SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: Which is faster over the same section of road
SS600 ( GSXR, CBR, Ninja, R6 ) 61 92.42%
SV 5 7.58%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14-05-07, 10:32 AM   #31
Rossi

Default Re: Which would be faster

I would be faster, of course!
Old 14-05-07, 11:19 AM   #32
Steve H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Assuming both bikes are completely stock, I'd say the SS600 would win, but not by as large a margin as a lot of people would expect.
What he says.
Old 14-05-07, 11:20 AM   #33
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi View Post
I would be faster, of course!
And Casey Stoner would be faster still

Matt
Old 14-05-07, 11:23 AM   #34
Born again

The ss600 easily, a fairer fight would be a Ducati 749 Vs a ss600 then I would take the twin over the il4.........
Old 14-05-07, 11:26 AM   #35
Rossi

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
And Casey Stoner would be faster still

Matt
I thought we were talking about corners, not the "open up the throttle and let the engine do the talking" kind of riding.

But that topbox of yours has given me an idea...
Old 14-05-07, 11:26 AM   #36
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born again View Post
The ss600 easily, a fairer fight would be a Ducati 749 Vs a ss600 then I would take the twin over the il4.........
Let's say an SV vs. a 749 Dark (they have more budget suspension than the yellow/red ones) and it'd be even fairer.
Old 14-05-07, 12:22 PM   #37
Toypop

To be honest whilst the SS600 is more nimble I always found that self preservation prevented me from pushing the SV to its limit down a twisty public road so I don't believe the SS600 would carry any extra corner speed unless I was prepared to take unacceptable risks.

Under braking though the SS600 is better and it will fly out of the corners quicker. Any loss in low rev grunt is compensated for by shorter gearing in comparison to the SV. In practice they never feel less punchy than the SV when coming off of corners, just more buzzy from the higher revs.

A lot of it is the rider and who will take the most risks. But put the same guy on all both bikes and they will be quicker in the order of SS600 then SV.

Controversially I was able to ride many bumpy twist roads quicker on my SV than on my 6R but that was due to that particular model having a comedy rear shock.
Old 14-05-07, 12:27 PM   #38
Rog

I personally think that this is a little unfair as the SS600's generally have better suspension and brakes than the SV.

I Think a fairer test would be SS600 versus a modded SV with say gixxer suspension mods and better brakes then you really would be comparing engine and frame like for like.

I think this would show that the SV Engine is very capable and that it would be a very close run thing.
Old 14-05-07, 01:05 PM   #39
Shinsei Jutsu

After owning both I would have to go with the ss600. Personally I felt far more confident on it and so far better and faster. The better suspension and brakes really helped.
I really don't think there is that much more power low down on the sv than on a ss600, but even if there is then the ss600 would just stay higher in the rev range.
Old 14-05-07, 01:10 PM   #40
Whynot

I would be interested in knowing how many of the people who voted for the SV have actually ridden a SS600 .....