SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Riding Gear Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 03-11-08, 05:29 PM   #31
Grinch

Default Re: Heated Grips?

I can send you the details of the part number I got from Maplins, and while I have bad electics I'm still suspecting the controller have a problem as I hear it from so many bikes. At the moment if I have more then my parking lights on, then the grips go off and I know the bike is charging fine as my battery is always lovely when I get home. I just think they are a little 2 sensative, most of my problems are bad earths, which I have run new ones for, and the grips have a direct connection and still fail to work.
Old 05-11-08, 12:50 PM   #32
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
I can send you the details of the part number I got from Maplins, and while I have bad electics I'm still suspecting the controller have a problem as I hear it from so many bikes. At the moment if I have more then my parking lights on, then the grips go off and I know the bike is charging fine as my battery is always lovely when I get home. I just think they are a little 2 sensative, most of my problems are bad earths, which I have run new ones for, and the grips have a direct connection and still fail to work.
Seems like then its a general oxford thing, perhaps then the controller is better suited to something like a Pan Euro or something...you kow, a bike that really is sort of a car but with half the wheels

I might try and get one of those Dr Bike controllers someone mentioned
Old 05-11-08, 01:03 PM   #33
Grinch

I've wired up the basics for the controller, but as it was dark I couldn't really test it. So might try to have a go this weekend.
Old 05-11-08, 07:05 PM   #34
Alpinestarhero

cool, let me know how you get on with it
Old 05-11-08, 07:44 PM   #35
ridelikeaturtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_h View Post
Other problem with the new ones is it's a lot more difficult to operate it if you can't see it.
On the curvy you can mount the new controller on the supplied bracket off the left-side clip-on mount. It's at a perfect angle to adjust easily while riding, stays out of the rain as it's mostly beneath the screen, and doesn't interfere with either a tankbag or the clocks.

IMG_2375_sm.jpg
Old 05-11-08, 09:47 PM   #36
Grinch

Ah you have the third generation controller... mines the second gen.
Old 08-11-08, 02:14 PM   #37
Alpinestarhero

my dad checked my battery today...its charging ok...but only 26% good (im not certain what that means exactly but its not 100%). So im gonna get a new one, see if that cures my hotgrip woes. I gues if its only on 26% in a nice warm garage, then when i come out in the morning and its 3 deg.C, the battery will be uber-carp
Old 08-11-08, 02:50 PM   #38
stevo_sv

i had the 3rd gen fitted to my 57 plate aprilia,
while they were hot on a warmer day, on a cold day there was no point them being on the wind chill blew the heat away before you could feel it.
they worked well with handlebars mitts combined though, if anything a little too hot.
but its hard to mount mitts to a sports bike without compromising the operation on the handlebars.
Old 09-11-08, 11:37 AM   #39
xXBADGERXx

Yeah some sort of happy medium would be nice
Old 09-11-08, 12:51 PM   #40
xXBADGERXx

Lily , the controller will turn the grips off if it drops below 13v IIRC . I tend to start the bike up and drive down the street and once on a straight road with no junctions , I press the button in and start the grips up . It is not a great idea and is quite risky if approaching junctions due to only having one hand on the bar . The new oxford controller is a bit of a pain really .