SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-02-05, 12:25 PM   #31
Lionheart

I did mine at Kent and Sussex in Tunbridge wells. Full package was about £650, but I had to do an extra day (coz i was bad )., and that cost a bit more.
If you have road experience then you probably won't need to do the full first 2 day on a 125, but I think they might persuade you to do at least a days.
Am i right in thinking that the scooter is a twist and go ? If so I don't think they would be too happy to let you out on a 500 with no clutch control/gear experience.
Good luck with the theory.
Old 17-02-05, 12:32 PM   #32
thor

Yeah, it's a twist and go.

The metropolis guy said as much. Their 3day course is essentially "Here's your 500, let's go." so I was thinking of hiring a 125 manual for a week before hand. However the cost of the hire would be at least £100 which is why all in all the 5 day one seems like a good idea.
Old 17-02-05, 12:38 PM   #33
Ceri JC

I learnt with A.R.T. Abbey Rider Training near Swindon.

Got on really well with nearly all the instructors (one was a bit of a Hitler and not very suited as a teacher, although he was admittedly, very, very good on a bike). Cost something like £620 for absolutely everything, they booked tests etc. for me, gave me copies of theory books, mock theory test for PC cds, etc. well impressed.

They also sold basic gear (cheap lids/gloves) at close to cost prices (cheaper than you could get in a bike dealership for the same models).

Good ratio of pupils: instructors, nice long sessions. All round very good.

They also covered some more advanced tips that weren't needed for the test, countersterring, leaning the bike up to break hard on bends, etc. I'd strongly recommend them to anyone looking at learning.
Old 17-02-05, 01:40 PM   #34
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

I hadnt been on a bike (with an engine in it anyway) for over 10 years.
Did a 3 day DAS with Freedom. Cost £500 al in... kit, bikes, FUEL, test etc. Even teas and coffees on site were free..... and made by the instructors!!
Check their site
Nice bunch.

And anyone who charges for fuel is a imo

Edit.... they are located right behind J&S accessories in Watford (not really Watford tho tbh.... i live in mill hill and it takes about 10 mins up the A41. dont even get to Watford). The good thing is that they will negotiate discounts for you for kit etc if you pass with them.

When i passed (last june) i hadnt used a geared bike much before... it came to me quite quickly tbh.
They have a 96% pass rate as a school and they like to keep it that way, so if they feel you need extar on something they will take the time with you.
I had a 12 day gap between day 2 and 3 (went on hols doh!) so when i came to day 3 with the test in the afternoon i was really bad at U turns. Instructor spent ages with me getting it right.
Passed first time with 6 minor faults.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-05, 01:56 PM   #35
Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman
Did a 3 day DAS with Freedom. Cost £500 al in... kit, bikes, FUEL, test etc. Even teas and coffees on site were free..... and made by the instructors!!
Check their site
Nice bunch.

Tbh, I think I paid about £5 in total for fuel. I mentioned to the instructor that I had heard it was very unusual to be charged, but he didn't know any schools that didn't charge.

Overall, the DAS was good. I believe I paid a little more than average for my retest as other schools chuck in free tuition and a bigger discount on the test, but I passed, thats the main thing.
Old 17-02-05, 02:03 PM   #36
keithd

paid £550 for my DAS. 4 full days on an ER5, one day on a 125 for the CBT and half day on the day of the test. Theory on top of that (forgot how much that is!)

never paid for any fuel. and at the price paid for the DAS i'd have told them to go do one if they suggested it!!
Old 17-02-05, 02:10 PM   #37
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman
Check their site
Nice bunch.

Tbh, I think I paid about £5 in total for fuel. I mentioned to the instructor that I had heard it was very unusual to be charged, but he didn't know any schools that didn't charge.

Overall, the DAS was good. I believe I paid a little more than average for my retest as other schools chuck in free tuition and a bigger discount on the test, but I passed, thats the main thing.
Yeh Freedom do some free tuition if they feel you were hard done by on the test or just froxe up etc.

Like you say kate... main thing is that you passed. But i'm with Keith... i'd have told em to shove it. That much money and they still want another fiver out of you? Tight gits!
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-05, 03:17 PM   #38
GSXR Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01
I'm so glad I did my test way back when.

just book the day, pay the test fee (can't remember how much but only a couple of quid).

Oh, and you had to pay for your own coal

Cheers Mark.
mate we're not talking about penny farthings here, we me MOTORBIKES, real ones with more than a small motor and a bicycle frame
Old 17-02-05, 03:57 PM   #39
unlucky rider

when I did my DAS in PLymouth it was only £110 a day and i had 2 days then took my test (failed for being stupied) then did another day refresher then passed . All for about £440 all in but that is in plymouth.
Old 17-02-05, 04:23 PM   #40
pepe

I did a 4 day course at Rex Judds on Burnt Oak Broadway, can't remember excatly how much it was, around £500 I think. Nice guys, nice roads and your not to far away from the Hendon test centre. The guy who taught me was Hong Kong John and rode a goldwing, patient and very good at explaining what the examnier wants to see you do.

Where ever you go, good luck, relax and enjoy.

Glenn