11:54 PM   #31
independentphoto

Default Re: Rideouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Really there's no excuse for ridining outwith your limits

Other than the fact that you first need to find them?

Garry
Old 22-07-07, 09:33 PM   #32
-Ralph-

Sorry guys, I'm obviously not explaining myself properly .

Your absolutely right - finding yourself outwith your limits does happen if you come across something you weren't expecting, and unfortunately often results in an accident. But thats not what I am talking about here.

I am talking about knowingly riding outside of your limits in order to keep up with the guy in front in a rideout scenario, often whilst thinking to yourself "I'm going too fast here, but I wan't to keep up with the guy in front". For which in my opinion there is no excuse.

As for finding your limit - I can only speak for myself, and maybe I'm just lacking confidence, but I don't need to ride outwith my limits in order to find them. If I'm riding at a speed where I wouldn't be happy to go any faster, then thats my limit. I don't need to go faster, outwith that limit, just to confirm to myself that I'm no longer happy.

I speak from bitter experience having nearly killed or seriously injured myself doing it on a rideout last year, and I don't try to make any excuse for it, it was stupid. I've apologised to my wife for doing it and promised not to do it again. I suppose I owe everyone here an apology too, 'cos picking me up wouldn't have been nice.
Old 22-07-07, 09:54 PM   #33
-Ralph-

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=93858
Old 23-07-07, 04:56 PM   #34
stuartyboy

Yay....this is my first sticky

Or maybe everyone's thinking see what that booger's started
Old 25-07-07, 02:34 PM   #35
Blue Flame
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartyboy View Post
Gulp...never thought about it like that.

It would be nice to get more of the posse's thoughts but would I be right in thinking a lot are on holiday?
Just back from Corfu

Pre-arranged stops and map handouts are essential. I also like the 'stop at a change of direction junction if you cannot see the bike behind you' suggestion. This has been utilised on a number of previous rideouts to good effect.

That's about it for me.

Edit. Oh and mobile phone numbers shared if you have one.

Previous >> K3 SV650S - Candy Copper;Lower Fairing Set;Fender Extender; Powerbronze Screen; HEL Braided Lines;

Last edited by Blue Flame; 25-07-07 at 02:35 PM. Reason: I am a diddy
Blue Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-07, 06:51 AM   #36
Tiger 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
That's the holy grail if you ask me, either a group that are all comfortable at the same pace, or a group that are all comfortable at their own different paces.
What about a group that are all comfortable at the same slow pace and a group that are all comfortable at their own different frenzied paces? That way we could have rideouts that kept Ralph and Quedos happy both.

One group rides as per Indie's excellent rules and the other group departs 5 minutes before and gets to the next stop any which way. You don't have to stay in the same group all day either.

I suggested this in the thread for Sunday's rideout and got a damn good ignoring but this post is sticky...
Old 29-08-07, 01:26 PM   #37
northwind
Mega Poster

Mmm. To be honest, we're not big on numbers, so 2 groups becomes tricky. What if 5 people turn up and only one person wants to be in group 2? There's solutions that work for the whole group, which is why personally I'm very much against splitting it.

I've been banging on about the very simple, tried and tested marker system and not seen much of a response... Does anyone have an actual objection to it? Am I not explaining it right?

I was going to unsticky this, this week, but now it's started again
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-07, 04:08 PM   #38
Blue Flame
Mega Poster

Northy,

As i said in my earlier post I am all for it.

That and mobile numbers and map and you can't go wrong. There is no pressure to keep up (or slow down for that matter). Just an understanding that if you don't see anybody behind you at a change of direction junction then stop until they have seen you.

Previous >> K3 SV650S - Candy Copper;Lower Fairing Set;Fender Extender; Powerbronze Screen; HEL Braided Lines;
Blue Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-07, 05:31 PM   #39
kitkat

the marker system is a great system. that way people can ride at their own pace. those who want to ride fast can do. those who wish to ride slower can do safe in the knowledge that they wont get lost.

I have also noticed that those who feel they cant/dont want to/wont ride fast start off at the back of the ride. you have to ride faster to keep up when at the back. maybe an idea for those who feel they are not fast riders to start up front. those faster riders can play at the back. slowing down and blasting to catch up.
Old 29-08-07, 05:52 PM   #40
northwind
Mega Poster

I'm preaching to the converted The people who like the marker system have all done it, I think!

Calling Onyerbike! At the start of the thread you were a bit anti-organisation... Do you still feel the same after the AR? Bearing in mind that this year was a very organised rideout, and that we wouldn't go to that extent as we don't have 60 cats to herd. Just in terms of marking junctions etc to remove that niggling doubt.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote