SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

Old 17-04-08, 12:56 PM   #31
falc

Default Re: Plaque for the site of Marks crash - Suggestions

Thats a great idea, be good to use the org if poss failing that chip on the GM too

Waiting till pay day then will make contribution so don't worry its coming

Good message too
Old 17-04-08, 01:03 PM   #32
philbut

Now a mark burger... so that would be the burger where you think you are getting beef but end up with fish or something like that, in true ASM tradition
Old 17-04-08, 01:19 PM   #33
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbut View Post
Now a mark burger... so that would be the burger where you think you are getting beef but end up with fish or something like that, in true ASM tradition
No, that would be when you think your getting a burger but end up with a bowl of cornflakes.

I think a plaque should be just fine. Somehow, I feel branding a type of burger after Mark is stretching things somewhat.
Old 17-04-08, 01:21 PM   #34
Warthog

I think I missed a "" off my Markburger comment
Old 17-04-08, 01:29 PM   #35
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Ok, so I am one of the "foreigners" that never actually met Mark, but his death did affect me quite deeply.

Thanks however to a "group therapy session" on MSN at the time of his funeral (ended up with the few of us just saying "Meh" a lot), I have mostly managed to get over it - to the extent that I thought that coming on Tuesday Night, or cancelling plans made months ago to come to the ride on Saturday would be a step backwards for me in dealing with this, I think that when I finally get to meet all you guys I would like it to be under happier terms.

However I did think of something that I was originally planning to put forwards for on the site, but that may work as a plaque.

I PM's BigApe about this earlier and he suggested just putting it out on here for comment, so thats what I will do.

Please realise tho, that this is still very much up in the air, I dont know if it will be possible to get done for sure yet, but I would like the option to be put forwards before anything is settled on.

The PM to Si is as below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlier PM to BigApe
My Brother-in-laws cousin is a comic book artist, a fairly good one - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Erskine.

I sent him the following email.

"About a week ago, a guy I knew on an internet forum was killed in a bike accident.

I was wondering if you could take a tiny bit of time and do a quick pencil sketch for me.

Was thinking of a figure on a sports-bike, wheelie-ing past the traditional "Death" stereo-type with a caption of the guys catchphrase underneath it of "Meh".

Something postcard sized, with no detail really, hopefully no more than about 15 mins work - think convention sketch.

Sorry to just pop up from no-where with this."
I think that something like that to the side of the text stuff above would work.

Let me know what you think

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-08, 02:12 PM   #36
DanAbnormal

This is very odd. I'm a graphics artist in my spare time and I have already started a peice of work in memory of Mark. It was purely for my own purposes. It's a rear shot of him on his bike, comic book style, it even has his lopsided riding position. I've yet to finish the design but will scan and post once it's finished.
Old 17-04-08, 02:18 PM   #37
Grinch

Just my opinion... but I'm never keen on plaques to mark the site that someone 'died', its rather a bad memory to me. I'd rather myself have a bench up somewhere I liked to go, or maybe a plaque at my fav biking spot... Or cus I'm cheap, my name carved in a tree.
Old 17-04-08, 02:32 PM   #38
Demonz

In NZ we have little white crosses that mark the sites of road accidents. It helps to serve as a memory but also as a suttle warning to other motorists to take it easy.

Was thinking of something similar but more appropriate to bikers is to place a concrete cast of Alpinstars boots (painted white of course).

Something to toot at when we ride past...

Fitting or not - I dont know - just an idea
Old 17-04-08, 03:52 PM   #39
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoGrant View Post

Was thinking of something similar but more appropriate to bikers is to place a concrete cast of Alpinstars boots (painted white of course).

Something to toot at when we ride past...

Fitting or not - I dont know - just an idea
It'd get stolen within hours if not minutes.
Old 17-04-08, 04:40 PM   #40
StreetHawk

A plaque on the wall at fox's gets my vote..