SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-11-08, 04:17 PM   #31
martianskippy

Default Re: Riding with pillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed View Post
I've only ridden any distance with my brother on the back of the SV. He's 6 foot 1 so he could peer over my shoulder and see what was happening so that he could brace himself accordingly. Apart from deciding to have a wiggle about as I was going over the cobbles on Scarborough sea front he was a great pillion. Being 21 he was completely fearless but I rode sensibly as if I bin the bike and kill myself it's my own doing but I would never risk riding too quickly with someone on the back (although we may have seen just under 110MPH ona closed road officer).
Gee.. you guys are so lucky to find all those closed roads.. I've never been so lucky, hence so far my Suzie's not gone faster than 70mph..
Old 06-11-08, 04:37 PM   #32
Baph

I agree with the 'observant pillion' comments. Whenever I've been pillion, the only time I slide is when the rider brakes a little too harshly.

The last bike I was on didn't have a grab rail, and I didn't need to hold on to the rider either. Though I did give him a hug whilst shouting "brake you muppet!" (put my hand on the tank a little close to the jewels, I think he got the message!! )
Old 06-11-08, 05:12 PM   #33
Draper

ahh thanks everyone, some interesting stuff

as some of you have said, it's a little different when theres someone else youve got to look out for so was taking it easy (except trying to show off with acceleration once or twice)

she said she loved it though so happy days
Old 06-11-08, 05:34 PM   #34
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper View Post

she said she loved it though so happy days
Can't go wrong with that, you must be doing something right
Old 06-11-08, 05:51 PM   #35
Sosha

Hmm not a great pilion me - Have tried "Hand on the tank" It made a good accompaniment to a4se in the air.

Grrrrr
Old 06-11-08, 06:04 PM   #36
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
I'm sure lissa will agree when she turns up. Pillion should be paying as much attention to road as the rider to anticipate braking and throttle abuse.

+1 million

I don't use the grab rail, because we haven't got one. I just reach one arm round Pete to brace when braking hard, but because I watch the road I am ready for that.

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-08, 11:30 PM   #37
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Also with pillion doesn't mean you have to be doing 3mph everywhere, just be slightly less aggressive with everything.
Old 07-11-08, 09:08 AM   #38
startrek.steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyorkie_chris View Post
Yeah when I first started wearing my leathers they had loads of grip (compared to waterproofs!) then once the leathers got a bit of wear they soon lost that. We want to get some of that grippy seat stuff, would come in handy.
I got some of that webbing stuff for a pound & made a non-slip seat cover, but the wife & lad wouldnt test it for me... said it looked like a hair-net!!

Steve
Old 07-11-08, 09:25 AM   #39
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
+1 million

I don't use the grab rail, because we haven't got one. I just reach one arm round Pete to brace when braking hard, but because I watch the road I am ready for that.

On the very rare occasion that I go pillion these days, I don't hold on either, if your an experienced pillion, you anticipate everything the pilot does.....apart from looking at the scenery

I've been on the back of YC once or twice...its not the same, he scares the pants off me, I hold on for dear life

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-08, 11:14 AM   #40
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
I've been on the back of YC once or twice...its not the same, he scares the pants off me, I hold on for dear life