SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-03-06, 02:23 PM   #31
DanAbnormal

Hmm, I stood at the roadside once in my bike gear and flouro vest and every car that went past slowed right down. Not a bad idea but I just could not be arsed.
Old 17-03-06, 03:03 PM   #32
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
My advice would be not to do anything. The last thing you want is some gorilla to get out of his car at the next set of lights and start some aggro. If you've a good memory then take a mental note of his number and then report it at your local plod shop, just take a book with you as service is none too quick and be aware that they'll do anything they can to do absolutely nowt.

Wot he said.

Sadly, I've given up contacting the police at all. As Jonboy says, they will do anything in their power to avoid getting involved and even if they take the details, you can bet nothing comes of it. I reported someone running a red light at 60, in a 30, who nearly had me off, then proceded to throw things out of the window, swerved out to try to knock me off during an overtake, etc. the chances of them acting on a tip off regarding a mobile phone while driving is nil.

The answer is that there should be more traffic cops who spot this sort of thing themselves and reprimand those concerned. Unfortunately for some reason the powers that be (whilst they conceed that driving a car/riding a bike is the most dangerous thing most of us do) somehow see traffic policing as unneccesary and far less important than, for example, prosecuting a lad who has had a few too many beers from taking a leak up against a wall in an alley.
Old 17-03-06, 06:56 PM   #33
DanAbnormal

[quote="Ceri JC"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
The answer is that there should be more traffic cops who spot this sort of thing themselves and reprimand those concerned. Unfortunately for some reason the powers that be (whilst they conceed that driving a car/riding a bike is the most dangerous thing most of us do) somehow see traffic policing as unneccesary and far less important than, for example, prosecuting a lad who has had a few too many beers from taking a leak up against a wall in an alley.
The best post I've read in a long time and could not agree more. I commute 25 miles on the M25 every day and can sometimes go days without seeing a patrol car. I know there are undercover one's but not that many.
Old 17-03-06, 10:31 PM   #34
jonboy

I didn't write that!

Old 18-03-06, 01:15 PM   #35
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward8124
meh i usually kick the wing mirror on the way past or shout at them, rev engine hand gestures the lot. Don't care if there are nutters out there......im one of them and i dont do people on the mobys while driving.
Do you ever stop to think of the effect your actions have on the rest of us that are following?

Tbh, if you can't ride in London and rise above it then perhaps you should be questioning whether you should be commuting on a bike.

The reason I say that is because stupid, careless driving is such a common occurrence it WILL happen on a daily basis at some point in your journey.

I also say that because at the end of the day you kicking wing mirrors could see you break one and be charged with criminal damage.

You will annoy the driver making things worse for other bikes following you.

You don't do yourself any favours either riding that worked up.

You seem to think being a nutter is a good thing. So please tell me how you distinguish yourself from van man in my case?

Because frankly, bikers that ride aggressively do me no favours because I have to deal with the aftermath after they've ****ed off and I have an angry driver now deliberately blocking me.

Road rage, violence and agression are too common on the road now. Frankly giving it even more makes it worse.

I just shake my head and ride on these days. Its not worth losing your temper over imo. But then having been on the receiving end of a nutter I know better these days.

Someone summed it up to me once as the 30 second rule. Deep breath, ignore the stupid driver, and in 30 seconds after you've gone they're out of your life. Far, far less stressful that way.
Old 18-03-06, 01:33 PM   #36
jonboy

Sadly this is true; there's no point in retaliation and foolish bravado, just forget it and move on - it's simply part of riding a bike.

Old 18-03-06, 01:34 PM   #37
Tigerrrr.......

Well said, Lynw.

Couldn't agree more.
Old 18-03-06, 02:33 PM   #38
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I agree with that too.Live and let live.If you want to be a Policeman join the Police.There's another thread on shopping cars with no tax on them and IMHO the same applies.You can get very worked up over the minor misdemeanors of others but who really cares?Not me
Old 18-03-06, 03:34 PM   #39
timwilky
Mega Poster

I have been tempted to try one of those boxes that are supposed to block mobiles. I would have it fastened to the bike and permanently on. Just think a 50 yd mobile free zone round me. Great motorists not using their phone, pedestians no longer stepping out because they are on the phone. But. hmmmmm won't that make them more phone concious as they attempt to look at their phones, whilst they work out where thier call has gone.. hmmm sound like I might prefer them half awake and using their phones than totally dumb and attempting to dial whilst I am around.

Although on my journey from hell home last night I overtook an X5 who was doing 50 in the middle lane of the M6 using his phone and clear in the 1st lane for about 600yds, so that is where he should have been. Gave him a blast on the horn. He looked. I indicated the phone and gesticulated in a manner to indicate what I thought of him. 2 fingers and he continued to gas no doubt telling someone that he was the victim of road rage. Oh to be a copper.
Old 18-03-06, 05:58 PM   #40
madmal

inform the police - nothing comes of it as we all know too well.

hand gestures, retaliation of any kind and you run the risk of some hyped up attitude swerving slightly to their great amusement and the possibility of you losing it all together.........bigtime.

sadly its all too common thesedays. we would all like to see this kind of action lead to something like a 5 day safety course on common sense/dangers of using mobile in transit.

if nothing learned the shear boredom of their stupid actions would drive itself home. you do well to ride by safely and enjoy the day. what goes around comes around.